Should I buy Surefire G2 or fenix p1d-ce

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
Should I buy the surefire G2 or the Fenix P1D-ce?

The surefire is only 35 shipped but the fenix is 70 shipped

the surefire uses 2 batteries and needs replacements for the bulbs and which is actually brighter? the surefire g2 or the fenix p1d-ce?

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Lumen wise the P1d will be brighter i believe but the g2 will throw further. What will you be using the light for? The g2 is good for spotting and such while the p1d ce is good for long run usage. The biggest factor in which one you decide to get is what you will be using it for.

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
I will be using it for general use and power outages and random things and mainly price wise which one will cost less to "keep" as in power usage and bulb replacements. So which one do you think I should get

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
I have both, I'd say with the flexibility, color, and brightness, go for fenix.
I'd say the fenix can throw further from my initialy 7 meter comparison. Besides you can get rcr batteries for the fenix, more flexible batteries.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Just buy both:lolsign:

In the very long run the p1d ce will be cheaper but the g2 would be cheaper in the short term as far as usuage. Then again you could always buy recharables and elimnate that factor. The p1d ce sounds like it fits you best. Got high power if needed but it seems to be would mostly be used on the lower levels. While the G2 has only one level and runs for sixty min only.

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
I dont need both and I am not rich enough to buy both that is why I need to know which one to get . Now this will be the deciding factor...is the fenix as "heavy-duty" as the g2? As in does the military use the fenix p1dce like they use the g2? Which one is better at "handling" drops, scratches, and abuse?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
Okay thanks but my only question now is the fenix as "heavy-duty" as the g2? As in does the military use the fenix p1dce like they use the g2? Which one is better at "handling" drops, scratches, and abuse?

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
With the G2 you wouldn't worry about scratches, but drops can kill the lamp. The Fenix has the LED, but it is aluminum so it isn't really shock proof. From all that you've told us, the Fenix is probably the best choice as far as a general purpose low cost to operate light goes.

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
But the fenix can handle occasional hard/heavy drops at times right? and it doesn't scratch easily correct? Also we can use it in the rain and it wont be damaged if I drop it into a pool or something right?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 being nitrolon, will probably withstand more in the sense of body damage. But since it is using a bulb, it can spoil with great impact and life of the bulb will definitely lose to an LED.

The Fenix is HAIII coated, but Fenix's HAIII isn't the most durable stuff. You might get scuffs and all that, but it does not affect operation of the light. The LED itself is 'shockproof' while inside the light. Great impacts might damage the converter/wires/electronics inside though.

So overall, do you want to protect the body or the bulb/LED? Fenix prob can suffice as a medium duty light and still work fine.

Anyway, if you are on budget, get a Jetbeam CL-E, Rexlight or wait for Jetbeam MkIIx. These lights cost around the same as G2 (MkIIx still unannounced), and have everything the Fenix P1D CE has. (except they are AA size, but if u don't mind even a G2, that's not an issue)

The Jetbeam's HAIII is pretty tough stuff too (at least based on the old models) and will hold up well against scratches. As to shock resistance, I guess minor drops and stuff will still be ok.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
I've had my fenix for 1 month now. No scratch, nothing on it, and I take it with me everywhere, everyday. But I don't mind, I have 2 of them :)

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
So if I was doing heavy duty stuff or drop it often or something get the surefire g2 instead? And if im doing medium duty stuff the fenix will do right? Also If I keep it next to my keys how easily does it scratch?

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
This may sound stupid but is www.fenix-store.com the official fenix store? And I get the full warranty right? And what is the warranty and how long before they will ship out my light?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, you should get the Fenix. It is brighter and lasts longer, and that's with just one battery instead of 2. The led lamp is less fragile than the incandescent lamp. The P1D-CE is not sturdy as the G2, so if you want to use it to crack walnuts, get the G2. The Fenix is lighter than the G2, so it will hit the ground with less force than the G2, when dropped from an equal height. The Fenix holds up well on a key chain, and can survive most drops on the floor with little or no damage.

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
Cool, how dies it handle scratches and is www.fenix-store.com the official fenix store? And I get the full warranty right? And what is the warranty and how long before they will ship out my light? Also which do you think looks better the black or the natural ?

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
thesmacker11 said:
Cool, how dies it handle scratches and is www.fenix-store.com the official fenix store? And I get the full warranty right? And what is the warranty and how long before they will ship out my light?

I have had on my key chain for a few weeks with no damage at all. You get the full warranty. I don't think it is the official store, but it is an official distributor. You also get a discount as a member of CPF. Use the CPF search function for details on that. They ship very fast. You could always check with them ahead of time, if you want to see if something is in stock. As far as I know, the P1D-CE is in stock.

thesmacker11

Newly Enlightened
Okay thanks, this may sound "weird" but which one do you think looks/is better? The natural or the black? Hmm, I can't seem to find the coupon

Last edited:

Latest posts