• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Surefire A2 LEDectomy?

benighted

Enlightened
I have a RED A2 and I want to swap out the LED's with white ones. I run it on rechargables so what would be the best choice? Also, where can I buy them?
I'm confident enough in my soldering skills that I can do the modification, it looks like it will be a fairly easy mod.

greenLED

Flashaholic
AuroraLite's dummy guide to A2 LED modding is linked off my A2 LED review thread. I'm not sure if Milky changes the resistors when he does these mods. I know from seeing other people's A2's that using li-ions doesn't seem to affect the LED's negatively. Maybe much further down their lifespan? :thinking:

IIRC, the THC3 LED's have a forward current of 80mA or so - definitely able to withstand more abuse than "regular" LED's rated at 30mA. Google "THC3 LED" and their site should come up first.

benighted

Enlightened
I've got 2 of the THC3's soldered on so far... but they won't light, only the remaining stock LED will light.
I think the problem is there isn't enough current to light the THC3's because I tested a known good THC3 and ran it parallel to the stock LED as it was lit but it still wouldn't light. So I must need smaller resistors but they are SO tiny I don't think I can do it...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
make sure you have the polarity right! make sure they aren't shorting out on the back on the spring metal..

benighted

Enlightened
Thanks Isaac but I know I have the polarity right, I observed that the positive side of the LED's (small part) were all facing counter-clockwise. :thinking:

Anyways, I've contacted Milkyspit like I probably should have in the first place. :sweat:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you test it with your DMM?

Set it to the lowest resistance setting or try the diode test.

Put the leads on the leads of the LED. Does it light up? If not it may have a short (check the resitance) or the led may have been damaged from the heat from your soldering iron.

benighted

Enlightened
yep, the LED's are fine. I just tested each of them with a 123a. I haven't seen my DMM since I let (someone) borrow my good soldering kit, all I'm working with now is a big fat soldering gun. Also, I was very careful not to let anything to get too hot (3 seconds on, 6 seconds off)