inova X5

luchs

Newly Enlightened
i got a new inova X5 through eb..y.
it should be the new version with nichia leds.
how do i know, if i get a right one?? (not an older model)
i'm finding nothing on the package about it.
thanks

kooter

Enlightened
Be careful buying inovas on ebay. I got suckered big time on an X5. It was a few years ago, but once bitten. :rant:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
I thought the new X5's were the ones that came with the holster, Or is there a new one that I do not know about.:huh2:

Danbo

Enlightened
kooter said:
Be careful buying inovas on ebay. I got suckered big time on an X5. It was a few years ago, but once bitten. :rant:

Fill us in on the details. What happened? Did they send you an older version(still a good light, IMO), or did they send you a blatant ripoff copy, or nothing at all?

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
New model will have Inova name on the black rubber end cap.
Old style has Inova on metal part of end cap.

kooter

Enlightened
Danbo said:
Fill us in on the details. What happened? Did they send you an older version(still a good light, IMO), or did they send you a blatant ripoff copy, or nothing at all?

Danbo it was a blatant ripoff, but not so blatant that i realised:ohgeez:

I done a trade with mossyoak, and didnt know until he said about it here.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144640

I was still convinced it was good, until others chimed in and said otherwise. Did i feel like a fool. :ohgeez: So dont do as i did. Be careful with ebay.

deeplog

Newly Enlightened
My Inova X5 is almost two years, and have "Inova patented" & "Emissive energy" printed on the black rubber end cap. Nothing on the metal part.

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
deeplog said:
My Inova X5 is almost two years, and have "Inova patented" & "Emissive energy" printed on the black rubber end cap. Nothing on the metal part.
Thats the bad thing about updating your products and keeping the same part number.
I found the info. here:
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x5t.htm
Does your x5 have the grooves on the end cap(see picture of old version in link above) or the knurling?
Mine has knurling and name on the black so I assumed I have the newest version(Bought at Target 01/07).
Thanks,
Tim

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best way to differentiate between the Nichia CS-equipped X5s and the older type X5s is to hold the light fairly close to a white wall. If the beam from each LED is pretty much consistantly blue, it's probably the old style. If the center of each beam is blue-ish white and the outer areas of each beam is more yellow-ish or green-ish, they are probably the newer version.

Not 100% accurate, but true based on my experience.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please take a look at this thread -

Inova X5 (white)

for a comparison review with lots of side-by-side beamshots
as well as a lot of discussion on how to recognize the newer ones.

cslinger

Enlightened

Ditto here too. Mine have the knurling and the name on the rubber button on two of mine that are at least two years old. My oldest might have the name on the silver ring.

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
OK, mine is definately the new version but it came with a holster. It has knurling and the print in the rubber on the TC.
Dave

cslinger

Enlightened
Does anybody else find this funny?

Mine is the ribbed model with the plaid decoraction with lettering on the..........

Would it have been so hard for Inova to simply at a version number. X5V2, X5V3 or even a date stamp/code maybe just to make it fun. It could be X5, X5 The Return, Revenge of X5, X5 The final light. :D

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I have an X5....not really impressed with it...I like my XO much better! Much larger flood and tight hotspot.

deeplog

Newly Enlightened
Well, this is getting a bit confusing, but my model has knurling around the tailcap, looking exactly like the one reviewed elsewhere on this board, as opposed to the one pictured in flashlights reviews. A great flashlight anyway.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I bought two X5's over 3 years ago. I replaced the batteries in each at the same time, after 2 years! I felt I used them a lot though, during 2 years, and while they only have 7 hours or so runtime till 50%, that is great for my needs. CR123A vampires to be sure. Super emergency lights. Excellent beautiful simple engineering, the X5 is a real winner, a classic. I'm glad my versions both have the exquisite engraved lettering around the stainless ring in the tail cap and the black belt holsters.