Terrorism Home kit - What to gather and why?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
A close relative works for the subway system here (Metro) and they supplied chemical and biological masks to all employees. It's called the Quickmask and it retails for $170 or somewhere in that range. He will not visibly bring it around because the population might jump him for it...

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
My plans?

Maybe this is a good excuse to buy that M6 and a coupla cases of SF123's. Seriously, what can one realistically expect to survive if a dirty bomb or biological attack were to hit their area? It reminds me of the stories of the personal bomb shelter sales of the 1950's, none of which would have done any good at all.

I've got a load of '82s in the wine chiller (see, I don't really hate the French) that shouldn't be allowed to get too warm if the power goes out for days, 7 SF-123's from TTS, and my new LSH-P to help decant them.

What the heck else can I/anybody possibly do that'd help survival? A gas mask is pretty useless against, say, anthrax if it's all over the rest of me. My house is nearly 100 years old, so the drafts can't possibly be abated anyway. And a bunch of radioactive material isn't going to get cleaned up in less time than I'll need to leave my house to forage or go check out the effects of the Andromeda Strain.

It's not as though a bunch of terrorists will swarm in like **** roaches so I'd need a gun to defend against them. They want to kill us en-masse, not one-by-one. I've got no loot that someone might want to steal, therefore (and I view this positively) nothing I need to defend with a firearm. If the world turns into Gunfight At the OK Corral then I've been in enough paintball fights to know that eventually the defensive position will be overcome so might as well surrender and hope not to get shot.

I may step up my timeline of getting that well dug. That's about the only thing I can think of, though.

BuddTX -- (Q: "What happens when...") A: The room gets darker but your batteries charge?
wink.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
12Ga. w/ alternating 0 buck & slugs, 20Ga. pistol grip /w #4 buck, .45 long-slide and a couple of extra mags. With that, you can pretty much get anything else you need or want.
wink.gif

Anything else for which I would really have immediate need is always on my person anyway.

Always have water and a little food, Sleeping bag, first aid kit & tools in both cars, and the house is well stocked always.

All my gas masks and the like have kind of rotted, and therefore are useless, but I live somewhere that any kind of gas, biological etc. attack is incredibly unlikely. Feel sorry for the folks that live in NY, LA, Chi. etc.

But even in the big cities, I wouldn't worry too much- the odds are in your favor--- after all, the bad guys are a rag-tag bunch of idiots, NOT a disciplined, well equipped army of millions.

bewshy

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Silviron:
12Ga. w/ alternating 0 buck & slugs, 20Ga. pistol grip /w #4 buck, .45 long-slide and a couple of extra mags. With that, you can pretty much get anything else you need or want.
wink.gif

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Kimber 1911 Pro CDP II (wilson mags)
and my sweet baby the M3 (not the one from Fountain Valley, but the Italian one).

eb

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the title to this thread and my first thought was "A home kit for terrorists? What, for making bombs and stuff??"

Yeah, I know, pretty dumb of me, but it does kind of look a little ambiguous..

Anyway, if you think of this in terms of a disaster survival kit, there were a couple of threads about this previously.

As far as information about disaster survival and related issues is concerned, you can't go past http://www.equipped.org/

Graham

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
It sure would much easier to just obsolete these ***holes of the foreign lands. It would save time and a bunch of money.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Perhaps you could be a little more specific? From my point of view, you are in a foreign land..

MicroE

Enlightened
Originally posted by binky:
What the heck else can I/anybody possibly do that'd help survival?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, Binky, the idea isn't to survive an attack. If you're at ground zero you don't have much of a chance.

The idea is to survive the panic period afterward until the government re-asserts order. During this panic period some services will be curtailed or non-existent.

Transportation (food, etc.), communications, and energy delivery may be temporarily interrupted in the wake of an attack (or any disaster).
The attack may disrupt the daily lives of millions of people that are well outside the epi-center.---Marc

D

**DONOTDELETE**

both of these food bars are similarly priced

Mayday food bars:

http://store.yahoo.com/ehsgear/36calemfoodb.html

Essential nutrition for 3 days. Apple cinnamon. 5 year shelf life. $4. each.

