Open letter to my local neighbours

Monsters_Inc

Banned
To Whom It May Concern:

There are all kinds of individuals go that make up our society. Individual differences are to be acknowledged and respected. Indeed, to selectively criticise the lifestyle/practises of a minority group would equate to narrow-mindedness prejudice.

People may differ by physical attributes, religious beliefs, spoken languages, cultural practises, and/or interests & hobbies. These differences do not amount to disparity. There should be no implication of one sub-group within the community being superior or inferior to another. One of the fundamental individual differences are our interests, and the hobbies that stem from our interests. Our interests are one of the most stable personality traits. That is, they are likely to remain unchanged throughout life. Eg. if you can't stand fishing now, it's unlikely 20 years from now you become an avid fisher. Indeed, the stability of this trait forms the basis of aptitude testing, the outcome of which can be a great help in finding the profession(s) for which we are likely to be suited.

This variety of people that make up the community, leads to individuals having all kinds of hobbies. But how 'strange' or 'bizarre' a person's hobby is, is highly subjective. Who are we to criticise another's hobby, when the ones we have are probably just as peculiar to others. Some hobbies can only be enjoyed at certain times or in certain places. Golf, for instance, most will agree it would be irresponsible to start practising in one's own backyard in close proximity to neighbouring houses.

One of my hobbies are flashlights/torches. I hope most people can grasp the limited enjoyment to be had if I were to engage in my hobby during daylight hours. Also, the majority of you should be familiar with the size of the typical urban backyard. You wouldn't wish to say, fly a model airplane from within your garden. While it is possible, it would be more enjoyable to go to a public park and share in the use of the wide-open space available. Likewise, my backyard is insufficient to fully appreciate the 'throw' of a projected light from the powerful handheld torches in my collection.

I am asking for a broadminded, non-judgemental attitude towards my chosen hobby. Not acceptance, or understanding. You may consider my hobby to be a joke, that's fine with me. However, I am as much a member of the community as you are. As such, I feel it is not unreasonable to share the use of public spaces in my local neighbourhood.

I am disappointed that we as a society distance ourselves from others today, to the point where we no longer take the time to get to know even our close neighbours. As a consequence, during the early hours of Friday, 7th of February, some residents of Kings Park had been so 'alarmed' as to necessitate calling the police when a fellow neighbour engages in his hobby making use the open space available at Faulkland Reserve.

While there, we were NOT engaging in any unlawful or anti-social activities. We had taken due care not to deliberately shine the lights at nearby homes, and did not create excessive noise or attract unwarranted attention to ourselves. We were not unduly disturbing the peace. We were not committing any crime, nor had any intention of committing any crime(s) against person(s) or their property. Our presence in the reserve was NOT unlawful.

Two squad cars and their accompanying officers were sent from Quakers Hill station to investigate the calls of these "concerned" residents. The officers, including Constable Hearps (the only officer's name I can now recall), were more understanding of our plight. They had acted within the bounds of their duty to the community, and I can appreciate the position they were in. They were friendly and courteous. We were dealt with justly and I would like to praise the officers for that. After the obligatory search found we were not in possession of illegal materials and were NOT engaged in any unlawful behaviour, we were left to continue our enjoyment of the park.

To my fellow neighbours, the residents of Kings Park:

Why can't YOU afford me the same freedom I offer you – the freedom to engage in whatever hobbies of your choosing in public or private grounds? If I choose to engage in a hobby that does not interfere with your life, your property or restrict your freedom, it should be my business and not become subject to police attention. My hobby does not interfere with any rights or privileges you enjoy, and does not inhibit your quality of life.

One day, perhaps during an extended blackout, you may be thankful my hobby has a practical use. If this ever occurs in the near future, I would be more than happy to lend you a light.

Regards,

Dr C. Beng T
Dr S. James A

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Thanks for letting me vent.
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Onyx:
To Whom It May Concern......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Onyx,

I appreciate your post, as any Flashaholic would. But I have another reaction: How nice to live in a place where it's safe to be in a park at night!

