Acebeam        
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: What was your first loved flashlight?

Default Re: What was your first loved flashlight?

Maglite AA incandescent. I remember my niteeyes LED upgrade and it blew my mind. I carried that thing around with me everywhere in the Maglite nylon carry pouch as a kid. Pro tip: a hair tie wrapped around the carry pouch two or three times kept enough tension on it so the light didn't fall out! That was my primary light until I bought a Surefire E2D LED and I still carry that 120 lumen light around.

Surefire M2 centurion incan. My flashaolism begin there. Today it is in my surefire collection.
    (T)

As a kid...any that I could get my hands on. I loved them all.
    As a young adult...The Maglite
    Nowadays...Thrunite TN4A

Flashaholic*

Incan Maglite.

I loved how rugged and robust it felt. It also taught me about how vulnerable incan bulbs can be, how annoying it is to have to carry dead weight an entire trip, and the importance of backups and spares. :-p

A 1watt led flashlight i bought while visiting a friend in the US. Before that, I only had some incans, but the led flashlight really opened my eyes so to say. I can't remember the name anymore.

Okluma Copper Dc1. hope to get one real soon!!!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by terjee View Post
    Incan Maglite.

I loved how rugged and robust it felt. It also taught me about how vulnerable incan bulbs can be, how annoying it is to have to carry dead weight an entire trip, and the importance of backups and spares. :-p
    I practiced changing the bulb from the spare in the tailcap in the dark. I always had a spare and batteries hanging around.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    I practiced changing the bulb from the spare in the tailcap in the dark. I always had a spare and batteries hanging around.
    As did I. Trouble where these bulbs, is that it turns out the spare could break before the one in use. Not sure if it was manufacturing defect or just rough handling, but mechanical stress seems to be as much a source of failure as them simply being spent. I remember 35mm film canister with padding was a good solution to carrying a spare outside of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Here's a quiz for you all. Back in the late 1960s I had a palm-sized, single bulb incandescent that was shaped kind of like a squished oval in cross-section and had a battery pack that I remember unplugging from the head and plugging into a 120v AC outlet to recharge. Does anyone remember a light like that?
    Eveready Captain?
    Last edited by Flyhalf; 03-10-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: quote not attached

Quote Originally Posted by OCEANBEAMER View Post
    Well the year was 1969.. I a 20 year old wounded Marine... was on a medical evac flight from danang,south vietnam(at the time) the plane was dark and I asked one of the nurses for a flashlight to read a letter from home..I must be getting older because I remember far more about the flashlight than the nurse....it was a sanyo rec argeable light that was very popular with pilots&stues for many years,,,white with over&under white&red lenses,the chargeing plug folded out of the rear of the light and was very compact.I owned 4 or 5 for years afterward. It was called the sanyo cadnica.
    Dear Oceanbeamer,
    The Sanyo Cadnica Lite is what brought me to this forum because of my Dad. If you were you flown out MEDEVAC from Da Nang in 69 on a 141, my Dad might have been the navigator. I still know some of the nurses Dad flew with and he puts them somewhere between Saints and Angels. FYI - I'm married to a nurse.

Respectfully,
    Flyhalf

Good bump.
    John 3:16

A 2 million candlepower spotlight using a 6V lantern battery. I couldn’t believe I could light things up half a block away. Now I have a BLF GT.

Maglite 4D

Mine was one of them old red waterproof lights I think made by energizer. 2D. I remember being really sick when I was like 10 and ask my dad to get it for me.we didn’t have much money but he got it for me. Used it for about a week while I was stuck in bed sick. No clue whatever became of it. This was back in 75 or so.guess I have always been into flashlights.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic*

I thought I was hot stuff walking around my yard with one of these hunting night crawlers. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1552247911.976750.jpg
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    I thought I was hot stuff walking around my yard with one of these hunting night crawlers.
    You were right, Hot Stuff. That's a great light.

~ cG
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    You were right, Hot Stuff. That's a great light.

~ cG
    Still have it. Still works! Need to throw a Yuji in there haha
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic

Either an old Mini-Mag or my ARC AAA

For me it was one of these things:
    http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Ever...yard-4AA-1995&

It had an incredibly laser-like throw and could hit trees 300 yards away. The lantern mode was very useful.

I'd love to have one again.
    17 is 11, 11 is 6, 6 is 3 and 3 is none. Also it's good to have some backups.

300 yards?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Incan Mag Solitaire purchased in the early 90s.

The solid anodized aluminum body just oozed a feeling of quality that lights prior to Maglight didn't have.

Unfortunately, while the Maglight looked great (until the Type II anodizing wore off), and felt great in the pocket or hand. The actual light output left a lot to be desired.

It had a zoom head with 2 beam patterns: "Donut Mode" and "Spot Mode". Donut mode projected a wide extremely dim donut with an enormous hole in the center. It was useless. Spot mode was useful, but the output was so dim it was only good for about 10' or so. Main use was to find the keyhole for a door when you're standing right in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Incan Mag Solitaire purchased in the early 90s.

The solid anodized aluminum body just oozed a feeling of quality that lights prior to Maglight didn't have.

Unfortunately, while the Maglight looked great (until the Type II anodizing wore off), and felt great in the pocket or hand. The actual light output left a lot to be desired.

It had a zoom head with 2 beam patterns: "Donut Mode" and "Spot Mode". Donut mode projected a wide extremely dim donut with an enormous hole in the center. It was useless. Spot mode was useful, but the output was so dim it was only good for about 10' or so. Main use was to find the keyhole for a door when you're standing right in front of it.
    It's funny to think that I carried a Solitaire and only a Solitaire for a good 20 years, using it working construction, as well as at home. I got laughed at a lot, but the same people that laughed were always borrowing it. Those old incan Solitaires were about as bright as a match, and that's with new batteries, lol.

Surefire 6P. That's the one that started me on my flashlight hobby/journey.

Unenlightened

Mine was a used Fulton MX 991/U.
    Great Flashlight 30 years ago...now i prefer my zebralight
    SC64w hi...its more edc-able and got. some extra lumen compared
    to the Fulton!

I bought a Fenix E21 as a teenager for running at night. It blew me away that a light that was so affordable was so much better than other cheap lights. I always had that light with me as it showed me how useful a nice flashlight is.

This was my first ever torch, I was about 4 years old and remember it well! I had endless fun with it and really miss it (I`m still on the hunt for another).

Surefire 6px pro . Put me on the flashlight path for sure
    ..Isaiah 54:17...

Unenlightened

1980s 2aa Duracell Durabeam

My mother bought it for me to take on a Boy Scout camping trip and I used it for years. Tough, lightweight, compact, and pretty bright for the time IIRC.

Arc AAA

Default What was your first loved flashlight?

Mini maglite of course! Even bought the accessory kit so I could use the red and amber lenses to preserve my night vision since that xenon bulb was so bright

My maglite 3D got me into “modding” with the magnum star bulb and a UCL lens!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718 LastLast