bikeless?

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another "I am curious" thread. Anyone here ride a motorcycle and feel like posting what they ride? I'll go first.

Stingray - Suzuki SV650

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't suppose my Intense M1 mountain bike counts, just because it has a Brent Foes F1 fork?
wink.gif

logical

Newly Enlightened
It's unfortunately buried in the corner of the garage right now sice it's been between about 5 and 30 degrees F here in Michigan for about a month. Shouldn't we also be saying what flashlights ride along????????? there's an E1-HA w/KL1 in the tool kit.

243PA060003-med.JPG

And one for fun midway through installing new handlebars with the wires internal...which due to harley's space age design requires you to drain and remove the fuel tank to get at the wire connectors,,,,

243P5110007.JPG

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Binky, anything with a motor counts
smile.gif

Logical, ok, you asked for it.

Mine has a Scorpion under the seat and a UKE2AAA and ArcAAA in the first aid kit. It also has a PIAA Extreme white H4 headlight bulb and two 55W driving lights, a license plate frame with upper and lower dual intensity red LED bars for running and brake lights and left and right dual intensity amber LED bars for brake and turn signal. I also wired in a priority lights module that allows the rear turn signals to act as running and brake lights as well. The stock tail/brake light bulbs have been replaced with Kisan integrated modulating bulbs and the headlight has a Signal Dynamics headlight modulator wired in with dual settings.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
My trusty steed all year round is a 22 year old Honda Super Dream. For its age, the frame is still solid, although I'm suffering a few problems with the Advance-Retard. Its not advancing properly until I've done about 6 or 7 miles, and lacks power whilst it is in this condition. Once warmed up though she'll motor along nicely and is a deceptively comfortable machine to ride.

avusblue

Enlightened
Well, I've owned seven different motorcycles over the years:

Late '70s Yamaha 180 dirt bike (yellow)
81 Kawasaki KZ440 (black)
85 Honda 700 Nighthawk (blue)
84 Honda V65 Magna (black)
82 Yamaha 550 Seca (red)
89 Yamaha V-Max (gray)
96 Yamaha Seca II 600 (red)

Plus the following oddities:

Mid to late '70's Motobecane Mobylette 50cc mopeds (one blue, one red)
84 Honda 125cc Elite scooter
2002 Yamaha Zuma scooter

But alas, as of now, I have no motorized two wheelers.
bluesigh.gif
But I'm looking at the "Bajaj" line of 150cc scooters. Cool retro styling, geared 4 speed tranny and manual clutch, lots of accessories / customization options. Fun!

Ride safe . . .

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by logical:
Apparently it's just you and I Stingray.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not so fast. I currently have a 1992 Yamaha TDM 850. In case your not familiar with the bike, it looks similar to this one [only better!!
grin.gif
]:

fca58632.jpg

It has 10-valve parallel twin cylinder engine with a 360 crankshaft and twin counter balancers. After fitting an internally baffled, stainless steel "Super Trapp" exhaust system, rejetting the carbs and fitting a "K&N" air filter, I had it dynoed. The results were 72 ft./lbs. of torque @ 4,000 rpm, that's 10 ft./lbs. more than a Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster!
icon14.gif
Not only that, the power band extends from 2,000 rpm to the 8,500 rpm redline!
Currently, the bike is shod with "Michelin" Macadam 90s, one amber headlight [in addition to one white headlight, for greater visibility], custom stainless steel brackets for soft saddle bags [keeps them off the rear tire], stock saddle [not great but the "Corbin" I had, broke down in less than 2 years. I weigh 160 lbs. so I know its not that!] and a host of other refinements too numerous to list here.
Overall, I've been pretty happy with "Molly" [Good, dependable Irish name. I used to call it "Marvin the Martian", you can see why.], but that doesn't keep me from having a "wish list". Those bikes are as follows:

Aprilia Futura

BMW R1100S

Buell Lightning XB9S

KTM 950S Adventurer

In no way does this short list contain all the all the custom-built bikes that I have in mind. With that thought, I should end this particular post because I can go on about this subject as extensively as darell can go on about EVs.
grin.gif

Later,
Dan

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by avusblue:
Well, I've owned seven different motorcycles over the years:

Late '70s Yamaha 180 dirt bike (yellow)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had a '69 Yamaha 180 two stroke street twin in 1971. It was a great bike for a 15 yr old back then, beat all the CB175's and some of the CB350's.

I also had '63 Harley Electra Glide/Duo Glide hybrid that was a cool bike too.

This current SV650 I have is one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. If you ever get a chance to ride one, you won't regret it.

leddite

Enlightened
i have a honda CB750 1995 and it has really nice and bright flashing rear brake light leds on either side of the stock taillight. they pulse when i'm at a stop. it seems to keep the nasty car people 15 or more feet further back from my tail, which is the point. they NOTICE that.

forget loud pipes, bright lights!

LED-FX

Enlightened
For summer fun only nowadays,I have a lovingly polished Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit, unfaired version.Another month or so and it might have reached riding temperature here in the flippin` chilly north :)

Having spent several years riding through winter, kinda value the heater, the sounds and the fact you can`t fall off four wheels...

Adam

D

**DONOTDELETE**

when I was 18 I rode a BMW R69US, Earls forks, touring tank, and seat...factory red.
cool.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's rained the last two days here, so I haven't been inclined to ride.

I ride a 1985 BMW K100 RS with 94,000+ miles on it. (How many of your bikes will live that long?) http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/gb/en/index.html drill down through history in the Fascination column

My previous bike was a 1966 BMW R50. drill down in the same Link

My first bike was a 1964 Honda 150 that I traded up for the R50 in 1966. The Honda couldn't do more than 45 mph when going into a 15 or 20 mph headwind.

Back in the 60's I really wanted a Norton Atlas or a Triumph Bonneville, but practicality caused me to opt for a bike with brakes that were actually reputed to work half as well as automotive brakes.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted the Led:

The entire time I had the R50 (purchased used less than 12-months old for $700 or so as I recall) I regretted that I couldn't afford a R69S.

That was a lot of money considering that I bought a new 1968 Camaro convertible for around $2,900 after I graduated from college and had a job.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Still have a Yamaha 20 valve XJ Maxim-X that I can't force myself to part with, even though I haven't been able to ride for about 5 years because of back problems. There should be a CZ motocrosser and Bultaco Sherpa T trials bike in the the back of the garage somewhere, but I haven't even seen them for years. When I was younger, in no particular order:

Indian, with sidecar (later replaced with a bathtub)
BMWs, including an R69S
Royal Enfield Interceptor
Norton Dunstall Domisomething and Featherbead ES2
JAP Speedway
Matchless (G11 or G50?)
Triumphs, including a TT
BSAs, including a 441 Victor
Suzikis, including one I ran at Bonneville (in 1969 I think).
Harleys
More that I can't think of now.

John

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Christoph:

I salute your mileage.

jmm:

I wonder how many bikes you owned in the aggregate, how many you owned contemporaneously, and how long you typically keep a bike.

I'd love to see an Indian with a bathtub sidecar. The last guy I knew who drove an Indian loved to show a picture of it's thrown piston that stuck in the frame below his family jewels.

He liked to live on the edge. Last I heard of him he published his version of the great American picture book in the early 1970's. The book's theme was riding the rails jumping freight trains and mingling with the dying breed of hobos on trains and in hobo jungles. The book took a long time to complete -- in part because he was twice mugged and relieved of his camera and film.