New Dorcy LED lights

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't find any existing threads on this topic, so I'm starting a new one here.

Dorcy has many new lights on the way. Many of these designs are old hat--for example, the 1xAA and 1xAAA lights have probably already been outdone by Fenix--but there are some interesting ones that will be worth trying out.

Luxeon drop-in. Compatible with more than just Mag. (March 2007).

0.5 watt, 4xAAA light. Form factor of the PT Attitude.

0.5 watt, 4xAA light. A revival of the Cool Blue. :thumbsup:

K2, 2x123A with large reflector. Good heatsinking is advertised. This should be ripe for modding with a better emitter. (March 2007).

ginaz

Enlightened
some interesting stuff there, thanks. another good thing is that target and wally tend to carry a pretty good selection of dorcy so the odds of finding these down the street are high.

jlomein

Enlightened
asdalton said:

Does anyone else find this to be the cutest flashlight you have ever seen?

41_2498_2.jpg

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
These are nice for the price (if they price is low enough.) But the LED's and the circuits are about 2 years behind the curve! It is sure is a shame! Going backwards from decent dorcy super 1 watt. They should be making better ones by now.

Rant!!!!!!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
jlomein said:

Wow, that's a cute light. One thing though, please no hotlinking. Use a hosting site for pics or dorcy's site is going to seize up.

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, I have the original cool blue, replaced the led bulb with an SMJ-PR2 bulb
and used two dummy batteries to supply the correct voltage, it made a great host even though the hotspot was very tight and focused

DaveG

Enlightened
My wife gave me a 3 pack of the 0.5 watt Dorcy for Christmas.QVC was selling them, 3 to a cardboard box,with a paper for instructions.Came in colors of one blue,red,black.Body is much like PT-Attitude,with a on-off switch on the tail cap with a clip.Think the price for 3 was around $27. or so,cant find them on QVC now.If you like the PT-Attitude you might like this one,its is brighter for sure.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton said:
I couldn't find any existing threads on this topic, so I'm starting a new one here.

Thanks for the pointer, asdalton.

Dorcy on the move! Their LED upgrade-dropin module is potentially very important for CPFers. I'll also be interested to check out their new 2AAA and 2AA lights, as well as their new 1AAA and 1AA lights.

Keeping track of new offerings by the large mass market companies - Eveready, Rayovac, Dorcy, Garrity, TaskForce, etc. - is an important function of CPF.

Hopefully, when these lights become available, reviews will show up on CPF.

Nebula

Enlightened
Yes, it may be one of the "cutest" lights I have seen. The problem is that I cannot SEE with it. The output is much too dim for me personally.

jlomein said:

41_2498_2.jpg

Nebula

Enlightened
I posted a note in the Dorcy 1xAAA thread a couple of days ago on the new 1xAAA and a couple of others. These new lights look very interesting.

BTW - I do not believe that the Cool Blue is to be ressurected, as I do not see the "Available in March 2007" note posted on the link to that light. From what I can tell all of the "new" lights are noted as "Available in March 2007." Dorcy has come up with an impressive list of new lights nonetheless.
asdalton said:

Dorcy has many new lights on the way. Many of these designs are old hat--for example, the 1xAA and 1xAAA lights have probably already been outdone by Fenix--but there are some interesting ones that will be worth trying out.

Luxeon drop-in. Compatible with more than just Mag. (March 2007).

0.5 watt, 4xAAA light. Form factor of the PT Attitude.

K2, 2x123A with large reflector. Good heatsinking is advertised. This should be ripe for modding with a better emitter. (March 2007).

Illum

Flashaholic
ringzero said:
Their LED upgrade-dropin module is potentially very important for CPFers.

Im not too excited by 0.5 watt leds...dunno why
bought one from target...riverrock 2AAA 0.5 watt, returned it:ohgeez:

but the dropin module looks more like a PR bulb that the Mag productions IMO...:rock:
I just hope the price isnt as horrible as everled
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/everled.htm

jlomein

Enlightened
Nebula said:
Yes, it may be one of the "cutest" lights I have seen. The problem is that I cannot SEE with it. The output is much too dim for me personally.

Do you think it would be easy to have it customized with like a 3 watt luxeon LED or something? It uses 4 AA batteries...

I really don't know much about modding.

Bearcat

Enlightened
jlomein said:

41_2498_2.jpg

I have one of the later versions, but the beam is way too narrow for my liking for the small amount of light it puts out for its size. However, the run-time is forever and it is tough as nails. I wish they would make a new brighter bulb for it. I heard somewhere that someone put a smjled PR2 in one and ran it off of 2 cells by using dummy cells. I wonder if it was any brighter and had more spill.

x2x3x2

Banned
Anyone knows which online store (with int'l shipping) will usually carry Dorcy products?

I like that new 4AA light, mainly cos it has the batts in parallel. Nice stubby design n with some mods could probably get SLPP performance in a much smaller form :)

The 2x CR123 just look FIERCE!

http://www.dorcy.com/img_products/41_4295_2.jpg

Edited to change hotlinked image to reference link. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

metalhed

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
Anyone knows which online store (with int'l shipping) will usually carry Dorcy products?

I like that new 4AA light, mainly cos it has the batts in parallel. Nice stubby design n with some mods could probably get SLPP performance in a much smaller form :)

The 2x CR123 just look FIERCE!

http://www.dorcy.com/img_products/41_4295_2.jpg

Edited to change hotlinked image to reference link. - Empath

I don't know how soon the new lights might come in to stock, or even if they will or not, but BrightGuy sells Dorcy brand lights and ships internationally via UPS (I believe). There are probably others, but BG is the first to come to my mind.

And your right, the K2 light looks tough....heck, at the right price it might be a great light as is. Definitely better than some classic brands of lights I can think of...but won't name.

Note: Empath...I didn't even look to see if I'd quoted a hot-linked image initially, my bad. Thanks for correcting the link.

Last edited: