RJR Sending Cigs To Iraq

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
CBS is reporting that R. J. Reynolds knowingly sends billions of cigarettes to Iraq, in violation of the Federal trade ban.

They are made in Puerto Rico then shipped to Cypress, Lebanon, Turkey then trucked to Iraq.

These are the same guys who didn't know that cigarettes can kill when they were summoned to testify before Congress.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yeah, good idea! Let's triple the shipments!

Seriously, all I know is what I see/hear/read in the news. I "hear" what is being said to us and definitely have strong issues with the Iraqi government.

However, I can't help but wonder what the "pulse" of the real people is. Many of them are afraid to "speak out against" their leaders for fear of death to their families, friends, as well as their own. If that government were to be taken away, what would they say?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point is that these tobaccoists cannot be trusted. The health of the Iraqi people is not my concern, but the fact that RJR is illegally profiting from their activities in violation of Federal law is very distressing, especially knowing that nothing but fines will be imposed on them.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize that there was a law against selling consumer goods to Iraq, only against selling military or dual-use technology.

The sanctions are to prevent us from BUYING Iraqui products (Oil, camel dung fertilizer etc.) to fund saddam's weapons programs.

I could be wrong about this, but that's what I thought.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm not "current" on the specifics of the sanctions either, however IF any company is violating those laws (without the knowledge of our U.S. government - there may be details that "allow" this?), then as far as I'm concerned...they should be prosecuted and dealt with accordingly!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Marty you think the tabacco companies are bad, do some research into the pharmaceutical speed industry in the 80's --lots of millionaires made there too, over lots of insane and dead bodies..can't sell it here? make it in Mexico, not your fault if most of ends up in the USA..
added;
...coughcoughPENNWALTcoughcoughIONAMIN...