Minimag Clickie Tail Switch: Kroll Vs. Terralux TCS-1

jlomein

Enlightened
I have run several searches on the forum with many different key words, trying to find comparisons between these two clickie switches for Minimag flashlights. I have found some comments, but nothing really comparative.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion or recommendation on both tailcaps.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Jlomein

I own a terralux switch and I'm really satisfied. Reliable, waterproof, can do a tactical mode if you lightly press on it while on.

The good part from the kroll is that the rubber boot is texturized for a better grip. Some have even did a two-stages switch with it:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147629

Tip: Don't even try the IQ switch from Nite Ize, the idea is good (3 levels, red flashing led on cap to help locate the flashlight in thr dark) but it lowers the output significantely.

Hope this help...

Fred

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
In my experience, the kroll is flakey. The only good thing about a kroll is that it's serviceable. I really like the Terralux switch, plus it's readily available for $4 from Ledreplacement.com. And it comes with a nice lens.

jlomein

Enlightened
Thank you all for your input. It was really a toss up between the two in my head, so with three opinions, I am going for the Terralux switch.

Hopefully it will make it feel a little more like my preferred Fenix L1P/L2P (already have a TLE-5 in the minimag).

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

I did use a RAM Click On tailcap on my Mini Maglite but the resistent in the switch was so soft that it activated the light which was on my belt in an open holster with a flap, and when I needed the light it was dead
ooo.gif
I had to get new batteries and the switch has never been used since!!

At the moment I use the Kroll as it seems to have more resistant in the switch for accidentialy turn on. How is the TerraLux switch compared to this?

I have to admit that the Kroll looks little bit poor in material (plastic) so I've got spares
smile.gif

PA

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
dlrflyer said:
I really like the Terralux switch, plus it's readily available for $4 from Ledreplacement.com. And it comes with a nice lens.

I tried that site, but how do you find the terralux switch? I tried to find it surfing the site, and used the search function, but it only sends me off to other websites.

sflate

Enlightened
Terralux has much better reliability, lower resistance, and better (metal) threads than the Kroll or RAM. I have been carrying either a 2AA minimag (modded of course) or a 1AA Ledean cutdown, both with a terralux, in my front pocket for several years reliably. I have had it turn on in my pocket once or twice though.

If you search around there is a thread that shows the breakdown of the terralux and Kroll. (Maybe RAM too, I can't remember). I know I have it bookmarked on my other PC. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll try to dig it up.

Off topic, but I am thinking about making my terralux into a momentary switch to control the FluPIC (Normally closed) and use the minimag twisty function to turn it on and off. This way it won't ever turn on accidentally.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody had any experience or problems using the terralux clickie switch on an LED MiniMag in it's closed-end nylon holster? I was playing with the LED MM in it's holster before ordering a TCS-1, and it struck me that having a clickie on the end of a MM which is shoved into it's closed-end holster could present opportunity for the light to turn on accidentally.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have. I use it with the 2AA MiniMagLED. The concern that you have, isn't really an issue. First of all, the switch does not have momentary contact, it is strictly what folks here call a reverse clicky. So in order to accidentally turn it on, you would have to full engage the switch.

With the Kroll switches, you'll get some accidental flashes every so often as bumps will activate the momentary function.

The name of the site escapes me right now, but it was a web merchant in Colorado that had the Terralux switches for $3.95 with no added shipping charge. In ordering these small items, the shipping charges can often exceed the price if the item that you're buying.

Turbo DV8 said:
Has anybody had any experience or problems using the terralux clickie switch on an LED MiniMag in it's closed-end nylon holster? I was playing with the LED MM in it's holster before ordering a TCS-1, and it struck me that having a clickie on the end of a MM which is shoved into it's closed-end holster could present opportunity for the light to turn on accidentally.

gunga

Flashaholic
I think battery junction has the terralux switch for $3.95, but I didn't check on shipping. I just got a kroll from a friend recently, and it's pretty good (use the stock maglight spring for lower resistance) but would love to have the form factor and lanyard hole of the terralux.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunga said:
I think battery junction has the terralux switch for $3.95, but I didn't check on shipping.

Try $8+ for shipping a single TCS-1 from Battery Junction. NEXT! Anybody know the Colorado vendor with free shipping which Brighteyez mentions?

gunga

Flashaholic
Ouch! I'm in Canada and regularily get raped when it comes to shipping from the states. I got lights from Fenix Store before and the shipping is usually less than $2.

Just nuts how much people charge...

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi again,

I received some TerraLux TCS-1 tailcaps last weekend from www.Lighthound.com and I have put them on some of my Mini Maglite AA with TerraLux TLE-5 White and Red LED. So far it works OK. As mention by Torch Boy, the metal tailcap is of better quality than the plastic threads on the Kroll!

The push button on the Kroll though is harder to click on and click off...

When the light is clicked on with the TCS-1 and the switch is touched sooftly, the light disappears... push more and the light clicks off.

The Kroll; push the switch - the lights come on, push the switch again and the light is off. Because of this I think I would still use the Kroll switch on my AuroraLite Hotwire Kit.

PA

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Terralux switches. Very classy. I strongly endorse the Terralux switch. I'm not even going to open the RAM and NiteIze I got at Fry's. The Terralux integrates with the black finish of the body better than the original cap! Red plastic, rubber-like switch cap has rounded surface. Easy to click on and off, but nice solid feel and sound to the "click." Comes with spare (scratched) lens and (useless) lanyard. The lanyard is too small to fit over your wrist, so I took it off. It would interfere anyway when inserting and removing from sheath. There is no way it can be accidentally turned on when inserting the light into it's sheath, no matter how hard I pushed.

The switch is designed for the incandescent MM, and the battery contact spring in the switch does not reach far enough into the LED MM to make contact. People have made short insulated aluminum spacers, and even stretched the spring out a bit (ouch!) to get around this. I thought I would try one thing. I took the spring out of the LED MM tail cap by pulling while twisting it clockwise. The spring has a slight taper to it. I turned the LED MM spring upside down and slid the smaller end over the Terralux's spring so the wider end contacts the battery. Having the smaller end of the LED MM spring fit over the small Terralux spring causes it make contact with each other. When it's all screwed together, the light and switch work fine. There was a chance it wouldn't work, and frankly I thought if it did work, the connection would not be too good, but surprisingly when it's screwed together fully, I couldn't get it to flicker at all when I banged the light around near the tailcap. It flickers a little as you screw the switch on, but as you make that final tightening, it seems to make a good solid contact. I put a little piece of aluminum foil between the coils of the spring before tightening just to be sure.