Lumileds Strikes Back with 502 lumen LED at 2A

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
Philips Lumileds, the pioneer and the leader in high-power LED technology, announced today new performance records for high-power white LEDs. Philips Lumileds 1x1 mm2, chip based white LEDs, operating at just 350 mA, delivered 136 lumens for a light source efficiency of 115 lumens per Watt at a correlated-colortemperature (CCT) of 4685K. At 2000 mA, Philips Lumileds white LEDs delivered 502 lumens at a corresponding 61 lumens per Watt.
Philips Lumileds HB White LED
Current_____ 350mA __2000mA
Lumens _______ 136 ___502
Lumens/Watt ___115 ___61
Watts ________ 1.2____ 8.3
The first devices using these technologies will be introduced in a new generation of products during this quarter. These new technologies will continue to proliferate in new, and existing, products throughout the next 12-18 months.
http://www.flashlightnews.org/story566.shtml

Last edited:

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
<sniff, sniff> smells like vaporware. It remains to be seen what this thing will look like when it eventually hits the market. Remember the hype behind the K2?

115lm/w @ 350ma or 502lm maximum output might not not mean all that much if those ratings are for Tj = 25C with an unobtainium bin. Luxeon thermal derates are rather substantial; binning just makes things worse. There's no reason to consider these figures valid for readily available parts until datasheets are available and parts appear on the market.

IF Lumileds can actually deliver, however, then it certainly looks like the days of incan bulbs in flashlights up to (but not including) M6/10X class are numbered.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
True. It could be an early announcement to keep their stock from dropping. If they don't have any made yet to sell, it's going to be a while before we can get a hold of some of these. And it's probably their best bin which will be in short supply even when they start shipping. It says it will start to release them this quarter. Do they mean the end of March?

Status
Not open for further replies.