Thread: CNN: Shuttle faster than Millennium Falcon

Flashaholic

Default CNN: Shuttle faster than Millennium Falcon

check out the banner

Default Re: CNN: Shuttle faster than Millennium Falcon

wow! maybe they just went back in time?

ROFLMAO!!!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

*Flashaholic*

Comment gracefully, er, conspicuously retracted.

Typical cnn reporting! They hardly ever get it right.

You got that right Ron, CNN is about all I saw on TV at the First Hill Care Center, and I saw some pretty screwed up headlines. But this one takes the cake!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I think they meant "sound" instead of "light" but the engineer who puts those banners on the screen has been watching too much Star Trek DS-9, TNG, or Voyager. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

CNN is a liberal swillbag.

I no longer watch CNN (Communist News Network). Thank God I can get Fox News here.

Flashaholic*

Fox News

The epitome of Conservatism!

I don't get either one here - you need to have cable for both CNN and Fox News. Now whether that's good or bad remains to be seen. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Craig:

I don't think your missing much by not having either.

I really like an assortment of local and national news,so I tend to tune into the local channels for my news.

Good to see you back posting.

I'm not sure I'd call it the EPITOME of conservativism, although it is the best shot we have at a conservative national broadcaster. I'd say that Fox is 51% true conservative, 30% "middle of the road", and 19% liberal.... and the more conservative "talking heads" there ALWAYS invite liberal spokes-people to expound upon their views.

FOX just SEEMS totally conservative when compared to the 98.73% liberal to leftist views expressed on the other national broadcast media.

I don't even bother with TV news anymore. Why should I get spoon fed crap that I really don't care about and wastes my valuable time?! Internet news is where its at guys! Try WorldNetDaily and you guys might learn a thing or two...

LOL! Let´s be thankful the dummy didn`t write Warp-drive anywhere.

May God bless the crew of the Columbia, RIP

Yep, it appears they joined the crew of FarScape by opening up a worm hole at warp speed......

Flashaholic*

First I laughed, then I got very frightened by the thought that this headline made it past editors & people who should have some common sense. I'm left wondering how many news reporters are just that entirely ignorant. Wow. Thanks for the post!

Originally posted by binky:
    ......I'm left wondering how many news reporters are just that entirely ignorant......
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just about all of them.

About 15 years ago I worked with a CBS affiliate News department.

(I did a weekly 4-5 minute segment on the State business environment for them as a contract writer/producer and on-camera "talent" {not that I actually had a lot of talent in that respect} for a year).

The only person there that knew anything about the subject that he dealt with was the sports reporter.... and sports was the ONLY thing that he knew anything about.

All the rest were just "talking heads" that really understood nothing. The news anchor was the daughter of the station owner, and while a nice lady and a good "reader" she knew nothing about anything beyond clothes styles and selecting a fine wine.

None of the news writers there knew much beyond putting words together- they would just edit whatever came off the news wires or repeat whatever someone told them in "Newsspeak". They were all pretty talented at what they did, but you couldn't have an intellectual discussion with one of them.

Same thing with the field reporters- they were all chosen for looks and the ability to speak succinctly and ask questions, and were never expected to actually understand anything about which they were reporting.

They did do good work under pressure though- It took me just about a full day to get my 4-5 minutes together, even with the help of a camera-man and an experienced assistant producer. everyone else each had to put together 5 - 10 segments every day, and some of them had to be put together minutes before broadcast.

I didn't know the people that ran the Chiron very well(that is the thing that superimposed text and did and other video effects) but they only ever did whatever the script told them to, or the producer if it was breaking news without a script.

And I imagine things are generally worse now with most news organizations. It is all about style over substance.

maybe it's a sign o' the times..kids growing up today with miracles commonplace all around them, unprecedented advances in science and medicine and physics..maybe 18 times the speed of light sounds like a possibility to them..?

I saw that CNN show, flipping back and forth, on the Sci-fi channel, there was a show about a spaceship going over ("125%") the speed of light..can't remember the name of it now..

Enlightened

You can read this if you want serious, depressing news, but I prefer The Onion.

James

Originally posted by Silviron:
    I'm not sure I'd call it the EPITOME of conservativism, although it is the best shot we have at a conservative national broadcaster. I'd say that Fox is 51% true conservative, 30% "middle of the road", and 19% liberal.... and the more conservative "talking heads" there ALWAYS invite liberal spokes-people to expound upon their views.

FOX just SEEMS totally conservative when compared to the 98.73% liberal to leftist views expressed on the other national broadcast media.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This post is fairly close to dead on.

Try an experiment. Read up on something related to the news. This would be difficult to do with something like Iraq, but is easier with the shuttle or some other recent event.

then watch several news shows and hear how much mis-information or just plain wrong facts are relayed. Now imagine that the same amount of garbage is read with a straight face in every segment that they do.

Most of what we think we know is totally false. But don't feel bad, thats better than some countries in the world manage... Just remember that if something sounds fishy it probably is!

Doesn't that flamimg liberal leftist Ted Turner have something to do with CNN?

Flashaholic*

I read a newspaper story in the business section yesterday. The paper reported that

"60% of Japanese households had an income below the average".

I guess that Journalism majors don't take Statistics classes.---Marc

Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall be forged anew, THATS RIGHT IT'S RETROFIT TIME

MicroE-
    That is possible - the 40% could make a bunch of $$$.

Flashaholic*

MicroE

Completely possible. Consider the following data:

Average=262,500
    So, 75% of those numbers are below the average.

What that just means is that the wealth of Japan is not evenly distributed through the entire range - the top small percentage has the majority of the wealth.

Now, if they had said that 60% were below the median value, that would make no sense...But the case with average is very easily possible. Just as large percentages above average are also possible. It all depends on the distribution of data.

-Darin

Flashaholic*

Originally posted by James S:
    ...snip...then watch several news shows and hear how much mis-information or just plain wrong facts are relayed. ...snip...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't have to - I work for one of the "Big Three" supporting the news division - you should hear my department screaming every time they do a computer story. We tell them - you have a department full of experts down the hall - why not fact check with us. We get stares

Flashaholic*

Originally posted by MicroE:
    I read a newspaper story in the business section yesterday. The paper reported that

"60% of Japanese households had an income below the average".

I guess that Journalism majors don't take Statistics classes.---Marc
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep, the question is, are they talking about "Mean", or are they talking about "Median" - MOST stats are reported as "Median", and then this would be wrong

Banned

You'll have to recall that the talking heads are not the only idiots.

Consider just how dumb the average guy on the street is - then remember that by definition, half of them are even dumber ...

_ ^..^ _

Flashaholic*

One online newspaper recently reported that the entire Bethlehem Steel Corporation was up for sale at 1.5 MILLION dollars. The artwork in the corporate HQ would sell for more than that. The well published number is 1.5 BILLION dollars - yet it slipped past everyone in their group. And some people take news reports at face value. Very scary.