Does anyone have SF 8AX Beamshots?

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I looking for a link for Surefire 8AX Beamshots. I have tried the "Search" over and over and keep getting an error message. I am currently wanting a light that has great throw and great spill for walking, camping etc. It also needs to be rechargeable. I have been considering the L7 but I need to see the beamshots or experiences from owners of the 8AX.

Thanks
Tim

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Hi. No beam shots here, sorry but being an outdoorsman myself I might be able to confuse you a little more here.:)

I like my 8AX due to a little less length and easier to turn on one handed due to the knurling on the head plus it does have a better throw but...

The L7 has a better beam quality, much longer play time, and better durability being not as fragile.

I really wish SF would have designed the head on the L7 like the 8AX. I have a very hard time trying to turn the head with 2 fingers. I sometimes have the dog leash in one hand and have to be able to spin the head on with the other and it seems difficult to do. I have been wanting to get an o-ring for the head of the L7 to try. Plus the length being a little longer on the L7 it don't fit as nice in the front pocket of my Carhart coat. If it weren't for these minor oddities I would absolutely go for the L7 just because of the beam color (I got a good one), durability, and better runtime.

So there, I just confused you even more didn't I?...Sorry...:)

Like the old saying goes...buy them both!

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
Hey RazorMaxx,

Thanks for the reply. I am actually starting to get a better idea about the lights. So when you say that the L7 has a better beam quality, do you mean more flood and a smoother beam? Which one has more throw or flood? Or does one have the best of both worlds?

Yeah...I wish I could buy both, but I just bought a SL Ultra Stinger so the wallet is getting a little thin. :)

Tim

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Tim,

The L7 has the better smoother beam that is more of a flood type but does still have some throw to it. My 8AX will reach a little farther though. If you already have the above mentioned then maybe the L7 would be better choice. Silverfox reports getting 2.5 hrs run time with his new batteries! Although these are nearly gone he may come up with something else one of these days. This to me will be excellent for camping, hiking, and such. I really like the light color of my L7 too.

Not to confuse you but I have a 9AN with a turbo head that I enjoy also. It has the low beam (although very ugly beam quality)for small chores w/o blinding you and it has a very nice white high beam with lots of throw. Nice but a little pricey.

I don't want to make your mind up for you but given the above choices and the fact you already have one with good throw "I" would probably opt for the L7...but that's just me.

Good Luck,

Dave

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Dave,

You have helped a lot! I contacted my dealer regarding the L7. It is on order and when it comes in, that will be the one! Thank you very much for your help! :)

Tim