Taxes - Anyone done them yet?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a college student, it benefits me to get my taxes done early, so I can fill out the FAFSA by Feb 15. Armed with my new copy of TurboTax, a bunch of 10XX and W2's, I came out an hour later with a finished return, and expecting a wad of cash back.
grin.gif
Now to find out how much financial aid I'll get next year
tongue.gif

Anyone else gotten their taxes done yet?

-Darin

Saaby

Flashaholic
Got my W2 but haven't done the Taxes yet--waiting to do them with my dads Turbotax. Need to do them so I can get my $7 rebate--oh yeah!

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Electronic filing is the only way to go!
smile.gif

Just sent them off yesterday and already the IRS has the info. Will get my refund directly deposited into my checking account within 2 weeks - not too shabby!

Now, if it was the other way around, I wouldn't be doing them until April!

BTW - Saaby - I think TTax will only work for one tax return unless you got a version that supports more - doh! And this year they added all this piracy protection BS that doesn't even get uninstalled with TTax. Ya gotta get special instructions on how to do it - bogus! This might be my last year w/ TTax - but it imports all the stuff from the previous year so I don't have to type it in. We'll have to see what kind of flak falls out...

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Artie-

I have TurboTax Deluxe, and I'm able to do multiple returns. Might be "basic" that only allows you to do one return. I know the TT State version locks its self to only one state.

My first E-file with TT Deluxe is free, (mail-in rebate), and my copy of state will be free when I mail in the rebate for that too. $40 to do your taxes right in an hour is well worth it!

-Darin

Anarchocap

Enlightened
All the stay resident copy protection and call Intuit to activate BS was enough to have me dump TT this year.

I went with Tax Cut from H&R Block. No BS. TC Deluxe was $25. In addition it has rebates for $5, a free TC State program, and a free federal E-File.

When all is said and done, it will have cost me a whole $30 to E-File both my Federal and State taxes. And I didn't have to deal with Intuit's BS copy protection scheme!

FWIW Tax Cut is basically the same as Turbo Tax. I really couldn't tell any difference in the programs.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
TT copy protection was completely invisible to me. It auto-activated online w/o problems. I only needed one state, so no problems there.

I'm a happy customer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't use any of these products, because my income falls below that established as the minimum taxable bracket.
icon15.gif

In other words, I don't need to file a return.
smile.gif

Never used or tried any of the TT products.
tongue.gif

Tomas

Banned
Yup. For me I look at the yearly figures from the Social Security and pension, look at the minimum income number where one is required to file and ignore it again 'til the next year.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think Turo Tax has already been purchased for this year. Pretty sure he got deluxe because my sister borrowed it and did her taxes (Call the feds...piracy! piracy!)

I don't know if it's been installed here yet or what so we'll see if it works as it should when it should. I'll probably do my taxes in TT and then mail them in--I'm in no hurry to get my refund.

I'll suggest Tax cut for next year.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
Go check out Irs.gov if your AGI is under 33,000 they have several web based companies you can link to. You can complete your return and efile for free. I used Completetax.com. Nice web based software does your Fed and Some States. Took me 1.5 hours and cost $0.
Patrick Hayes

Harrkev

Enlightened
TaxCut has the "Micro$haft" name on it -- so it is obviously affiliated with one of the little anti-christs, so I avoid it.

TurboTax has that restrictive copy protection -- the worst that I have ever heard of, so I avoid it.

Evan9162 -- even when you uninstall the tax software, the anti-piracy software is still there, eating up CPU cycles and memory. It will be there 5 years from now unless you reformat. Enjoy!

I used TaxAct ( www.taxact.com ). I downloaded it, and did not even have to go to the store. I paid $9.95, which included one free e-file. I am a happy camper!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Harrkev:
TaxCut has the "Micro$haft" name on it -- so it is obviously affiliated with one of the little anti-christs, so I avoid it.

Evan9162 -- even when you uninstall the tax software, the anti-piracy software is still there, eating up CPU cycles and memory. It will be there 5 years from now unless you reformat. Enjoy!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No it won't. You have no idea how much I know about Windows OS's.
grin.gif
I don't use program uninstallers, I yank out registry keys and delete files by hand. The registry is my home...file associations, service registration, device configuration...they are all tools at my disposal.

I know exactly what TT has done, there is an additional service running on my computer right now. It goes bye-bye
twak.gif

oh...
Please don't get me started on the "M$ is teh EVIL!" thing.
rolleyes.gif

-Darin

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Hey! Nice link for TaxAct!! Anyone know if it handles Employee Stock Option programs? This might be my new tax software next year!

Harrkev

Enlightened
Originally posted by evan9162:
You have no idea how much I know about Windows OS's.
grin.gif
I don't use program uninstallers, I yank out registry keys and delete files by hand. The registry is my home...file associations, service registration, device configuration...they are all tools at my disposal.

I know exactly what TT has done, there is an additional service running on my computer right now. It goes bye-bye
twak.gif

oh...
Please don't get me started on the "M$ is teh EVIL!" thing.
rolleyes.gif

-Darin
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, what I said stands for 99% of the population
wink.gif

Well, Micro$haft IS a convicted monopolist -- hence they broke the law -- hence they are criminals -- hence Billy G. needs to do hard time
tongue.gif

I don't want to turn this into anoter OS debate. So I will just say this:

http://www.hevanet.com/peace/microsoft.htm
http://boston.internet.com/news/print.php/1485861
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/12/09/021209opwinman.xml
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/02/01/microsoft.security.reut/

Harrkev

Enlightened
Originally posted by Gun Nut:
Hey! Nice link for TaxAct!! Anyone know if it handles Employee Stock Option programs? This might be my new tax software next year!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Download the free version and try it. If you don't like it, then dump it.

BTW: By "Employee Stock Option," are you claiming that as a deduction
grin.gif

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
Mine are done as are 7 other family members. I use TurboTax because it is recognized by ND for e-filing. I charge family members the cost of efiling plus $10 to cover the software ($35 total) The major plus is that every year I save all returns to a CD so I can print out copies for the last 3 years any time it is needed. I should also mention that I have no qualms about using regedit 2-3 times a week and I use CyberScrub 2-3 times a week to clean up my HD. After TT is removed, I will CyberScrub(Single Pass-Software), Defrag, and Cyberscrub again (DOD 7 pass Hardware tools)