why are the threads on my p1d-ce black?

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure exactly why the threads on the p1d-ce is black after some use. I have nyogel on the threads for lubrication, but I wonder if this is the cause or is it the by-product of the burning of the rcr123 cells? Is it by product of gasses? Is it dangerous, can it explode - the gas?

Thanks.

PB92

Newly Enlightened
Tim, I saw the same thing with my natural one. I was thinking that it may be from the threads are not coated with anything, they are bare aluminum, and since the light is activated by twisting, the black is from friction between the threads. It's like polishing bare aluminum and your rag turns all black as you polish. I could be wrong, anybody???

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that is natural for all aluminum, mine do that too. I use progold on the threads and that seems to help a bit.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is the aluminum particles suspended in your lubricant that causes the black color with every twist the aluminum is being ground by the mating threads and the particles are becoming suspended in teh lube. No real way around it.

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
I have that problem on a P1, I use vaseline on it but the thing has rough threads. I think it is the aluminum oxide that comes off after twisting. I have since used some PTFE thread seal tape to cover the threads after hearing about it in the forum.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
are you sure it's not just dirt/dust? give it a wipe. dirt will get in one way or another, especially if you have it in a pocket or holster, and get trapped/suspended in the lube, whether you use it or not. give it a wipe down and see.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
Giving it a wipe will make it dissapear, I did that before, but it's still doing the same the next time.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
its aluminium oxide theres no way to avoid it. but i have noticed that on lights that dont use the threads as an electrical path seem to have less of the gunk. so im tihnking its triggered by the electrical current moving through it. just a thought.

St8kout

Newly Enlightened
If you've ever cleaned/polished aluminum such as the wheels on a car you will see the cleaning cloth turn black. This is normal with aluminum. In fact, if your rag doesn't turn black then your wheels are clear coated.

Flashlight Enthusiast
A coating on there like chemkote on SF lights will prevent aluminum-aluminum wear and there shouldn't be a buildup of aluminum particles in the thread lube. PTFE tape would work and has excellent lubricating properties.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I suggest using SKF LGLT2 Grease. This type of grease can withstand high temperatures without melting. It is solid like gel (more solid tha liquid) less oily and primarily designed for high speed high temperature bearings and excellent for bare metal to metal contact such as aluminium etc also safe for rubber ptfe and the sorts. I have tried many solutions but this is by far the best. It minimises friction thus preserving the threads. My SFlites uses them......

coppertrail

Enlightened
I use Nyogel 760 on my P1D as well, and the threads haven't (yet) turned black. Since its new, I wipe/lube the threads each time I change the battery.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminium Oxide and "exploding" RCR123's, great combination !!!

LightBright

Enlightened
Speaking of things turning black inside the P1D CE, I just noticed some "extra" black anodizing on the flat area where the head makes contact with the body of the light. Not very helpful for making good contact.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
coppertrail said:
I use Nyogel 760 on my P1D as well, and the threads haven't (yet) turned black. Since its new, I wipe/lube the threads each time I change the battery.

Don't wipe it until several changes, then you'll notice it.

The nyogel has very good properties, -20 to +100? I forget the top end of the temperature.....

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I've used Radioshacks' ptfe based lubricant without any problems and little oxidation.

Latest posts