ALL FLASHAHOLICS PLEASE CONTRIBUTE! 5+ MINUTE SPEECH TO MAKE ON LIGHTS -SUGGESTIONS?

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Yes thats right! for school i need to right a speech and present it to my helpless victems. Please give me ideas to fill out the paper and make it interesting.

It will be filmed and sent to my prof at texas tech. I will have props (M6!!!) and CPF will get a plug as well as a few companies. I will need some loaner lights for some things and will give those i quote mention. Review sites will get plugs too.

The topic i choose is Flashlights.

sub topics are:

common use

emergancy use

tactical use

etc.

Im open to ideas so submit them here and dont delay - i only have a couple days!
cool.gif

thanks

Max

Enlightened
Re: ALL FLASHAHOLICS PLEASE CONTRIBUTE! 5+ MINUTE SPEECH TO MAKE ON LIGHTS -SUGGESTIONS?

I don't know what the context of the course is, but if I were making a speech on "lights" I wouldn't break up the subtopics as you've suggested.

Your audience presumably knows what a flashlight does, and they probably have some decent guesses as to how they are used and by whom.

I would focus on discussing traits and their tradeoffs. For example, I would discuss battery types and explain some issues of size, voltage, price and capacity. I would discuss some illumination technologies: incandescent, flourescent, and LED. I would discuss issues of how beam shape is affected by bulb type and reflector size, shape and texture. I would discuss issues of run time and discharge curves.

Max

Enlightened
Re: ALL FLASHAHOLICS PLEASE CONTRIBUTE! 5+ MINUTE SPEECH TO MAKE ON LIGHTS -SUGGESTIONS?

Or, walk up to the podium with a pile of blank overhead transparencies. Blind 'em with your M6, and then proceed to give your talk, making frequent references to "diagram 1-C" and "chart 12-e and f" which your audience will accept at face value because they are too embarrassed to admit that all they could see were a bunch of green swirlies the whole time.

laynlow

Newly Enlightened

lol

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

If your sub-topics can aren't "concrete", it should be easy to do 5 minutes or more on the basics/drawbacks/benefits of LEDs vs. incandescents!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might have considered a history/future correlation between low/high tech.

Maybe consider EDC as a sub-topic.

I don't know your experiential level with speeches so let me take this opportunity to insult your intelligence.

Here are some things I've learned from public speaking:

1 person is easy to talk to. I find 300 + not that difficult to talk to...they usually will have a self-governing decorum. 5 to 15 people is the hardest. They will compete for interactivity.

Go to the podium twice on two separate days before the speech. Try to get used to the AV stuff. If you can practice just hearing your voice that will help. If you are using an 'INFOCUS' machine make sure your CD sincs up with the house OS and if not, how to quickly get it to.

Stand in about the same place...not robotic, but definitely no pacing. Pan the audience with your face. Let them all know that they are all included.

Humor is good. For me, I may think of a few openers that are specific to the group but I have better results allowing myself the freedom to say what ever occurs to me. I may see something that inspires an impromptu comment.

Since you are using props, let them be your reference cards. Five flashlights will get you 4 minutes of speech. If you are going to allow interactivity allow for that time. Five minutes is harder than 20 minutes.

Make a point. You don't want to hear your listeners in the lobby saying, "Well, it was interesting but, what was the point?"

Since the topics are self proclaimed in this class I'm thinking that your professor will be interested in your ability to captivate your audience and make a clear point. Don't overwhelm them with your expertise.

Be nervous. If you are not nervous speaking publicly you are not enjoying it and you are not being real. It is exhilarating.

Have fun. This is an opportuntiy to speak to fairly intelligent individuals about something that you know about and love.

If you need a BB500 kit, PM Icebreak. He will be happy to loan you one.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aragorn.. you're so loud...(on the topic, everything is in CAPS...)

Here's my contribution, don't forget to send me the Surefire M6 you promised me when I'm done here...
grin.gif

Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, teachers and judges. *Blah blah, you get the idea*

Today I'm here to give a talk on lights. Particularly, Torchlights or Flashlights as some may call it [reverse the order depending on which region of earth you are in]. Many of you would have wondered:" What's there to talk about torchlights/flashlights? They are just a over-rated battery holder with a nice bulb and a reflector design to put out usuable light. Well, that's why I'm here today, to educate you all about the numerous use and functions of torchlights/flashlights (from here on known as TL/FL). First, let's understand a bit about their history:

Blah blah, some guy whose name I can't remember made the first FL/TL. That person's a fireman, blah blah battery sucks, blah blah, flash of light. That's why they are a.k.a flashlights. That guy made it for the purpose of blah blah.... Fast forward to today. [As you have already posted, common use, tactical use, emergency use] Blah blah.

