CNN: Shuttle faster than Millennium Falcon

notos&w

Enlightened
speedoflight.jpg

check out the banner

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You got that right Ron, CNN is about all I saw on TV at the First Hill Care Center, and I saw some pretty screwed up headlines. But this one takes the cake!!!
shocked.gif

I think they meant "sound" instead of "light" but the engineer who puts those banners on the screen has been watching too much Star Trek DS-9, TNG, or Voyager.
grin.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
Craig:

I don't think your missing much by not having either.

I really like an assortment of local and national news,so I tend to tune into the local channels for my news.

Good to see you back posting.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I'd call it the EPITOME of conservativism, although it is the best shot we have at a conservative national broadcaster. I'd say that Fox is 51% true conservative, 30% "middle of the road", and 19% liberal.... and the more conservative "talking heads" there ALWAYS invite liberal spokes-people to expound upon their views.

FOX just SEEMS totally conservative when compared to the 98.73% liberal to leftist views expressed on the other national broadcast media.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I don't even bother with TV news anymore. Why should I get spoon fed crap that I really don't care about and wastes my valuable time?! Internet news is where its at guys! Try WorldNetDaily and you guys might learn a thing or two...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Let´s be thankful the dummy didn`t write Warp-drive anywhere.

May God bless the crew of the Columbia, RIP

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, it appears they joined the crew of FarScape by opening up a worm hole at warp speed......

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I laughed, then I got very frightened by the thought that this headline made it past editors & people who should have some common sense. I'm left wondering how many news reporters are just that entirely ignorant. Wow. Thanks for the post!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by binky:
......I'm left wondering how many news reporters are just that entirely ignorant......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just about all of them.

About 15 years ago I worked with a CBS affiliate News department.

(I did a weekly 4-5 minute segment on the State business environment for them as a contract writer/producer and on-camera "talent" {not that I actually had a lot of talent in that respect} for a year).

The only person there that knew anything about the subject that he dealt with was the sports reporter.... and sports was the ONLY thing that he knew anything about.

All the rest were just "talking heads" that really understood nothing. The news anchor was the daughter of the station owner, and while a nice lady and a good "reader" she knew nothing about anything beyond clothes styles and selecting a fine wine.

None of the news writers there knew much beyond putting words together- they would just edit whatever came off the news wires or repeat whatever someone told them in "Newsspeak". They were all pretty talented at what they did, but you couldn't have an intellectual discussion with one of them.

Same thing with the field reporters- they were all chosen for looks and the ability to speak succinctly and ask questions, and were never expected to actually understand anything about which they were reporting.

They did do good work under pressure though- It took me just about a full day to get my 4-5 minutes together, even with the help of a camera-man and an experienced assistant producer. everyone else each had to put together 5 - 10 segments every day, and some of them had to be put together minutes before broadcast.

I didn't know the people that ran the Chiron very well(that is the thing that superimposed text and did and other video effects) but they only ever did whatever the script told them to, or the producer if it was breaking news without a script.

And I imagine things are generally worse now with most news organizations. It is all about style over substance.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

maybe it's a sign o' the times..kids growing up today with miracles commonplace all around them, unprecedented advances in science and medicine and physics..maybe 18 times the speed of light sounds like a possibility to them..?

I saw that CNN show, flipping back and forth, on the Sci-fi channel, there was a show about a spaceship going over ("125%") the speed of light..can't remember the name of it now..

WhiteAsSnow

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Silviron:
I'm not sure I'd call it the EPITOME of conservativism, although it is the best shot we have at a conservative national broadcaster. I'd say that Fox is 51% true conservative, 30% "middle of the road", and 19% liberal.... and the more conservative "talking heads" there ALWAYS invite liberal spokes-people to expound upon their views.

FOX just SEEMS totally conservative when compared to the 98.73% liberal to leftist views expressed on the other national broadcast media.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This post is fairly close to dead on.