The most efficient white 5mm LED?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now clearly there is a major trend in upgrading older "star" type LEDs to Cree or Seoul Semiconductor in order to get more brightness out of old flashlights. Right now though I'm interested in updating keychain lights, reading lights, and other devices that use 5mm LEDs to the most efficient discrete 5mm LEDs avaialable. It's usually difficult to judge this based on Candela ratings as many brands do not mention the beam angle. I'm sure some of the experts on here will know where to look.

txmatt

Enlightened
The newcomer a couple years ago was the Nichia CS that is in the newer Arc AAAp and Photon Freedom Max. That would be my guess.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I did a google search for the CS and clearly it does appear to be the most efficient one, as it's advertized in most of the higher end flashlights. The only problem is that I haven't been able to find a site that actually sells the LEDs themselves :ohgeez:

From Nichia's website I also read that they have a 150lm/W 5mm LED coming later on that will put out about 10 lumens at normal drive levels, that would be cool to throw into all my various keychain lights and so on :D

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
From Nichia's website I also read that they have a 150lm/W 5mm LED coming later on that will putsout about 10 lumens at normal drive levels, that would be cool to throw into all my various keychain lights and so on :D

That's good news. Hopefully they provide them with tapered optics. Most of the applications I want to put them in do not take the full width style. I've purchased BestHK and JELED, they are both full width.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reference. I just ordered 50 of the Jeled 50,000 mcd LEDs. This should be a big improvement for a lot of my small LED flashlights that have nice cased and lenses etc. but use older much more inefficient 5mm LEDs.