Why flashlights and why CPF?

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Im just curious as to what reasons everyone here collects flashlights. Also the reasons everyone comes to CPF.

I started this because i am an outdoorsman. I needed a one or two good quality lights for when im camping, hikng, etc. Well i bought a C3 and the a E1L and i was hooked. I think i was hooked because i realized the value of EDCing a light everyday. Most the lights i own are capable of being EDCd.

The reason i come to CPF is because of the comminity sense that is here. Everyone is very helpful and most truly care. I love it because anytime someone new post everyone else makes sure they feel welcomed here. There is never the feeling of, "oh great another newb." Its more the feeling that some else is here to help contribute to the growth of our community.

Theres my reasons, so lets here yours!:grin2:

Mad1

Enlightened
Hmm an interesting topic.

I started off like you, I love the outdoors, walking, biking etc...

I started off with a Mag AA then i got a Mag 2D (now a ROP :D) But I wanted more than the 2D would output. So I googled and found this place and heared about the Surefire G2 on here.

Thats about it, I've been an addict ever since. :D

I've stuck around pretty much the same again for the community and it's also sparked (excuse the pun) my interest in electronics.

My area of expertise is computing so it's only natural i take an interest in flashlights (electronics)

Duluth Diesel

Newly Enlightened
I have always loved lights. I remember when I was a kid I had this 2AA maglite. I was at the gym about to hit the shower and the power went out. I was the only guy there with a light. I put the Maglite in candle mode and hit the shower anyway while everyone else cleared out of the building. LOL That was a long time ago.

With my work now, I get into lots of vacant, comdemmed buildings doing inspections. Some are in urban areas with druggies squatting in there, while others are out in the middle of nowhere, miles from cell signal, people, or help. I EDC a lot of things, including my 6P and P1. My 6P is what really kicked me into high-end lights, and I used them every day and won't leave home without them.

Great forum here! I'm newer to the online end of flasholism, and I appreciate the friendly atmosphere.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I always had a fashination for flashlights. One day I decided that I wanted something special, so I started doing some thin research and I found out about some quality brands. Eventually I found this forum and I've never looked back. I'm now a flashaholic, and I come here every day to look at lights, see whats new and to just gererally be around to recieve more knowledge or share what I know so far with others.

My initial impression of CPF was that it was very different from every other forum I've come across. Not only because everyone was wickedly adicted to lights, but because the athmosphere was outstanding. Now, some time later, I still think this is the best forum there is, discussing the best subject.

carrot

Flashaholic
I like flashlights because being able to dispel the dark is an incredibly useful ability. They also have the "incredibly cool gadget" factor to me without being constantly obsoleted and they also tend to be much more rugged than your usual "gadget."

As for CPF, I am here because no one else understands the love of flashlights like we do, and there is an incredible sense of community where everyone tries to help each other. But I do have my problems with CPF, which I'll leave out here.

By the way, thanks, redskins38.

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
I have worked on and repaired equipment/machinery all of my adult life. I have found that the job is easier if the tool is the best. That is why I first bought a SF 6P about 15 yrs. ago. I continue to 'collect' what I feel is the best tool for the job no matter what it is. It is amazing to me that when someone realizes all of the tools, equipment supplies that I have and they look at me kinda funny and then 5 minutes later are telling me and everyone else that they are coming to my house when a disaster strikes.

I enjoy the like mindedness (is that a word?) at CPF about flashlights and other passions that prevail.

I have to go sort my ammo, verify my guns are clean, make sure my knives are sharp, sort my tool box and rotate my gasoline store.

Oh yeah; I need so make sure the flashlights have fresh batteries and are where they should be. :grin2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Always had a few lights laying around and found it hard to resist something different, especially if it was small and cheap, even though I've never had special needs for lights. For some strange reason I just like them. Finding CPF and the great review sites was kind of a revelation. Wow, there are actually other folks like me. I've continued to hang out here because it feels like home.

Geoff

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
As for CPF, I am here because no one else understands the love of flashlights like we do, and there is an incredible sense of community where everyone tries to help each other.

Just as carrot said and additionally, there is an incredible amount of knowledgeable people here, it's a daily learning and growing process. Besides, I can't use my guns in the house, but I can use my flashlights.
buttrock.gif
Also their are flashlights which I never considered to have much of a purpose, like the Surefire A2. Boy was I ever wrong! It was people such as carrot (and others) who changed my thinking. Also, I would have never known about the HDS/EDC series of lights if not for CPF.

The A2 and EDC, just to name a few, have been incorporated into my everyday life style in a positive way and that's important to me.

Bob

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I started by looking at a good quality flashlight and reviews. Then I came across this forum and I was hooked. I've read the forum for a while before deciding to join. Only have a few flashlights (less then 5) but that will change as time goes by.

I have to say, people here are a lot friendlier then other forums I've seen. The one thing that everyone has in common is the love for flashlight and that is what I think keeps the community together.

Can't wait for the next generation of flashlights to come.

Esthan

Enlightened
I'm here because of 2 factors:
1. Wisdom of the CPF'ers
2. their sense of humor.

You won't find it elsewhere.

This might sound ridiculous here but I'm not collecting flashlights.
The only one I have is my trusted HDS B42 and I'm resisting
the urge to get some more :touche:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Esthan said:
I'm here because of 2 factors:
1. Wisdom of the CPF'ers
2. their sense of humor.

You won't find it elsewhere.

This might sound ridiculous here but I'm not collecting flashlights.
The only one I have is my trusted HDS B42 and I'm resisting
the urge to get some more :touche:

You must get more! Give in to the light side.

