Introducing: Seoul P4 U bin Turbo LED Module - more outdoor beamshots !!!

wquiles

Flashaholic
Several weeks back I created a Turbo LED Module for the KT4 head using the Cree XR-E LED, as shown here .

This time I am using the new Seoul P4 U bin emiter that I just received from the Shoppe. To see what is the best I can hope for, I built this module with a 1000mA Downboy converter from the Shoppe :naughty:

This time I saved you the agony of seeing the lathe pictures. Here is the completed Seoul Turbo LED Heatsink on the right. Standard 5W Luxeon Module on the left:
IMG_8821.JPG

IMG_8822.JPG

Here I drill the holes for the wires and for the spring:
IMG_8823.JPG

The Seoul LED's from the Shoppe. This one has the legs cut, getting ready to be epoxied in place:
IMG_8825.JPG

IMG_8826.JPG

IMG_8828.JPG

IMG_8832.JPG

Here is the completed module, sans the electronics:
IMG_8838.JPG

Here is the completed module:
IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8943.JPG

IMG_8945.JPG

IMG_8946.JPG

IMG_8948.JPG

Here is a "family group photo". 5W on top, Cree XR-E in the middle, and Seoul P4 on the bottom (sorry for the off-color shot!):
IMG_8949.JPG

5W on the left, Cree XR-E in the middle, Seoul P4 on the right:
IMG_8950.JPG

IMG_8952.JPG

From what I have played with the module so far, as I suspected this LED (like the Cree) does work better when sitting higher than the Luxeon predecessor (5W). I am still fine-tunning the exact length of the post, but the results are much better than with the Cree XR-E given the wider beam shape of the Seoul. One thing I can state already is that with a normal Turbo LED module the Seoul LED would sit too low and will give less than optimum focus (I tested this already by shimming this unit I built), so as McGizmo has stated several time, proper focus requires the Seoul to sit higher.

Those are the photos of my new module - beamshots later tonight when it gets dark :naughty:

EDIT: It is dark here in central Texas :rock:
Beamshots: Canon Rebel XT on tripod, Canon 24-105F4 "L" on 24mm (wide), F5.6 aperture.

Outdoors against a fence with my driveway to show spill (3 second exposure):
The Seoul Turbo LED Module:
IMG_8955.JPG

The 5W Turbo LED Module:
IMG_8956.JPG

The Cree XR-E Turbo LED Module:
IMG_8957.JPG

Note how the Seoul and the 5W are very similar in overall output, even while the Seoul gives a more focused beam. As before the Cree XR-E is all about spill, and very little in the center.

Then against a fence across the street to show throw (3 second exposure):
IMG_8962.JPG

The 5W Turbo LED Module:
IMG_8961.JPG

IMG_8960.JPG

The Cree gets killed here - very little throw. The Seoul simply kicks but here with its more focused beam :D

Then indoors (2 second exposure):
IMG_8963.JPG

The 5W Turbo LED Module:
IMG_8965.JPG

IMG_8964.JPG

Note again that the Seoul and the 5W are very similar in total output, and that once again the Cree is all about sidebeam :(

Overall: This is a fantastic module and a superb bang for the buck. The Seoul brings 5W-type of performance, to a 3W package, and with better throw :naughty:

EDIT: 1/27/07: Added these outdoor beamshots. Canon Rebel XT, 24-105F4 "L" on wide(24). F5.6 @ 4 seconds. About 100 feet to the corner of the fence. I have a normal size soccer ball there for reference.

The McG45 with a 5W "W" bin at 1Amp using the 45mm McGizmo reflector:
IMG_8975.JPG

The 5W Turbo LED Module:
IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_8977.JPG

The MN20, showing why incandescents have such awesome color rendition outdoors (sorry for the tripod not pointing in the same direction as in prior shots):
IMG_8982.JPG

Will

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing: Seoul P4 U bin Turbo LED Module

Great job Will...

Great photos too...

TB

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice Will, looking forward to seeing your beamshots.

Also would you mind sharing the dimensional difference between the Seoul and a Lux for proper focus? 0.030" higher for the Seoul in the same reflector seems to be the consensus, is that true for your TM as well?

nightrider

Enlightened

Yes. Good job!
Standing by for further results/comparisons/beamshots!

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: Introducing: Seoul P4 U bin Turbo LED Module - updated with beamshots !!!

