Dell ditching floppy drives!

star882

Enlightened
http://www.pimprig.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3689
For nearly 16 years, one piece of personal computer technology has remained the same: the floppy disk drive.
While microprocessor speeds and computer memory have improved by leaps and bounds, the lowly floppy disk, with its measly 1.44-megabyte capacity, hasn't changed. Over the years, other technologies have been touted as floppy drive replacements, namely zip drives and recordable compact discs. But they couldn't slay the floppy disk drive, which is still standard on most desktop PCs.

The floppy drive may have finally met its match in small, high-capacity portable storage devices called USB flash memory drives. They pack 16 MB or more of storage into a thumb-sized device that many companies sell as a key chain accessory.

Dell Computer Corp. (NasdaqNM:DELL - News) says the time is right to stop including floppy disk drives as standard hardware on its consumer desktop computers. Later this quarter, Dell will no longer include floppy disk drives in its Dimension desktops unless specially ordered. "We would like to see customers migrate away from floppies as quickly as possible, because there are better alternative technologies out there," said Mark Vena, director of product marketing for Dell's Dimension desktop PCs.

Dell will work to educate consumers that USB drives are a better way to take their data on the go. They're simple to use and provide for more secure data storage than floppies.

But USB drives aren't cheap like floppy drives. A low-end 16 MB USB drive costs about $20.

Getting people to part with floppy drives will take some work, Vena admits. "Customers still have an emotional tie to floppies," he said. "But it's an antique technology. At some point, you've got to draw the line. You wouldn't think of using a processor from 15 years ago."
Dell has found that nine out of 10 customers still want a floppy drive. Yet few say they use it, Vena says.

Cheap But Limited

The floppy drive perseveres because it's ubiquitous and cheap. The drives cost the manufacturer $10 or less, and disks are often given away. But they can store only small files like word processing documents and spreadsheets. They're useless for most PowerPoint presentations, digital photos, video and music.

Rewritable CDs hold more data, usually 650 MB, but they're not easy to carry around. And the discs can be scratched or broken. Some companies make credit card-sized CD-RWs, which make the media easier to carry. CD-RW discs typically cost $1 to $2 each.

But USB flash memory drives have more momentum than CD-RWs. Analysts say the flash devices have a cool factor that's driving demand.

They work by plugging into the thin USB slots common on modern PCs. The computer recognizes them as just another drive where files can be stored. USB memory drives are durable and don't need a separate power source.

Drawbacks include their higher cost and that they typically don't work on computers with operating systems older than Windows 98.

Dozens of vendors displayed USB memory drives at January's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Most models looked like pens, with plastic caps covering USB plugs. Some firms showed how USB memory drives are used in digital cameras and music players.

Analysts say it's only a matter of time before USB memory drives replace floppy disks as the portable storage media of choice.

Last year, makers sold 2.3 million USB flash memory drives, ringing up $104 million in sales. In 2006, sales could reach 46.3 million units, worth $3.8 billion, says market tracker Semico Research Corp. And those figures are conservative, says Jim Handy, a Semico analyst.

"USB drives are a phenomenon," Handy said. "People are in love with them. They've caught on in a big way in the Far East and are migrating out here to the U.S."

People only need to see a USB memory drive in action to get hooked, says Wolfgang Schlichting, an analyst with market researcher International Data Corp.

Crowded Market

With more than 100 companies making USB memory drives, the market is due for a shakeout, Handy says. Many of these companies, however, are simply putting their name on a product made by someone else.

Among the top makers of USB flash memory drives are Lexar Media Inc., M-Systems Inc. and SanDisk Corp. Even Iomega Corp., the maker of the Zip drive, is selling a rebranded USB flash memory device. Dell started selling its own branded product in November.

Retail prices for USB memory drives aren't likely to fall much as production rises. That's because lower capacity flash memory chips are constantly made obsolete by more capable chips. Already 8 MB USB memory drives already have been replaced on the market by 16 MB drives. USB drives are available with up to 1 gigabyte of storage.

PC makers are considering bundling low-end USB memory drives with machines that don't have floppy disk drives.

Computer makers already have eliminated floppy drives from most notebook computers. But users got a smaller, lighter product in return. That's not a big issue with desktops.

Apple Computer Inc. stopped including floppy disk drives in its Macintosh computers starting with the iMac in August 1998.

Dell plans to stagger its introduction of floppy-less desktop PCs, Vena says. Dell's build-to-order business model gives it an advantage over other PC companies, which have to ship preconfigured machines to stores.

Dell will work to educate its customers about USB drives and CD recorders for storing data, Vena says.

