Question from new guy

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I am fairly new to flashlight modding and I'm trying to build a 2D ROP. The only part I don't have is the 6AA-2D battery holder. My question is will the 8AA-2D that the shoppe has work? If so do I need dummy cells? Or, should I just wait for fivemega to do another run of 6AA-2D? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, the host is a M*G 2D.

Last edited:

RCatR

Enlightened
Some brands of AA cells are too fat to fit 4-wide inside a mag, but leaving 2 out(along the same side) should probably allow it to fit. Somewhere there is a list of battery brands that work and dont work...

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Shreklight, welcome to CPF. :wave:

A 2D Rop on 6 regular big brand rechargeable Ni-MH cells is nice but the Pelican bulbs that make up the ROP HI and LOW set are robust enough to allow for being driven on 7 rested cells and 1 dummy cell without instaflashing. 7 cells = brighter and whiter. That extra cell gives a good increase in lumens.

The trick with this is using cells that are thin enough to fit 4 wide in the 2D body. A known good configuration is using 7 of the slim Eneloop AA sized Ni-MH cells from Sanyo. They have a rated capacity of only 2000maH as compared to as much as 2700maH for the fatter AA cells (that won't fit 4 wide) but the Eneloops handle the 4 amp+ load of the ROP HI bulb well and you can leave the flashlight sitting unused for 6 months and not have to worry about the self discharge characteristics that require you to top up those regular Ni-MH cells once a month.

It's nice to have options.