Brightnorm

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
man, that really sucks getting the cops called on you...

are you new to the neiborhood? a neighboor not realize it was you? have your neighbors always been bas%*#@$, is this something new?

sorry for the questions, i am just curious as to what reasons they would have for calling.

p.s. what lights were you testing?
smile.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Awww, I feel the warm and fuzzies. Thanks for the support guys.
smile.gif

Brightnorm you're right - and maybe I took THAT for granted. There were grafitti all over the picnic tables, and broken grass all over the ground, but no discarded needles (drug users) and you might bump into 1-2 odd person at that time of the night (1-2am).

I'm not new to the neighbourhood, and since I am one of very few yellow skinned people here I would have thought I'd stand out! I dunno about my neighbours though, it's not a classy area but when I collected for Red Cross around here I got alot of snubbs and the "we're better than you" attitudes.

Anyway, it was my Tigerlight's first time outdoors - compared to a Mag 2C/3x123, G2 and oh heck, check my sig...
wink.gif
Surprising amount of light the P60 gave at short to medium distances.

Edit: I was thinking of submitting it to my local suburban newspaper.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Damn man, that sucks big time.

So you were just walking around a dark area and lighting up your way with a torch and people called the cops on that!?

Good luck with it in the future.

Btw, how many lights did you guys have on you?
grin.gif

-YC

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that.
Onyx, way to go man..., I am with you. I also sad that a lot of people still cannot understand our hobby. Hopefully that will change soon.

kev1-1

Enlightened
Onyx...perhaps your neighbours need a hobby to, then they might have better things to do!

My mate was a postman for a few weeks, to raise money for a trip, and people would to complain that he cycled down their drive or looked scruffy...at 06:00!! Some people
icon13.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I can sorta understand investigating the situation. Lights shining around at 2AM. The good part is that when the cops determined the situation was one of innocence, they left you to your activities. But I really don't think you should be to hard on your neighbors for having something they didn't understand checked out. Now if they tried to keep you from enjoying your lights, that would be a different story. TX

Tomas

Banned
I understand your feelings that an injustice was done, Onyx, and applaud your open letter.

At the same time, in today's world, I understand anything "unusual" getting an exaggerated response from neighbors.

I've been in similar straights myself at night, since I commonly have very bright lights/flashing lights associated with my presence.
wink.gif

My response to the responding security and police folks was to actually thank them for accosting me on my own property (I would rather have them respond to something unusual rather than ignore it), and to strike up a relationship with them to prevent the same from happening in the future.

Your neighbors and your local police need to be educated as to your quite legitimate hobbies, but they should also be thanked for paying attention and responding when something unusal appeared.

Take care,
tomsig02.gif

_ ^..^ _

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by Tomas:
At the same time, in today's world, I understand anything "unusual" getting an exaggerated response from neighbors.
tomsig02.gif

_ ^..^ _
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">---------------------
I've got to agree with Tomas and yourself. While you were enjoying yourself safely and legally...I can see where you may perceive your neighbors attitudes/actions as "intrusive".

However, with the new "climate" created after 9/11, I think I'd be thankful to have those around me that "pay attention to details".

We can still retain our individual rights while being vigilant.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh.... Iowa.

As I sit here at about 10 degrees outside I think that yesterday I was complaining about the cold.

But...this post reminds me of why I love living in Iowa.

Safe parks with no graffiti or discarded needles mostly no broken glass and plenty of empty, open areas where a flashaholic can try out flashlights and not have people freak out. When you live in an area where the climate is less than ideal...you do get some bonus.
smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were me, I would have been arrested and charged with disturbing the peace and having stolen property (the lights). After all, I am on SSI and therefore expensive flashlight(s) in my possession must have been stolen. Besides, I look disreputable. Who's the Judge and/or Jury going believe: the Police, or a Nutcase??? Answer: the Police, of course.

Velcro

Enlightened
Hey, your neighbors didn't do anything wrong. I mean, who goes walking around in the dark to test out his flashlights? That's just silly...
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Velcro

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
When flashlights are outlawed, only outlaws will have flashlights. Were have I heard that before?

Apparently, some people are afraid of their shadow.

Aluminum Junkie