Cant decide wich surefire to buy...HELP!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Hello all you SureFire lovers!

I have decided to join you! Have read alot of good stuff about SureFire, and wanted to try one out and see what all the fuss is about! :D

I have looked at the L2, like that one because of its two output modes, and that its a led light.

Would be thankful for feedback on this light! Does it have a good throw?
Have read some rewiews about it, but does anyone here have some oppinions about it worth knowing before I spend my sweet sweet money on it :)??

Thanks!

RCatR

Enlightened
I own an E2D(Incan) which with a rechargeable kit(Fivemega makes identical ones) makes a very nice light. It has decent throw and full spectrum output, with around 45 minutes runtime per charge.

No matter what surefire you get, you will be impressed by the workmanship

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
A g2 would be a good place to start.

You should also check out the models upgraded since shot show.

cslinger

Enlightened
The L2 is ALL about flood. It is NOT a thrower. It does however put out an HUGE amount of light on high. Lights a room up almost like turning on a flourescent over head light.

The light itself is rather long and to me kind of unweildy due to its sort of odd long size.

If I were buying my first Surefire I personally would get an A2 with white LEDs Best of both worlds IMHO.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
hmm...I think I´m going for a LED light, and not a incandescent light.

I dont really like when the light is focused to much, It´s more useful with one that lights up a wider area but not to wide. Its a though first chioce... Like the U2, but dont really see the use of six diffrent stages?

cslinger

Enlightened
Well if you prefer a bit of flood then the L2 is probably perfect for you. Low is plenty bright for 95% of any uses you might have and high is pretty breathtaking actually.

Chris

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
Four posters and nobody has suggested ONE OF EACH.
You call yourselves flashaholics.:shakehead

DK

Last edited:

Cypher

Enlightened
I'll throw the new L1 out since you liked the two levels of the L2. 10 lumens on low and 65 on high if I remember correctly.

Depending on the new optics it still may be a thrower and not much flood. Just a thought.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using SF lights for 13+ years and have owned and used most every
model they have made. They make incredibly well built tools, all of which have
a purpose.

Based on your criteria, I'd also suggest the L2. It's my absolute favorite LED
SF makes. Low setting is great for most everything, and the wall of bright
white light on high is super.

On paper the length may seem long, but in actual use it keeps the light more
secure, deeper in the pocket, and is more comfortable to hold and use.

My "around the house" L2 sports an F04, while my EDC L2 is perfect the way
God made it.

Hope this was helpful.

Happy Torching!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Thanks alot everyone! I really appreciate it!

The first of a new brand is always hard to choose, I´m sure that when I finally buy on I will buy more of them! And the second third...will be easier to choose... :)

The reason I like L2 is that it has 100 Lumen on High and 15 on low, I Want as much light possible on high and around 10-15 on low for most use. I also think the light may be a bit long but not a problem.

Anyone know if SF is releases any new models like the L2?

Thanks again!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'M DK said:
Four posters and nobody has suggested ONE OF EACH.
You call yourselves flashaholics.:shakehead
I'm sorry, but that's not helping FlashSpyJ decide which light is most useful for him.

FlashSpyJ, what will you use this light for? You've mentioned LED, throw, and 2 stages. Does size and battery size matter to you? Metal vs polymer? Option to use rechargeables? Runtime?

I'm leaning towards the new Cree-based L1, but I'm more interested in hearing more about what your needs are (although it sounds like you're leaning towards the L2 already).

luigi

Enlightened
The L2 is in my humble opinion a low level light with the boost option, meaning you will frequently use it in low mode with the high mode available if you need to illuminate a very large place. It doesn't throw very far.

The A2 combining Incandescent and LED has a better throw and the LEDs are great as a task light and for navigation.

Finally you may also consider an L4 (also flood) with a two stage tailcap (search here or ask Wayne at the Sandwich shoppe) the L4 has the advantage of being an E-series compatible light so you will be able to play legos and use your L4 body and head in different combinations. The L2 is only compatible with itself.

My 2 cents
Luigi

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashSpyJ -

The L2, L4 and L5 suggested here all fail the throw AND dual modes test. Only the U2 will give you everything you seem to be looking for - yes, it has 6 modes not 2 but it's got throw, is a Surefire and is LED with 2+ modes.

Just a thought but if you want a high-end light that throws and has multiple output modes have you considered the LEDLogic Striker VG? It's got stepless dimming (many levels of output), tremendous throw (hightest rated LIII on FLR), strobing mode and is built like a tank. It also costs less than half of what a U2 costs.

carrot

Flashaholic
Personally, I would recommend you consider the Surefire A2 despite the fact that it is not LED. Two levels of light, pretty good throw for its size, and a floody low beam. It's also shorter than the L2. I have the L2 but I prefer the A2...

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
You might want to wait for the new surefires to come out. Im keeping my eye on the new L1. Its 2 stages, 10 lumens on low and 65 lumens on high.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Im going to put my vote in for the L1.(older version) THrows quite aways on hi and low is perfect for up close tasks. The reason i recommend the older version and not the newer one is that to me it seems the new low is too bright. The low on the older version of the L1 will run for 90 hours i believe at one lumen. Perfect for indoors or tents but also works well when your eyes have adjusted to the dark. I would also recommend getting the F04 beam filter. Gives a nice wall of light but if needed simply pop off to spot things. Well thats my two cents.