I loved flashlights since I was 4. I had a collection going since I was 5. It was natural that I would eventually find this place. So far my special HDS EDC B42 is my favourite light and pretty much stops me from buying more lights. However it doesn't stop me from customizing it with clips, bezels, etc.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Partly due to work and partly due to being a gadget freak. I am an engineer by trade and major park of my works is on test and comissioning of Instrumentations and system panels. So I found that quality illumination tools are required for such works.
I'm glad to have found this site as it has given me a vast insight to what the market has to offer. Before this only quality lite I know off would be from Maglite. I think mixing around with other people with the same common interest is rewarding where we can exchange ideas/knowledge for the general benefit.......

Esthan

Enlightened
tebore said:
You must get more! Give in to the light side.

I loved flashlights since I was 4. I had a collection going since I was 5. It was natural that I would eventually find this place. So far my special HDS EDC B42 is my favourite light and pretty much stops me from buying more lights. However it doesn't stop me from customizing it with clips, bezels, etc.

But what for ? My B42 is programmable (sort of :]), long lasting and small.
And ever since I attached a Glo Toob on my dogs collar a feel no need
to get a thrower :]

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Esthan said:
But what for ? My B42 is programmable (sort of :]), long lasting and small.
And ever since I attached a Glo Toob on my dogs collar a feel no need
to get a thrower :]

What you need is a U42 or U60 so your hands don't tire as quickly when you're playing with it.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Why flashlights is something almost innate. Toys that lit up or glowed in the dark, followed by various flashlights of the day go back to the beginning memories. Being afraid of the dark at one point in childhood, flashlights were a means to alay that fear.

In later years I was EDCing when I didn't know what that meant. No longer afraid of the dark, it was just a utility thing. Seeing is good, no?

A few years ago my job called for the use of flashlights quite often, and at all hours plus various lighting conditions. Somewhere online was an ad for a Surefire U2. The idea that one light could be bright and dim was intriguing and fit some of my work needs. The price point of the U2 was beyond my comprehension. Already having LED lights, but nothing Luxeon, I researched through the Net and went with an Inova T4. CPF turned up while researching that product.

As the fever of flashaholism burned in my veins, this huge forum about lights was a site visited more and more often. The members were very courteous compared to many sites where asbetos suits and flamethrowers were standard issue. Some had lights in their siglines, and that alone was a springboard to research them. Few of those around me understood my love of lights, and here was a place with many individuals far more advanced then I'll ever be. So many things never dreamed of were reality: modders and reviewers with charts and runtime graphs, custom flashlight makers, etc. This is a center for them. Even one of my other hobbies, night vision equipment, has a section here.

After a while, my price point changed, and I went hog wild. An HDS became my EDC. That U2 was on my belt holster. They made the lighting part of the job much better. Outdated or not, they still serve well. A grand collection followed, with some B/S/T action bringing diversity. Hang on to your wallet, indeed. :grin2:

I still come here often, though I've not purchased a light in a year or so. The cutting edge knowledge, and even off topic stuff is quite informative. I try to share my personal experiences with the lights, even though it's not reviewer quality. The end user aspect of others was quite helpful on more that one occasion. Advice in the off topic section also came in handy.

One need not be a techie or a doer, maker or modder, big spender or frugal, user or collector - just two basic things: Must love lights and be polite. That's what makes it a great place!

Last edited:

Arcoholic

Enlightened
I think i was alway fascinated with flashlights but the first crazy purchase was a 6p which in 91 or 92 was super expensive in Germany. But this light moved with me around the globe and up until a few years ago it was the brightest small light you could get. Beeing a gadget freak does not help the situation and when i found CPF it just got crazy, i always lurked around the forum when it was only 300-400 members until i finaly registered.
I guess i do not like the dark LOL and i like to be prepared.

cutlerylover

Banned
I am a die hard knife guy, always have been, but I also have an unhealthy obssesion for Zippos...anyway on the knife forums every now and then someone will be selling or trading or even just talking about a high powered flashlight...for years I just blew it off and thouhgt thats cool but I was just not too interested, well one day not too long ago I saw a link for CPF...I checked it out and I was amazed by the knowledge over here and how many really cool (yet very usefull) lights there are out there, so now Im hooked! I have no "REAL" use for a flashlight, I can gte by just fine without them like I always have...but they just really interest me now, and they do have a cool "show off" gadget factor...I love so many thigns but thank god have not really gotten hooked on them like knives, zippos, and now flashlights, some of these thigns include nice pens, guns, watches...I can hardly afford my knife addiction, never mind flashlights and zippos waiting to get some attention...If I get into anything else I will have to enjoy them while living on the street! lol...

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I have always been fond of flashlights, but my flashaholism kind of bloomed about a year ago. I had made a little extra money and bought a pair of hiking boots, after that I still had some cash left and decided to upgrade some of my EDC items. First of all my cheapie multitool was replaced with a Leatherman Charge Ti, then I started looking for something to replace the fauxton on my keyring.
In the local shops here there are 3 choices for a keychain light: Photon, Fauxton and Mag Solitaire. So I turned to the internet. I knew I wanted something LED and not powered by a buttoncell, so after googling for my criteria I found CPF, where 4sevens was selling the Fenix L1P. So I joined CPF and got sucked in. The flashaholic in me woke up from it's sleep.
CPF really feels like a sort of home to me, and the people here are like one big family, always ready to help others, with advice and more. I'm proud to be a part of that family.

Latest posts