First post updated with beamshots :rock:

LED Zeppelin said:
Also would you mind sharing the dimensional difference between the Seoul and a Lux for proper focus? 0.030" higher for the Seoul in the same reflector seems to be the consensus, is that true for your TM as well?
I am still fine-tuning the final distance - I am playing with 3 very thin shims to get the best overall focus. So far I can say that 0.030" was not enough for this KT4 reflector, but then I am comparing to the specific 5W module shown in the photos above. Since I can't claim that the 5W is focused perfectly, it is not a great reference point or a very well "known" quantity. Once I am done, I will have the exact height for the Seoul, which is the end goal so that I can make more ;)

Will

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I had an Arcmania TH tower, can I just replace the LED?

wquiles

Flashaholic

DaFABRICATA said:
If I had an Arcmania TH tower, can I just replace the LED?
Based on what I have learned so far, most likely the LED would sit too low and would not focus properly. If you raised the LED "about" 0.030", it "should" focus properly, but I don't have an Arcmania TH tower to test/verify this.

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
flex76italy said:
Hey Will :goodjob: as always.....when you start the production? :whistle:

:takeit:
I am finishing come custom work for another CPF member, and as soon as I am done I will be building 2-3 for sale ;)

Will

*Retired*
It is too bad the KT4 reflector is really too shallow to direct much of the light out of the XR-E, looks like the Seoul P4 is a better choice for this reflector when one desires throw.

However, I see in the wall shot, the 25% less power XR-E has a lot more flood brightness, and it takes a tremendous amount of power to make the flood area look brighter.

I noticed your XR-E setup is running at 750mA instead of 1A like the rest.

Did you happen to take a shot of the XR-E based one of your grass yard?

In your MN20 shot, the sky is a different hue, was the white balance not locked or something?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some very nice workmanship there. With the output of the Seoul being so high, I bet you can dial down the bias and get some insane runtime in an M6 body and still get great output. :thumbsup:

wquiles

Flashaholic
NewBie said:
It is too bad the KT4 reflector is really too shallow to direct much of the light out of the XR-E, looks like the Seoul P4 is a better choice for this reflector when one desires throw.

However, I see in the wall shot, the 25% less power XR-E has a lot more flood brightness, and it takes a tremendous amount of power to make the flood area look brighter.

I noticed your XR-E setup is running at 750mA instead of 1A like the rest.

Did you happen to take a shot of the XR-E based one of your grass yard?

In your MN20 shot, the sky is a different hue, was the white balance not locked or something?
Yes, for this reflector, the Seoul does provide a more efficient setup for throw.

As you noted, and just because of the drivers that I had at hand (no conspiracy :naughty: ), the Cree was built with a 750mA and the Seoul with the 1000mA downboy. Even with less current, the Cree gives great flood/sidebeam, but after trying both, I rather have the Seoul beam :D

No, I didn't take an extra shot on the grass/fence with the Cree. Kind of disappointing throw so I excluded it from the last beamshots.

As to the white balance, yes, unfortunately yours trully still had that on automatic, so the exposure is a tad off as you can see. I gotta remember for next time :ohgeez:

nemul said:
wow downboy 7000!!!! lol j/k
Yes, you noticed as well. My guess is that Wayne at the Shoppe simply re-used the 700mA label and "converted" the label to 1000mA for the one he shipped me :laughing:

CM said:
That's some very nice workmanship there. With the output of the Seoul being so high, I bet you can dial down the bias and get some insane runtime in an M6 body and still get great output. :thumbsup:

Yes, at 750mA I bet it would still be very nice for throw and even longer runtimes. I picked 1000mA to test the "high-end" as to what could be expected. Then again, with the lottery going, the next Seoul LED could be brighter, or dimmer ;)

Will

flex76italy

Enlightened
wquiles said:
I am finishing come custom work for another CPF member, and as soon as I am done I will be building 2-3 for sale ;)

Will

Good, count me in for one from now! :goodjob:

*Retired*
Interesting.

If you ever do turn the Seoul back down by 25% to 750mA, it would be very interesting to see it up against the 750mA XR-E.

It is interesting that EngrPaul didn't see the Seoul P4 smoking the XR-E like that either (my experience also), but I do see a lot more energy going into flood, which has been my experience also. Do you have a picture of the KT4 reflector, as something looks a bit weird, besides the 25% less current in the XR-E:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1817540&postcount=9

It would be nice if you could remember to lock the white balance. Since it was unlocked, and the camera automatically makes everything look white, we can't really use this for guaging on color rendering against the MN20, and explains why the MN20 looked extra white.

I just saw your photo of the KT4 reflector and it is very shallow indeed. Looking at the fence photos especially, there is a huge amount of light lighting up the whole fence, where with the LuxV and Seoul P4, the fence is dark in comparision.

With such a shallow reflector, that explains worlds.

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always, great work Will! I love what the pic showing the MN20 beamshot points out. As you stated, incans really make a difference in color retention in the dark and that's one of the main reasons I will never get rid of my remaining incans.

mpc

Newly Enlightened
I am correct in saying that the Arctic Alumina Epoxy is necessary on the top of the tower in the case of the Seoul LED or is the tower isolated ?