TLE-5 brighter than TLE-5K2?

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my TLE-5K2 upgrade and am a bit bewildered. I compared it to my TLE-5 and my TLE-5 has visually more output, both in throw and spill. I did a ceiling test inside and several outdoor tests. Does anyone else have both drop-ins? I tried Energizer 2500mAh's(same as I'm running the TLE-5 on) and Duracell alkalines with the same results. I've been more than impressed with all the TerraLUX products in the past ...could I have a defective unit?

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi chrome-addict,

You're not using an IQ switch or anything like that right?

The K2 should be significantly brighter all else being equal (batteries etc).

If you bought it from us send an email to customer service on the website requesting an exchange and we'd be happy to exchange it.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and my TLE-5K2 is noticeably brighter than the old one. The TLE-5 I have does have a bigger hotspot, but otherwise is less brighter...

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
MattK said:
Hi chrome-addict,

You're not using an IQ switch or anything like that right?

The K2 should be significantly brighter all else being equal (batteries etc).

If you bought it from us send an email to customer service on the website requesting an exchange and we'd be happy to exchange it.

No, it's in a brand new host MM ...factory switch. I did notice that the TLE-5K2 produces a whiter light, just not as bright(spot or flood) as my TLE-5. Just wanted to make sure that this was abnormal before trying to exchange it for another.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hotpot can be a factor of how far down the emitter is pressed. Make sure it's firmly seated.

chrome-addict, if you bought it from my store send an email and my guys will send an RMA tomorrow.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had noticed the same, my TLE-5K2 wasn't as bright as my TLE-5 also it would not focus to well. I then removed the Plastic disc in the head of the M@Glight, the one that says Please Do Not Remove. I them re assembled the mag making sure that I had two almost dead cells in the Flashlight, we would not like to burn anything out would we. Then placed the TLE-5K2 back into the MAG, made sure the module was the right way around. I tested it with the almost dead cells it worked, I then replaced the Batteries with a pair of freshly charged Sanyo 2500 cells. Then turned the light back on and Wow! it made a huge difference, it now focuses better, and it is about 50% brighter than it was before the disk was removed, maybe it depends on weather its the
older type M@G or a newer type, mine was the newer type in the presentation case. I also noticed that the dropin is quite thick limiting the amount of travel for the head,
It made a great difference one the plastic disc was removed.