The Smallest, Brightest, Longest Lasting 4aa Flashlight.

fefrie

Newly Enlightened
I first came to this forum in regards to batteries and chargers, but didnt realize that there is such thing as an "ultimate" flashlight.

Longest lasting may not be really that important since I'll be using rechargables anyways, but a "Man, how bright is that tiny thing?" effect is something that I'd like.

I've been partial to incandecents, I have a unit already from, of all places, Radio Shack, and it casts a decent light, but a newer brighter nifter torch would be nice too.

I've got a bad opinion on LED's since I've mostly seen cheap imports with that vague diffuse light they provide.

I'd love something that has that super bright "searchlight" effect, but again, anything "impressively" bright would be great.

Plus running on 4aa's would be nice since I have those rechargeable batteries already.

What do you think is the brightest, coolest, light out there?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Not quite the coolest and maybe not the brightest, but the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA LUX is a damn tough and pretty bright light.

I am QUITE sure others will shoot me down here directly!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight 4AA Luxeon has a bright and focused beam, which is not at all like the diffuse beams that you have probably seen from arrays of 5-mm LEDs. This light also has regulation to run on alkaline batteries for 4 hours at maximum brightness before getting dimmer.

Just make sure that you order the Luxeon version and not the 7LED version.

AlgaeEater

Newly Enlightened
When you say "4AA", around here that's a big red flag to shout about the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. Simply put, I think it's the best in that category.

It hits 2 of the 3 criteria, bright and long lasting. Light however, I think not. It's going to be hard finding a relatively light 4AA flashlight considering the very nature of having 4 batteries inside a housing, but other than that, I also recommend the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon.

drizzle

Enlightened
As tempting as it may be to shoot down the Playboy :p , I also heartily recommend the Propoly Lux. If you have your heart set on a hot wire, I also own the Propoly Incandescent and it's very nice too.

These are reasonably priced fairly mainstream (in CPF circles) kinds of lights. I don't know if these are the best but they are really good and in my price range.

Added: Responding to Algae Eater, I would say that they are probably close to as light as you will find. The best way to reduce weight on a 4AA is to use Lithium batteries.

MikeF

Enlightened
The SL 4AA is great. Is it OK to use with Lithium and NiMH batteries? I recall some warnings about Lithiums, but I may be mistaken.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my purposes, the 7led 4aa is better. Good flood for working under cabinets, etc. If I need a spot for frog gigging, I've got something else.

lumenal

Enlightened
I have the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon flashlight, and highly recommend it. Theres nothing bad to say about it.

Perhaps what I like most is the RULER FLAT regulation for 5 plus hours using Energizer 2500 NiMH.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Wow!

Nobody has slapped me down!

Once upon a time I was in the deep dark woods. We had several lights between two of us.

I had a P60SF module in a Brinkmann Maxfire with two fresh SF 123s and a SL4AALUX with 4 freshly charged Energizer 2300s. The SL let me see everything the P60 did.

The P60 would be dark in about 1 hour. The SL would be just as bright in about 4 hours.

"Nuff said???

Newuser01

Enlightened
I have both and I like both.

But they are used differently. Lux is better for walking and pointing and looking at things at a distant. Throw is better them all but may be some luxIII's. 7 LED version is great for work and indoor use! long run time on these are first class. I put one in a mug upside down for candel/indirect lighting needs.

I say get them both and you are coverred.
:rock::rock::rock:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the 4AA ProPoly Lux. It is that good! As the Cree/Seoul LEDs filter "down" to the AA level I'd expect to see some competition but not in the immediate future.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I don't have a ProPoly for direct comparison, but from what I've read the UK 4AA eLED, which I do have, is smaller and longer lasting. It will give about 10 hours of flat well regulated output that has a nice balance of flood and throw followed by many more hours of usable light. My particular model is apparently no longer available, but there is a new one (UK eLED Zoom) with two levels that performs like the old model on low and gives more throw on high. The ProPoly will probably still out-throw this light. I believe the prices for this and the ProPoly are similar.

Geoff

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Dorcy Cool blue Led flashlight, they claim it will run for up to 200 hours on a set of 4 AA alkaline cells, it used a single 5mm Led

AlgaeEater

Newly Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
I don't have a ProPoly for direct comparison, but from what I've read the UK 4AA eLED, which I do have, is smaller and longer lasting. It will give about 10 hours of flat well regulated output that has a nice balance of flood and throw followed by many more hours of usable light. My particular model is apparently no longer available, but there is a new one (UK eLED Zoom) with two levels that performs like the old model on low and gives more throw on high. The ProPoly will probably still out-throw this light. I believe the prices for this and the ProPoly are similar.

Geoff

Is this the newer model on the review or the older model?

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_zoom.htm

Just curious since I'm always looking for other flashlights in the 4AA category.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Squawk! Polly want a ProPoly!

Yeah.

Around January '06, I got sick of Coast-type junk and looked online for flashlight reviews. Wonder of wonders, I ended up at www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html. After reading about 3/4 of Doug's reviews, I decided on the ProPoly (Luxeon, of course). It's so great that I ended up... well... look at my list of lights. I have zero willpower when it comes to the shiny.

My review of the SLPPL4AA

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an incan, don't forget the Preinceton Tec Tec-40.

You can get them for as little as $8, including batteries. You can mod it with a brighter bulb (the stocker is no slouch), and even for use withe NiMh.