THROW and RUNTIME

iveseenthelight

Newly Enlightened
I am sure this is a hard to find combo but I am looking for a good LED light with throw and runtime. Battery type and size really aren't factors as I am just really getting into high end lights and not really getting them for specific jobs. Thanks for the help....

I have already purchased the SL ProPoly 4AA and 3C; they are great lights!

Cydonia

Enlightened
Well, I'll give an answer that probably will not be very popular, and certainly not very sexy, but here goes anyway: A cheap ol' Maglite with mag LED will give you that combination. (People will say the throw is no good, the beam has holes and isn't smooth etc., but hey, what do ya expect for $20!) Any of the 2, 3 or 4 C or D size ones with their LED module have nice run times. 3D is the brightest module by a few percent, about 26 hours consistent constant light (after the initial drop of 50% when the LED heats up). And even after that time it still puts out light, dropping slowly for many more hours. Read the review and examine the graphs at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm if you have not done so already.

Flashlight Enthusiast
H mm maybe you should stray away from LED and get some HID I have plans for 3.8 hours and 500 lumen's with super mag throw out of a smooth reflector.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with getting decent throw with a led flashlight, is that leds not yet have reached the surface brightness of incans like halogen.. But they already come close.

No doubt that in the comming years they will surpass halogen on surface brightness, steaming towards HID as the next target..

With the surface brightness of todays led's (Cree) a 4D mag would give up to about 13,000 cp (Beam candlepower,, not lumens!)
Unmodified, the 4D mag has about 17,000 cp. A 4D mag with a halogen-projection bulb would give close to 30,000 cp. With a HID-bulb, it would give about 100,000 cp!

Ofcource, todays emitters give much more lumens compared to the stock- mag-bulbs.

For longer runtimes you need efficiency: Here the HID still is the king !! But for how long ??
The most efficient Cree's have surpassed halogen powered at specs, and are very close to HID. You can already read about 130 lumens/watt emitters on the web.

Led's definitely are the fastest growing lightsource right now.:popcorn:

It won't be long before the leds surpass incans on all fields !

Regards,

Ra.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're running bump into the laws of physics. If you want long run time you need either a relatively low total light output (lumens) or a battery with a lot of energy, or both. To get good throw, you need to have either a lot of total light output (lumens) or a narrow, concentrated beam or both. What this boils down to is that you should be looking for a flashlight with a high-energy battery (say, several D cells or a couple of CR-123A lithiums) and a big reflector. A D cell LED Mag is in this category, and the Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon lights are a very nice compromise in this direction. I think it'll be hard to beat these by much at present. Of course, replacing the LED in either one with a Cree XR-E or Seoul P4 will give you either double the run time or twice the lux value (same brightness at 1.4 times the distance) with no tradeoff due to the LED's higher efficiency.

c_c

Illum

Flashaholic
iveseenthelight said:
I am sure this is a hard to find combo but I am looking for a good LED light with throw and runtime. Battery type and size really aren't factors as I am just really getting into high end lights and not really getting them for specific jobs. Thanks for the help....

I have already purchased the SL ProPoly 4AA and 3C; they are great lights!

Just throw and no spill I'd recommend you look in the Inova's line of lights...XO3

pure throw...for about 2.5 hours, which is pretty good already
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_xo3.htm

can you be more explicit on "runtime" ?

iced_theater

Enlightened
Elektrolumens K2-LongThrow......I'm still waiting on mine, but it should throw great as it uses a 3" reflector and uses 4C cells, so it should run for hours on a charge