Arc LS + Seoul P4?

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
It's finally time for me to mod some of my LS's and I'm considering putting a P4 in one. My question is...has anyone tried this yet? I've not found any references to such a project, but sometimes the search only goes so far. :)

- Chris

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I just received mine from Milky yesterday. Nice light. It has the Mcr18 reflector and he took about 3 hundreths off the reflector.

Driven at 520ma it is noticably brighter than my LS with a TXOH driven a 667 ma.
Its a great mod. I have two more I will have done.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
That's good news and along the lines of what I was planning -- or hoping would work. What did Milky use as a heat sink? I'll probably try the Canadian penny method, but perhaps there's more tricks for the LS...

- Chris

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Gimpy00Wang said:
...I'll probably try the Canadian penny method, but perhaps there's more tricks for the LS...

- Chris

You don't have to use a 1942-1981 Canadian penny (which is 98% copper) if you're in the US. 1962-1982 US pennies (95% copper) will also work.

Interesting idea about using the Seoul P4. It didn't even cross my mind. I was going to use the PitA to solder to XR-Es for my LS mods since I already bought the XR-Es. Maybe I should get a couple Seoul P4s and mount those onto the stock LS board, after isolating the slug of course. Hmmm....

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
OK...now a silly question. I've got the LS I'm working on apart except for the optic & retainer. I used snap ring pliers to remove the LE retainer (which worked well), but they won't work for the optic retainer as they're too bulky. What's everyone else using for the optic retainer? Longer snap ring pliers? Something else? My "plan B" is to file down the tips of an extra set of small/long needle nose pliers, but I'm sure there's a better option... :)

- Chris

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Nevermind. :) I found another useful thread (noted below) referencing this:

ringext.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/62267

- Chris

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just use a small screwdriver and twist the optic-ring. It's not glued-in and will twist out without too much force...

BTW, this mod was been explained on tuesday already here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1807275&postcount=230

Yuo should get excellent results too. Like I explained in the thread, you MUST isolate the slug from the heatsink with AA-Epoxy (NOT Grease !). Otherwise, you don't know what will go :poof:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
On your next trip to the Hardware-store, try to find one of these.
(Red and blue ones in pic are best).
You have more use hor these with other tasks also and you don't
risk shaving the threads. These are just needle-nose pliers. You can also
file/sand the tips of the wound so they sit better in these retaining-rings.
Good luck with (all) your mods !

IMG_5039c2_resize.jpg