LED Replacement vs Whole New LED Torch

sshark

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I wanted a new LED torch and thinking of Inova XO. At the same time, I own a 2AA mini Maglite and am think of replacing the original bulb with TerraLux TLE-5. The maglite casing is in good shape and I would like to use it. On the other hand, I not to sure about TLE-5 replacement LED. It is as good as Inova XO? Comparing specs, TLE-5 has higher lumens from XO and cheaper than buy a new torch altogether. Do you guys have any advise for me?

Btw, is the TerraLux TLE-5K2 suitable for my 2AA Maglite and is it much brighter than the TLE-5?

Thanks

/lim/

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF,

I have both the TLE-5 and the TLE-5K2, the TLE-5K2 is the brighter of the two and will fit the standard 2AA Mini Maglite, another option would be to buy the complete MinimagLed 2AA, it is about the same price as the TLE Led replacement bulbs and is almost just as bright.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TLE-5 works GREAT in either the M@g 2AA or 2AAA. It is a vast improvement to the stock bulb, especially in the 2AAA since that light had such poor runtime. I don't have an X0 to compare it to.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've added an opalec LED module into a MagLite 2xAA, and it has some good points: good regulation, plenty of hours, and a fancy little red LED light comes on to tell you when the battery charge falls below a decent threshold and current regulation stops.

on the minus side, you don't get an awful lot of lumens (about the same you had with the incan bulb) and these modules cost me what a decent new LED light would.

so it really depends on your needs - personally I like having around a few "old-style" but modded MagLite's so that they retain some usefulness, but also that they can make useful gifts in a pinch - so in a sense it's a plus that these modded lights are not so great that I would never consider parting with them!

a final advantage - for flashlights that you share with others, it is useful to have an indicator of when the batteries have been used a lot, since you lose track of how many hours of use a given flashlight has had.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It starts with putting in a replacement for your Minimag. Then you are impressed with the difference in light and you will start to investigate other 1 or 2 AA lights such as Fenix. After getting such a light you will be so impressed and happy you may start looking at "high end" lights such as Surefire or HDS/Novatac. You may even consider a semi-custom light such as McGizmo. Before you know it you have way more lights than you need or can possibly use but you will still come here and keep looking out for something new. It all started with a SMJLED replacement for my Minimag. This progression happened to me and many others here so just be careful...it can happen to you.:grin2:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddjob said:
It starts with putting in a replacement for your Minimag. Then you are impressed with the difference in light and you will start to investigate other 1 or 2 AA lights such as Fenix. After getting such a light you will be so impressed and happy you may start looking at "high end" lights such as Surefire or HDS/Novatac. You may even consider a semi-custom light such as McGizmo. Before you know it you have way more lights than you need or can possibly use but you will still come here and keep looking out for something new. It all started with a SMJLED replacement for my Minimag. This progression happened to me and many others here so just be careful...it can happen to you.:grin2:

That is exactly how I got started, word for word! :laughing: (I still have my TLE-5 MiniMag with clickie.)

However, I don't have the $$ to drop on high end lights, so I am upgrading all of my current lights to the SSC P4 U bin emitters to satisfy my brightness craving for a while.

This summer is going to be interesting and expensive. Especially if someone comes out with an AAA SSC P4 light, I'll be all over it. One for me, one for my wife..... Or, I'll buy two used Fenix LOP SE's and do the emitter swap myself.

spanish

Newly Enlightened
TLE-5 is the best to improve and update your "old" 2AA minimaglite. Great light and reasonable cost. Absolutabily recomended if you have a krypton minimagilite.

TLE-5K2 is too expensive and will be better buy a new 2AA 3W mimimaglite and I supose there are not a big diference between 5 and 5k2.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi sshark and welcome to CPF.

Both the TLE-5 and TLE-5K2 are made specifically for the AA MiniMag.

There is a significant difference between a TLE-5 and a TLE-5K - the K2 is outputting 50% more lumens.

A TLE-5K2 is brither than an XO, a TLE-5 has the same LED as an XO and is putting out about the same amount of light.

spanish - a AA MiniMag '3W' is a 3W LED being run at 1.5W it is not a 3W light. The TLE-5K2 is brighter than a AA MiniMag LED and the MiniMag LED has issues with low battery flickering which are widely described on this forum.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Hmmm... I recently discovered I had two 2AA MiniMags. Perhaps I'll give the TLE-5K2 a try. How's that TerraLUX tailcap switch?

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I have the MiniMag TLE-5K2, which is a big improvement, and the X0 (original lens version). The X0 has much better throw but the MiniMag has good spill and is tint free. I would say that the TLE-5K2 is too expensive but someone who wants the brightest LED MiniMag is going to want this regardless. I also have the 3AA MiniMag LED which has very good throw, but I prefer the TLE-5K2 output for anything closer than 50 feet.

sshark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for your welcome greetings and rapid responses :)

I suppose either way I won't "regret". I might ended up like Oddjob, getting 1 torch after another :)

Now, I get myself interested in the Fenix L2P after know more about this torch from digging into the forum. :)

tty5150

Newly Enlightened
After reading CPF it seems that good (IMHO) combo for 2AA MiniM@g is TLE-5 + NiteIze IQ cup. According to MattK there is no (or very small) light drop with this IQ switch.

That will be my next gift for myself :) And one more small step on flashaholic slide.... (after TLK-20 and Jet C-LE in progress...)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
No - not my words tty5150, to my eyes the even the new IQ has a discernable drop in output - but it still is a good option if you want the flexibility the IQ allows in output levels. I wish they could figure out how to make the IQ not drop lumens because it really would be the killer item we all waited SO long for.

Personally I like the TLE-5K2 with the TerraLUX tailcap switch but the TLE-5K2 is my baby. I invented it (well except for the whole bit about ya know engineering it and stuff actually related to inventing it). Okay, so my involvement was going 'hey - I have a great idea and I'm willing to buy a b*ttload if you'll make it.' :)

sshark

Newly Enlightened
I came across a TLE-5 replacement (with PR adapter) for the 3D Maglite. Do I get better "output" if I replace the original bulb in 3D Cell Maglite with TLE-5K2 (using a PR adapter and I presume K2 is a direct replacement for TLE-5) compared to 2AA Maglite using the same K2 bulb? Is the K2 suitable for the 3D Maglite?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't recommend the TLE-5K2 with the PR adapters as the adapters are essentially current limiting devices.

For a 3D mag the TLE-6K2 is you best choice.

sshark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. I still torn between getting a new torch and using the old Maglites i.e 2AA and 3C. I really hate to see my Maglite going to "waste" since TerraLux provides such good LED replacements but ont the other hand I wanna try out the new torches :) Decision, decision....

Last edited:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously, you need a nice little bright light with a state-of-the-art LED in it.
You also need a nice big Maglite in case you need to :twak:
and since it will look so pathetic and dim if you actually turn it on, :candle:
you need to upgrade it too.