Let's quit the UN!

Greta

Flashaholic
Let\'s quit the UN!

Let's quit the UN

Jewish World Review
Feb. 10, 2003/ 8 Adar I, 5763

Mark Steyn

Earlier this week, on NBC's Today Show, Katie Couric, saluted the fallen heroes of the Columbia: 'They were an airborne United Nations - men, women, an African-American, an Indian woman, an Israeli....'

Steady on, Katie. They were six Americans plus an Israeli. And, if they had been an 'airborne United Nations', for one thing the Zionist usurper wouldn't have been on board: the UN is divided into regional voting blocs and, Israel being in a region comprised almost entirely of its enemies, it gets frosted out from the organization's corridors of power; no country gets so little out of its UN membership. Say what you like about Abu Hamza, Britain's most prominent cleric, but in claiming the fate of the shuttle was God's punishment 'because it carried Americans, an Israeli and a Hindu, a trinity of evil against Islam', he was at least paying attention to the particulars of the situation, not just peddling vapid multiculti bromides. ~snipped to protect copyright~

Full Story

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very good article!!!
icon14.gif

Max

Enlightened
Re: Let\'s quit the UN!

Vote France Off the Island
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
February 9, 2003

Sometimes I wish that the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council could be chosen like the starting five for the N.B.A. All-Star team — with a vote by the fans. If so, I would certainly vote France off the Council and replace it with India. Then the perm-five would be Russia, China, India, Britain and the United States. That's more like it.

Why replace France with India? Because India is the world's biggest democracy, the world's largest Hindu nation and the world's second-largest Muslim nation, and, quite frankly, India is just so much more serious than France these days. France is so caught up with its need to differentiate itself from America to feel important, it's become silly. India has grown out of that game. India may be ambivalent about war in Iraq, but it comes to its ambivalence honestly. Also, France can't see how the world has changed since the end of the cold war. India can.

Full Story

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surely others find it chilling that it was a French Mirage jet that was modified to shoot out the toxic spray via airborne dispersion, which was shown by Colin Powell at his U.N. address, and that it's the French who are objecting to our invasion?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not really chilling or surprising, Binkster- The french have selling weapons to anyone with cash, regardless of their intent, for centuries.

But, as I said on a closed topic a week or so ago, those of us who keep up with such things knew that the french (and germans) have been selling conventional AND WMD components to iraq ever since WE quit arming them in the 1980s.

That, plus the big french (and german)investments in iraqui oil fields in the last year or two are the obvious (but not often discussed) reasons both countries are opposing any American actions.

Oh, and here is one for you all- apparently there is a faction in the german government trying to make Iraq a "protectorate" under germany and france in a REALLY wierd scheme to try to prevent the inevetible.

Two high level officials got into a fist fight
twak.gif
about it yesterday or the day before...

They both supported the idea, but blamed each other for a leak of the plan to the media.

Greta

Flashaholic

Originally posted by James S:
It would be kind of silly for them all to keep flying to the US for their club meetings if we weren't part of the gang anymore...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's reason enough right there for them to suck up to us. They could be having their club meetings in Siberia.

LED-FX

Enlightened

As far as I know the Mirage is a pretty elderly fighter jet, but France along with Britain and the U.S. rely in large part for arms sales to prop up the economy.

In the Falklands War, British ships were sunk by French made Exocet missiles.

In the middle East, Israel has used U.S. made Boeing missiles to exterminate refugee camps.

In Indonesia, with an apalling human rights record, the air force train in U.K. made Hunter jets.

South African torturers were supplied with leg irons marked with `Made in Britain`

Part of the reason the U.S know that Iraq had a nuclear weapons program is it sold them the centrifuge line for refining uranium.

During the Iraq V Iran war all these countries supplied both sides.

The impetuous towards an attempted invasion of Iraq is control or protection of control of a country that has 12% of the worlds oil supply and elimination of perceived threat to Israel.

Hussein is not any friend of Bin Laden, Bin Bag has previously made threats against Hussein because he interprets him as a threat against his own brand of Islam.

Afghanistan is hardly a closed and cleaned up case, indeed it failed in its main mission, capture Bin Bag.

Pakistan and India are constantly at each others throats, and are both nuclear powers.

North Korea is in a very unstable way and is a nuclear power.

The difference with these latter areas is they have the ability to launch a nuclear strike far outside their own territory.

Having a nuclear device is one thing, but delivery is something else, Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles are quite literally rocket science. Pakistan, India and North Korea are probably all sufficiently advanced to build one or three.

Only way Saddam would have of delivering such a weapon, if he had one, is on the back of a rental truck.

To see Israelies whine about international law is not a very funny joke, with Husseins hypothetical bomb on a truck Israel is probably about the limit of his range.

Any of the other nuclear capable countries, the entire globe is within target range.

To commit most of the forces available, currently something like 30% of the British Armed Forces for instance, to this situation does not leave much to handle any other potential problems.....

As the old saying goes United we stand, divided we fall.

Adam

MicroE

Enlightened

Originally posted by LED-FX:
In the middle East, Israel has used U.S. made Boeing missiles to exterminate refugee camps.
The impetuous towards an attempted invasion of Iraq is control or protection of control of a country that has 12% of the worlds oil supply and elimination of perceived threat to Israel.

Adam
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Adam---If the Israelis have exterminated the refugee camps why are there still so many Palestianians? The Israelis have shown MAJOR restraint in dealing with the "refugees". Consider what other countries have done with refugees: Algeria, Turkey, Serbia, etc., etc.