With todays technology, torchlights are giving out more light than ever, getting into smaller size than you would have imagine while giving out respectable amount of light blah blah (a.k.a LS in a ARC size package with 1 hour run time on a AAA alky) From here, start on a LED and incandescent education. Going on towards where each of them are heading today. And of cos giving them an example with the flash of the SF M6 so that everyone goes WOAH!!!! For best effect, it's good to have all lights turned off in the hall/room/auditorium blah. Don't forget the 500 lumens LA. Of cos you can also bring along a cheapo walmart light and on it first before showing them the M6. Find out which torch your community uses most so that they can see the power of the M6. Also show them a 5 watt LS which is seriously overdriven with good heatsinking (maybe you can approach Don (McGizmo) for help on a 3 cell SF 5 watt LS SE mod? Don't forget the turbo head.

To sum everything up, emphasize again the importance of a torch in each and every situation (common, emergency, tactical) preferbly having a member of the audience up on stage and ask him to really come as hard as he can towards you as if he wants to beat you up (of cos try and get one of your friends to do it so that he can put on a convincing act... lol!

Okay Aragorn, where's my M6!
grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nerd -

Ya know I love ya man, but this time I'm gonna have to disagree.

The "blah, blah, blah" part is the most important part. It's not 'blah, blah, blah'. It's, "I would like to let you know about something that may be of particular interest to you and I hope you will entertain what I have to say."

Though the suggestions have great merit, this is a five minute speech; they can't be covered in the time limit.

It is too predictably obvious. During intercourse with a group, having several long hard things available to the speaker, it would be somewhat offensive to ejaculate their power onto the crowd.

Way too Freudian.

utmost most respect,

great cheers,

- Ice

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might also ask for a raise of hands or show of lights of those who are actually carrying flashies with them.

Then ask the others what they are thinking they'll do when the power fails in this auditorium.
grin.gif

THAT should get their attention.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Good idea binky--take it a step further.

"Who has a flashlight on them right now? Raise of hands please...

Ok great! Now, try them--whose lights need fresh batteries?"

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Oh yeah, an "attention getter" is required at the beginning...Get the audience's attention focused on what you have to say!!

You could act "disturbed" (easy for me, Ha!) - "There's just been an incident and we need a flashlight immediately, does anyone have one?"...pause and then pull one out yourself...to lead in...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Icebreak, I lurv ya too. It's not meant to be too serious, just a very rough outline (can that even be called an outline? LOL!) Give him loads of stuff to choose so that he can pick what he wants. We don't know his community as well as him. So we are just going to bombard him with loads of opinions so that he can pick and choose... ain't we CPFers helpful....
grin.gif

Also: With utmost respect to all!

P.S. Keep those suggestions coming, I'll like to see how Aragorn takes to CPFer's suggestions and which does he use.

Thanks for pointing that out to me Ice!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nerd -

Thanks for again forgiving me my own self-importance. It's difficult for me to remember that just because I said it, it may not be that important.

Helpful is different story. I know every key I strike is helpful in one way or another. For awhile now, I've been concerned that I might not be as helpful as I could be. It's apparent that I should alleviate this concern with more keystrokes.

I think that if Aragorn would not mind employing us; binky, Sigman, Saaby me and you and a few other members could put on one heck of a skit.

But, what would we call our troup?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think at the end of 1 page worth of suggestions, I would think that someone could compile up all the suggestions into 1 post and give a very clear and informative, relavant, compact, way of delivering your 5 mins speech. Not to mention blinding the audience, getting them to participate in the whole thing, making this talk much more livelier (funnier?) while keeping to time limits.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mary Tyler Moore began her career as a dancer. Her first television appearance was as a dancing cigarette pack...great legs. C'mon, I know some of you have seen the **** Van Dyke Show. Mary in the little pleated tennis outfit..great legs, eh?

How about a dancing flashlight girl? Yes? No? C'mon, say it in your head one time..."Dancing Flashlight Girl".

THAT would get my attention.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

If Aragorn dresses up as a "Dancing Flashlight Girl"...I think we deserve a posted picture for our contributions!
grin.gif

(However, if it's detrimental to the final grade...we didn't have anyting to do with it!
grin.gif
)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember somewhere on the web where there's a link for a party costume made outta LEDs... Hmm...
grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

If the taped version has more weight than the live version I would start the presentation with a short opening statement about the intrinsic value of a torch. then 10-20 seconds of common use. At that moment I would have the room go completely dark and I would say, "Let me skip forward for a moment to emergency use" I would then illum. myself with a ARC AAA size light. I would outwardly appear flustered but would never miss a beat with my speech. I would speak two sentences about emergency use and then have the lights come back on. I would break back to common use like nothing had happened.

Have fun with it whichever way you go.