(... don't freak when you get a 60% shipping charge - it's a yahoo error...don't know if it's fixed yet.)
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.4siteoutdoors.com/sos36calemba.html

Lemon flavored.

$59 case of 10
4 Site Outdoors
1229 East 2200 North
North Logan, Ut 84341
(435)752-2075
8:00am to 5:00pm (MST)
Monday thru Friday
[email protected]

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also go through the "Survival Preparedness" topic in the Cafe. Many things were discussed there, though for a longer time period. The idea was to NOT count on things getting back to a reasonable facsimile of "Normal" in a Government stated preparedness recommendation.

Masks don't protect against Contact Agents (ones that are absorbed through skin).

Albany Tom

Enlightened
While I was having lunch today one of the waitresses mentioned that she had to rush out after work and buy some duct tape. This puzzled me, so I asked why. It seems it's her duty as a citizen to do so, because she saw it on TV.

I'm pretty sure if Tom Brokaw told her to toss her infant child out a second story window she'd do it.

Anyway, lots of great stuff on the survival thread others have mentioned. Please remember that even in Isreal you have a far greater chance of accidentally being hit by a bus than harmed by a terrorist.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $1.25ea, my wife actually sorta gave me the okay to buy 123's from SF.

So I bought 2 cases. Shipped next day across the freakin' country for only $10 more bucks total!!!

I'm sure she's not expecting 144 of them, but that'll just be between us flashaholics and my checkbook until the end of the month. I may get to liking this "state of emergency" thing.
wink.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
FC what does your sig mean?
CB and MicroE hit it on the head, most people rely on the government and when it isn't meeting their needs panic ensues. Stock your larder and be prepared to lay low for a week or so. Listen to your radio, watch TV, talk to your neighbors, but be slow to act on info you receive. Most people want to feel important and the bearer of "news" in a disaster often has a big ego. Take care of yourself and your family.
Look up the survival thread here and read what CB has added, very good info.
BTW the title is pretty darn funny. "Learn At Home" how to be a terrorist.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
FC...You should add a link to that picture you posted for your sig so that you won't have to keep repeating yourself.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

also this;
"1 person - 1 year" kit, smaller units available from:

http://www.internet-grocer.net/1yr-fl1.htm

$689. + shipping
weight 105 lbs.
11 Cases containing a total of 66 #10 Cans (about a gallon in size), lids and
cookbook, Just Add Water.
Case 1
1 can each: Applesauce, Apple Slices, Fruit Galaxy, Banana
Slices, Peach-flavored Apple Flakes, Strawberry-
flavored Apple Flakes
Case 2
1 can each: Stew Blend, Sweet Corn, Potato Dices, Carrot
Dices, Garden Peas, Potato Granules
Case 3
1 can each: Green Beans, Hashbrowns, Chopped Onions, Stew
Blend, Potato Granules, Tomato Powder
Case 4
6 cans Regular Milk
Case 5
6 cans Instant Milk
Case 6
1 can each: Beef Bouillon, Corn Starch, Egg Mix, Cheese Powder,
Margarine Powder, Whole Eggs
Case 7
1 can each: Bacon TVP, Sausage TVP, Chicken TVP, Taco TVP.
2 cans Beef TVP
Case 8
1 can each: Cornmeal, Spaghetti, Buttermilk Pancake Mix, Germade
(like "Cream of Wheat"). 2 cans Macaroni
Case 9
1 can each: Red Beans, Small White Beans, Pinto Beans.
3 cans White Rice
Case 10
1 can each: 6 Way Rolled Grain, White Cream Sauce/Soup Base.
2 cans each: Quick Oats, 9 Grain Cracked Cereal
Case 11
1 can each: Peach Drink, Popcorn, Cocoa Mix, Iodized Salt.
2 cans ABC Soup Mix
Also Included
Lids, Cookbook, Just Add Water