Next, the Israelis don't want the US to destroy Iraq. This war will de-stabilize the entire Middle east. Besides, every time that an arab nation attacked Israel the arabs have lost.

Sasha---I was so p-ssed when our government decided to start paying our UN dues a couple of years back. It's one thing to have a bunch of people hate us and insult us.
It's just stupidity for us to have to pay their rent so that they can hate us and insult us in our own country.

---Marc

Greta

Flashaholic

It's just stupidity for us to have to pay their rent so that they can hate us and insult us in our own country.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ain't that the truth!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

i wasn't aware that I had anything in common with the John Birch society. These are strange times indeed...

As far as the Israelis are concerned. This is recent history, and it's all documented. You might be able to argue as to the political reasons as to why things were done, but there is certainly no excuse to make mistakes about what WAS done.

LED-FX

Enlightened

Adam---If the Israelis have exterminated the refugee camps why are there still so many Palestianians?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was specifically refering to the Quana massacre.

Palestinians as in citizens of the republic of Palestine, Israelis as in citizens of the republic of Israel, guess thats why there is still Palestinians....

The Israelis have shown MAJOR restraint in dealing with the "refugees". Consider what other countries have done with refugees: Algeria, Turkey, Serbia, etc., etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Israel showing restraint?
I fail to see your point, Israel is under any interpretation ocupying Palestinian territory, the West Bank, this is creating the refugee situation.The bulldozing of the Jenin camp hardly looked restrained, the missile attack on Quana was in no way interpretable as `restrained`.I see Israels actions in part as no less reprehensible than that of the other countries you mention, but they do not earn the wrath of the international community.

International murder and kidnap are trade marks of Israels secret service , Gerald Bull and Mordechi Vanunu. Possibly no more than other countries but tolerated.

Next, the Israelis don't want the US to destroy Iraq. This war will de-stabilize the entire Middle east.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I`d agree that it is unlikely to bring any more stabilty to the area.

Iraq is an invention of the British, the name and borders only date to the 1920`s, at one point Winston Churchill , pre WW2, considered using poison gas on the `Iraqi` populace to keep them in line, only prevented because the technology was not available at the time.

Besides, every time that an arab nation attacked Israel the arabs have lost.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Some of my modern history is patchy, as far as I am aware Israel only came into being in 1946, what extended wars has Israel fought with its neighbours since?

Adam

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm.

Quit the UN.
Maybe quit NATO too.

Well... there might be some good reasons to stay in...

Naaaa....what do we need with a bunch of wimpy allies that don't always agree with us?
smile.gif

This whole thread is joke? Right? I mean, you are all just having fun. Right?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jewish World Review
Feb. 10, 2003/ 8 Adar I, 5763

Israel being in a region comprised almost entirely of its enemies, it gets frosted out from the organization's corridors of power; no country gets so little out of its UN membership.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The State of Israel was established by decree of the United Nations on 15 May 1948.

Isn't this a contradiction?

Albany Tom

Enlightened

Well, NATO was founded to protect Europe from being overrun, or taken piece by piece, by the Warsaw pact. This was no joke. It's impossible to know I suppose, but my guess is that without NATO, western Europe would have been taken one country at a time.

Now NATO is a supergroup without much of a threat.

Max

Enlightened

Originally posted by LED-FX:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Adam---If the Israelis have exterminated the refugee camps why are there still so many Palestianians?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was specifically refering to the Quana massacre.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...which the Israelis claim was an accident. They were returning fire from Hezbollah mortars and thought the U.N. camp was further away. See QANA: WAS IT A DELIBERATE ATTACK?...

And Israel returned fire with mortars apparently, not Boeing missiles as you said (not that it makes much difference).

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Israelis have shown MAJOR restraint in dealing with the "refugees". Consider what other countries have done with refugees: Algeria, Turkey, Serbia, etc., etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Israel showing restraint?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, compare Israel in Jenin to America in Afghanistan.

I fail to see your point, Israel is under any interpretation ocupying Palestinian territory, the West Bank, this is creating the refugee situation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The refugee camps in the West Bank were built under the Jordanians, and the refugee camps in Gaza were built under the Egyptians.

I see Israels actions in part as no less reprehensible than that of the other countries you mention, but they do not earn the wrath of the international community.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Israel has earned nothing but the wrath of the international community. The U.N. has passed hundreds of resolutions condemning Israel. Has the U.N. ever voted to condemn, say, Libya? Syria?

[Some of my modern history is patchy, as far as I am aware Israel only came into being in 1946, what extended wars has Israel fought with its neighbours since?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Israel was established in 1948 and fought a war of independence. It then fought the Six-Day War in 1967, the Yom Kippur War in 1973, and the Lebanon war in 1982.

B@rt

Flashaholic

I do not want to start anything, just ask a question, since Israel seems to be a big part in this discussion.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but , when Israel was founded in 1948, what happened to the people living there already?
confused.gif

I mean, how was this accomplished?
icon3.gif

What happened to the rights of the people actually inhibiting the land at the time?
icon3.gif

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened

sodam insane could easily pull a small ship(or several ships) of some sort within striking distance of a large majority of the USA.Or possibly sell a WMD to any group that is at odds with the USA. Surley we dont want to sweep iraq under the rug and let it turn into another north korea. north korea has a intercontinental missle, although untested its still a great threat to this country! LETS GET OUT OF THE un.