TerraLUX DB-3W

Braka

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of getting this LED upgrade for an otherwise unused 3d Mag, but one of the reviews on Amazon mentions heat issues, to the point of damaging the reflector (I do have a lot of spare reflectors but would rather not use them for that purpose.) Anyone have one, and had any problems of that sort?

Braka

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, and the longest I've run mine continuous is at least half an hour to an hour. However, it was at night up in the Sierras, so temperature was not really an issue.

It's a good little unit, and good throw due to the Mag reflector's size. However, I think the LuxV version (sold at batteryjunction and elsewhere) would be a better choice now, as it will give you more output?

Braka

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, but I have an Amazon gift voucher that I don't know what else to do with :) Thanks for the advice, though.

Braka

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run the Terralux LuxV module in my 3D M@G for three hours last night,
it ran quite cool no damage to the reflector. They start to run hotter with 4 or more Cells

tty5150

Newly Enlightened
Is TLE-6K2 much brighter than TLE-DB-3 in 3D M@G ? I heard that 6K2 on 3 cells works similar.

If output is similar then 6K2 is still better choice - can be transplanted into bigger M@G or used with some multi AA to D holders. Or maybe wait for some Cree drop-in?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a 3D mag it comes down to luxeon lottery but the K2 stays brighter because of regulation So, on for 1-2 mins you can't tell a major difference, after 10-15 mins huge difference and over the life of the batteries as well.

6K2 seems to work fine with a number of diff battery options so long as you keep it under 9V - I know at least one guy is using 3 x cr123a ina 2d body.

EngrPaul did a Cree mod on it and the beam quality was terrible. He pulled them off and tried P4's with much better results.