Hewlett-Packard Co., the world's No. 1 PC seller in 2002, has no plans to stop linking floppy drives with its PCs, says Bruce Greenwood, product marketing manager for HP's desktop PCs in North America.

"We have been looking at this for years and have always come up on the side of keeping the floppy in," Greenwood said. "There is a potential for some experimentation to happen. It's something we are continuing to consider."

HP is concerned that taking away the floppy drive could dissatisfy customers. "I'd hate to lose a sale based on that," he said.

The floppy disk drive isn't the only technology outliving its usefulness on modern-day PCs. The same argument can be made about parallel ports and serial ports. USB has overtaken them as a means of plugging in printers and other peripherals.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
icon14.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think it's a bad idea. flops may not be used often, but they are great for transfering small amounts of data to and from your friends computer, and storing files off your hard drive. they're cheap too, there is no reason not to offer them...

also, just because someone gets a new comp doesn't mean they are going to throw out their old one...

floppies are very convient, and i will not purchase a computer without one until they become as obsolete as the 5.25.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I like the USB key idea, in fact I have/had one. Hope the computer comes with a way to dock the USB drive, so that it stays stuck to the case and doesn't stick out unless you need to pull it out, onboard storage for the offboard storage I mean. Why? Well...I've misplaced my USB drive, that's why
tongue.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
noone uses 5.25 anymore, plenty of people use 3.5, which makes them not obsolete.

while usb is certainly a good idea, and sure, why not make it standard? i see no reason to take away a cheap component that can still see some use.

if dells poll says 90% still wanted a floppy drive, then why in hell get rid of it?!? that makes absolutely no sense.

Darell

Flashaholic
I had my latest machine for over a year before I wanted to stick a floppy in it. Couldn't even find the drive for a bit. Hidden behind a door. I'm in the camp that says we really don't need them anymore. Or more accurately - *I* don't need them anymore. None of the software I've puchased recently comes on floppies, my laptop already doesn't even have a drive (well, it has the bay that you can use for DVD drive OR floppy. And since floppy-based movies are pretty rare these days, the DVD drive stays in there
wink.gif
).
For me personally, there is just no use for floppies anymore. I get CDR's for free, and have hundreds of them. I use them even if I'm just tranferring a couple of MB. Why not?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
They're still convenient for my family. My teenage sons do their homework downstairs on "their" system (no printer hooked up on "theirs") and then bring it upstairs to print out. Or sometimes they are both on both systems, due to homework load, and there's no need to "timeshare" when we have two systems...I've got two printers hooked up to the "main system" (laser & color jet)...I know I should network them, but the technology keeps changing. I don't know whether to go wireless, AC line...I won't run cat 5 now, that should have been done when we built the house 6 years ago. My fault!

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:
*I* don't need them anymore.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A standard floppy drive costs about $6. I still find them useful for repairing systems when Windows won't boot (but NTFS makes this harder).

A USB floppy probably won't work in a repair environment (DOS).

I don't mind the floppy drive becoming an option and moved into a 5 1/4" device bay.

It will be a long time before Dell gets rid of the floppy drive in the corporate desktops (OptiPlex). They announced the death of the parallel port a couple of years ago and the customers told them to forget it (whoever made that call at Dell overlooked that you can't do parallel port ECP via a USB adapter).

Saaby

Flashaholic
Sigman-
We had somone come run Cat5 in our house. Paid about $500 but the electrician did a bunch of other stuff too. Didn't seem too hard and I bet if you invested in a wire puller (Maybe $50) you could do it yourself. Honestly, wired isn't going away any time soon and it's cheap and mostly headache-free to implement.

If wireless just go with 802.11b--it's tons better than nothing at all and in fact in a few days my Laptop will be connected wireless only 95% of the time (I got a wireless router for a song and a dance awhile back and the wired LAN card in my laptop is shorting out so I saw an oppertunity and took it).

New 802.11 stuff is coming out (802.11g) so 802.11b hardware prices should drop and I don't expect 802.11b to go away any time soon.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
if dells poll says 90% still wanted a floppy drive, then why in hell get rid of it?!? that makes absolutely no sense.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They didn't get the second half of the story here.
They also asked "When was the last time you used your floppy?". If I rember right, the mean time was 6 months.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Keep forgetting to add--

We use Sony Maciva's at school--the floppy disk kind. They're great for school use becuase the tech teacher just buys like 500 floppies every year instead of having to replace a USB transfer cable twice (or more) a year--and then when they run out of floppes you can just bring your own from home
tongue.gif

(He claims they've been through like 500 floppies this year, you know sticky fingers (I admit to having accidently stolen one I might add) but I'm a bit skeptical about the 500 part...)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, but if a customer wants a product, then it would be a good idea to include it. i guess i may be in the minority here, but i still think it is ridiculous at this point.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sigman:
I know I should network them, but the technology keeps changing. I don't know whether to go wireless, AC line...I won't run cat 5 now, that should have been done when we built the house 6 years ago. My fault!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sigman, it's really easy to run the CAT5 wires and network your house yourself. I recently did mine. For the two rooms that couldn't be reached easily due to the second story flooring situation, I just used phoneline networking. I've had no problems with it at all. The broadband cable is just as fast over the phone lines as it is over the CAT5 99% of the time. Once you network the house, you won't see how you got along without it. Plus, everyone can be on broadband simultaneously with no extra fees.

zackhugh

Enlightened
I still use the floppies at home and at work as they work well to save and transfer small files (e.g., single Excel workbook). CDRW and the USB mini-drives do not compare for price and convenience. In addition, for my older computers without a burner it's a necessity. Until such point where I have a USB port on the front of all my computers and these mini-drives cost a little less, I will continue to use my floppy in certain instances. FWIW, I use a floppy about every couple of weeks or so.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Empath - Unfortunately, the Imation LS120 has been discontinued

LS240 drives available now, which can put in excess of 20MB data on a "1.44 HD diskette", using proprietary software. Then there are the 2x double speed USB drives from Y-E data (what a treat!) The floppy drive is alive and well, for those who have need for them. I do.

Steve Jobs killed floppy drives on Macs years ago, and Apples market share has gone down hill ever since (anyone care to prove that's not why?). If that's what Dell wants, that's fine by me.

Even if you don't use a floppy drive every day, it's a lot like a lifeboat, nice to have when you or the technician who's trying to work on your machine needs it.

I probably fix an average of one computer a week for someone I work with, for free. When people start bringing me computers without floppy drives to fix, I'm either going to to tell them I'm not smart enough to fix computers without floppy drives, or that I'll have to charge them $100 just to hook a floppy drive up to it to be able to run diagnostics. If they give me the old "bootable CD" crap, I'll probably suggest that they just fix it themselves (how come it is that people with dead PC always have all the answers, but still have dead PCs?).

John

papasan

Enlightened
personally i can't remember the last time i used a floppy, and i'm generally the guy the friends and family call to fix their machines. been 2 years at least. most motherboards made in the last couple years can boot to CD or DVD ROM drive, so i carry my windows and utilities on a bootable CD.

even back when i did use floppies i hated them, seemed like every other one would get errors on the disc after not too long, either that or the drives were all gunked up from non-use.

sure, they still have their place. hell, some government agencies still program in cobal and use 5 1/4 drives.

even DVD writers have come down to $200-250 and the media is less than a two dollars a piece, CD writers are less than $100. it's actually cheaper to make a CD than to make a floppy disc, especially with info pressed/recorded onto it.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it's just me. I still have about 1500 brand new virgin 1.44 MB floppys, and since I only use a few a week now, it's almost like they're "free". I usually have to buy CDs every other week. I've noted that people seem to "steal" my CDs in bulk (projects?), but only "borrow" floppys one at a time (emergencies?).

Statistically, I run into more non-functional CD drives on the 3000+ PCs I directly support and those I casually work on, than bad floppy drives.

Some of my diagnostic and utility programs have the ability to write log and data files for offline analysis or record keeping, and floppys make that easier to deal with than the tools I have that will write to FAT*, NTFS, HFS*, *nix and yadda... volumes.

I use bootable CDs and "netcasting" for a lot of things, I just like to have choices, and if they're already built-in, so much the better.

John

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by jmm:
Empath - Unfortunately, the Imation LS120 has been discontinued
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've got a QPS 240 USB Superdisk Drive. It uses 240mb, 120mb and puts 32mb on a regular floppy.
I did notice the Imation is still available elsewhere, but not in the U.S. I'd suspect Iomega problems. Iomega is a lot lite Maglite as far as litigation goes.

I've got three of the USB pen drive type things, and a card reader that will read and write just about any type of media card. But, the price of any of them forbids the permanent storage of anything. Let them get cheap enough in price to compare to a CDR, and then I'll envision them replacing the floppy. Until then, they're only temporary storage.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I ditched my floppy drive 2 computer generations ago. The P3 I built didn't have it, and my current system doesn't either. When CDR's are so cheap and cross compatible, why bother with floppies?