Streamlight Survivor LED

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
I was at a basic vehicle rescue class earlier tonight. It was dark and all the firefighters began turning on there streamlight survivors. They were all fairly bright until one guy fired up his Streamlight Survivor LED. it destroyed all the other lights!!! does anyone know of any LED lights that are smaller or just easier to carry but match or are brighter that the Survivor LED? Thanks in advance!

iveseenthelight

Newly Enlightened
I'll be the first of many to say it; Streamlight ProPoly Lux 4AA. Its a nice light I'd say....

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh yes, the illustrious Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux, Fantastic light for the money, Buy one!! You will enjoy it,,,!! Guaranteed

Gnufsh

Enlightened
The Survivor LED is brighter overall than the propoly and has a tighter spot, still good though. I love my survivor LED, althout I am thinking of upgrading it to a SSC P4.

speederino

Enlightened

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the Luxeon V lights might put out more over all light (flood), but for throw, about the only mass produced LED light that will outthrow the Survivor LED is the MagLEDs in 3C/D cell lights. The SL ProPoly Luxeon lights are excellent performers, but they're not going to match the throw or output from the Survivor.

skiersl9 said:
does anyone know of any LED lights that are smaller or just easier to carry but match or are brighter that the Survivor LED? Thanks in advance!

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the fast responses! I have heard lots of good things about the SL ProPoly Lux lights I think I am finally going to have to break down and get one... thanks again for the quick responses!

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
iveseenthelight said:
I'll be the first of many to say it; Streamlight ProPoly Lux 4AA. Its a nice light I'd say....
The survivor LED totally blows the 4aa SLPP away...

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
TeaQue said:
The survivor LED totally blows the 4aa SLPP away...

Is that using the NiCad battery pack or the 4AAs? Is there much, if any, difference in output or runtime with the different packs. FlashlightReviews only tested the AAs. Looks like a great light.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
I don't think there is much (if any) output difference between the packs, but I don't have my hands on the ni-cd pack. On AAs the Survivor LED dows do much better than the propoly.

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I think I finially need to get a Survivor LED. I have been trying not to because I am happy with my Survivor Incan. I do have an extra rechargeable batt for the survivor so I can save money by getting the AA. Does anyone know who has them the cheapest??
Dave

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just did a bit of messing around with my Survivor LED down in the basement. First off I hooked it up to my bench power supply. Slowly ramping up the supply voltage caused a corresponding increase in supplied current and LED brightness until 4.8 volts was reached and the light was drawing 610 mA. Increasing the voltage beyond this point as high as 8.0 volts resulted in no change in current draw, up or down. Light brightness didn't change either. This means that the convertor circuit is simply "dumping" power supplied at over 4.8 volts.

Contrast that with the Propolymer 4AA Luxeon, which as supplied voltage rises between 4.4 and 6.0 volts, current draw goes down keeping power draw from the battery fairly constant. Past 6.0 volts it does go out of regulation and current draw increases rapidly.

The Survivor LED will be safer with Nimh/Nicad rechargeables because power draw and light brightness fall quickly below 4.8 volts input (so overdischarge is less likely), while the Propolymer 4AA Lux will more efficiently use higher voltage lithium AA cells.

Just for comparison, the 4AA Propolymer Lux was drawing 550 mA at 4.8 volts, so total draw from the batteries, and probably power to the LED, is only about 10% less than the LED Survivor at that voltage.

My final maneuver was to replace the stock Luxeon in the LED Survivor with a UVOJ emitter. This was not difficult to do, and measured Lux went from 5400 to 7500, a nice pop! The Survivor LED does have a much smaller and more intense hotspot than the 4AA Propolymer Lux.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
I think the Survivor LED uses a circuit similar to that in the Div 1 propoly, as they were going for a div 1 rating on that as well. I'm thinking of putting a SSC P4 in mine.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to try Fox Intl. OpticsPlanet often has a better price on Streamlight industrial lights when you factor in the shipping, but they don't seem to carry the Survivor LED. There have been a few genrations of Survivor battery packs, but if yours is for the current version, it should work with the Survivor LED as well. Similarly, you should be able to use the alkaline battery pack in your incandescent Survivor. And since the light is rated to run at 4.8V, you can use NiMH AA batteries in the alkaline pack, and it will probably outlast the NiCD pack.

FireFighter05 said:
Ok, I think I finially need to get a Survivor LED. I have been trying not to because I am happy with my Survivor Incan. I do have an extra rechargeable batt for the survivor so I can save money by getting the AA. Does anyone know who has them the cheapest??
Dave

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight rates both the alkaline and the NiCD packs for 3 hours on high.
You'll probably get a little more run time using AA NiMH batteries in the AA battery pack, depending upon their capacity.

LED_Thrift said:
Is that using the NiCad battery pack or the 4AAs? Is there much, if any, difference in output or runtime with the different packs. FlashlightReviews only tested the AAs. Looks like a great light.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
You might want to try Fox Intl. OpticsPlanet often has a better price on Streamlight industrial lights when you factor in the shipping, but they don't seem to carry the Survivor LED. There have been a few genrations of Survivor battery packs, but if yours is for the current version, it should work with the Survivor LED as well. Similarly, you should be able to use the alkaline battery pack in your incandescent Survivor. And since the light is rated to run at 4.8V, you can use NiMH AA batteries in the alkaline pack, and it will probably outlast the NiCD pack.
I got my survivor LED from optics planet.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! Why don't you show FireFighter05 where it is with the URL or something.
I've looked several times and I just couldn't find it under their listings for Survivor products. But it does look like they carry the AA battery packs in the event that someone needs spares.

Gnufsh said:
I got my survivor LED from optics planet.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine here:
http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=336

Based on the current draw, I think you would get a bit more than 3 hours of fully regulated brightness with 2000-2500 mAh Nimh cells, and a pretty good tail of gradually decreasing brightness after that - on high.

Low was drawing 280 mA on mine, so 7-8 hours would be realistic.

pec50

Enlightened
Another light you might want to consider is the UK 4aa Fire eled. I use it as a helmet mount and it has survived a few hot interior fires. Reference Brightguy and Flashlight Reviews for additional information.