100 WATT Edison Opto LED

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
How about regular light bulbs with these guys. a good diffuser/reflector combination would do the trick. Imagine the power you could save...

deuscoup

Newly Enlightened
I imagine this has been addressed before, but I wouldn't have a clue how to search for it.

Could the LED be shaped in the form factor of a reflector?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDoutlet said:
100 watt*60 lumens/watt = 6000 lumens.

That is nearly the output of a 300 watt incan bulb. You could use these for household lighting? They seem to have skipped a few details like what input it wants, what $ they want, and if it can be cooled passively or if it needs its own fan.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the Vf is like 120v, which will make it hard to put it in a portable device without some major boosting. But if it works out in a Thor or similar light, they might be a good replacement for HIDs! Throw will almost definitely lose out to the HIDs but it'll be great for an area flood light.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
deuscoup said:
I imagine this has been addressed before, but I wouldn't have a clue how to search for it.

Could the LED be shaped in the form factor of a reflector?

Not sure what you mean here but reflectors like point sources since there is only one point where, in theory, everything focuses. Incans tend to have a small area so more of the light will be in the best area. Big LED big area and much less is focused properly.

Sooner or later the rest of the world will discover the problem of a large light source was solved a long time ago when Fresnel designed his lens.
Tekna may be the only light I'm aware of using a Fresnel lens today and they designed it for a smaller area. However some of the lenses designed for the cree might be.

If you've seen the thread where they use an aspheric lens to throw a huge distance and realize that the Fresnel is, for all practical purposes really an aspheric lens with the top cut off and a little math thrown in.

deuscoup

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what you mean here but reflectors like point sources since there is only one point where, in theory, everything focuses. Incans tend to have a small area so more of the light will be in the best area. Big LED big area and much less is focused properly.

Sooner or later the rest of the world will discover the problem of a large light source was solved a long time ago when Fresnel designed his lens.
Tekna may be the only light I'm aware of using a Fresnel lens today and they designed it for a smaller area. However some of the lenses designed for the cree might be.

If you've seen the thread where they use an aspheric lens to throw a huge distance and realize that the Fresnel is, for all practical purposes really an aspheric lens with the top cut off and a little math thrown in.

Thank you for the explanation. I guess I have a misunderstanding of the mechanics of reflectors. I assumed that the beam could be shaped by making the led fit the dimentions of a reflector. I have a grasp of the "point" concept, and incorrectly assumed you could reverse engineer it (but upon thinking more about that, it would focus all the light inward, and not outward.)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about regular light bulbs with these guys. a good diffuser/reflector combination would do the trick. Imagine the power you could save...
Let's see... <checks package that CFL bulbs came in> hmm, about 60 lumens per watt, looks like energy savings by switching to that LED would be... <takes out calculator> ... zero! :D

Hehe, just teasing there. This big LED naturally would have the advantage of being able to be focused into a spotlight, being able to be switched on and off rapidly, and being dimmable without generating RF interference... three things that the screw-in CFLs don't have. Unfortunately I'm guessing this thing will come at the price of about 100 CFLs, so for the time being, it doesn't look this LED is ready to take over the house lighting market, but we are definitely getting closer. If we could combine the improvements in efficiency with these improvements in output power, and drop the price to where it will "pay for itself" in energy savings/maintenance cost over a comparable fluorescent system, we'll be there.

Last edited:

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez:Light efficacy of this:

60 lm/W divided by maximum possible efficacy for white LEDs (330 lm/W) is only 18 %

So only 18 W of electrical energy is radiated as a light, and other 82 W is a tremendous amount of HEAT! Can you imagine Pentium 4 cooling system in your flashlight?? I can't. It's sick...

So conclusion is: Big LED - Big Trouble.

Unless efficacy reach 80 % on this power levels...

Last edited:

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
Im sorry but i think this is about where it gets impractical. After you pass the 35 watt threshold, that arena belongs to HID.

A 50 watt HID lamp produces 5,300 lumens, and a 75 watt HID lamp produces 8,500 lumens while you don't have to worry about cooling.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
but other kinds of LED's can do much better than that for output. One has to wonder why these companies dont package an array of really good cutting edge LED's together into a big unit like that.

And where are the products based on the 50 watt package they say has been available for a year now?

There is either something very difficult about building something out of these or they are way more expensive than you'd expect.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xzn said:
Im sorry but i think this is about where it gets impractical. After you pass the 35 watt threshold, that arena belongs to HID.

A 50 watt HID lamp produces 5,300 lumens, and a 75 watt HID lamp produces 8,500 lumens while you don't have to worry about cooling.

I heard that about the PC replacing mainframes also.

The new Philips Lumileds give 502 Lumens at 8.3 watts.
I've got a nickel that says this will improve by years end.
So we have the choice between a light that is off or on after a few minutes, can't be dimmed, can't be dropped unless you are lucky, and has a relatively short bulb life but has a bit more light or one that can be turned on instantly, can be dimmed, can be dropped and has a longer bulb life.
I'd say the HID is the less practical even today especially if somebody splashes water on the lens.

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Does Edison's new K series high power LED use Cree die? It looks to have efficiencies close to the XRE in a package that looks similar to a luxeon. Has anyone seen one and how do they compare to Seoul's P4?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike Painter said:
I heard that about the PC replacing mainframes also.

The new Philips Lumileds give 502 Lumens at 8.3 watts.
I've got a nickel that says this will improve by years end.
So we have the choice between a light that is off or on after a few minutes, can't be dimmed, can't be dropped unless you are lucky, and has a relatively short bulb life but has a bit more light or one that can be turned on instantly, can be dimmed, can be dropped and has a longer bulb life.
I'd say the HID is the less practical even today especially if somebody splashes water on the lens.
Absolutely agreed for flashlight use -- I would already consider a multi-emitter LED light with a focusing lens before purchasing an HID even using today's LEDs. However, for fixed applicatoins, HID is still going to be the best for quite some time -- if you want over 150,000 lumens at once, you can do it from a 1500W HID lamp. For things like street lights, stadium lighting, and warehouse lighting, you generally turn a light on and leave it on, so warmup time isn't a problem. