Painting an old Surefire? Truck bed liner?

fishx65

Enlightened
I did it right but it chipped anyway. Sanded with 400 grit, cleaned with wax and grease remover, primed, painted and clear coated. I used Krylon products. Anyone ever had any luck with this? I now have it stripped back down to the original coating. I'm thinking about trying some of the Duplicolor Truck bed liner that I have used for many projects in the past. The light is an old 6R/6P. Any better ideas?

One more ?. This light has the old plastic lens. Were can I get a glass one?

Thanks, FishX

LEDoutlet

Newly Enlightened
For your truck bed liner, the only type of coating that will really stand up to any type of abuse is a polyurea coating such as line-x etc.

fishx65

Enlightened
I know Line-X makes one of the best spray in truck bed liners but I was thinking in terms of the do-it-yourself stuff. It would be kinda cool to take it up to a Line-X dealer and have it sprayed. With my luck, it would end up the size of a D mag light!!!!! I've used that Duplicolor spray in liner on my ATV racks with good results so it might work pretty good on the old Surefire.

Hooligan

Newly Enlightened
I would try some sort of spray-on, bake-on gun coating. I used Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II on some items and it's held up great. It will be much thinner than truck bed liner, and with a matte/satin finish. Whatever surface you have before spraying it on will more or less be preserved, including knurling.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used spray-on epoxy appliance paint on some beat up Mags and so far it seems fairly durable. But I haven't really put them through anything bad enough that I can say for sure if it'll chip or not.

LEDoutlet

Newly Enlightened
Oh sorry, i was confused! i thought that you meant you did all of that to your truck bed liner. For your surefire either what Hooligan mentioned or possibly some home powder coating setup, though that is just paint.

fishx65

Enlightened
O.K., Not gonna try the truck bed stuff. This Surefire looks like crap so I gotta do something. I might check into powder coating it. Any other ideas??

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened
I'd also recommend at least looking at the DuraCoat. No personal experience here, but this stuff gives an incredible finish on gun parts...look up duracoat on any gun forum and there are sure to be some pictures.

Eric

LV426

Enlightened
Gun-Kote works excellent for this task (at least on sandblasted aluminium)!
My next project is an orange M3T...