How do I get my hands on an OSTAR?

Sable

Enlightened
Title pretty much says it all - despite their fairly lousy efficiency, I've been thinking of trying to lay my hands on one of those six-die Osram Ostar LEDs. Trouble is, I can't seem to figure out where to buy them! I have a funny feeling it's one of those thousand-piece-minimum-order problems...

I know they're not really intended for the...mm..."flashaholic" market, seemingly aimed at projectors and other non-flashlight products.

Anyway! If anyone knows how or where I might buy...say...one or two of them, please let me know. There might be a cookie in it for you, and I bake a mean cookie.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
For what it's worth, Edison Opto has a similar package. I don't know anything about it other than what's in its PDF. It looks like a fried egg. Still, it boasts 1000 lumens at 18V and 1120mA.

Give 'em a try. Report back.

Bernie

Sable

Enlightened
That's another thought - but I'm not thrilled about the EdiPower 20w unit, since it seems to be 20 one-watt emitters bodged together. Another thread from August on CPF had some pretty interesting info about it, but the last thing I heard was a really ugly beam pattern (and it's huger than Hugey McHugeHuge from Hugeville) and no one was sure if you could even stuff it in a flashlight!

I notice there was a group buy for these things a while ago (the Ostar 15w)...but my Google-Fu is failing me, I don't know where to get one of these! If it's a distributor-only thing, that's okay - I'll wait for the new Philips paper launch, or look at some Q3 XR-Es in a tri-star array. I want a small LED light packing at least 400 lumens out the window! :D

Thanks!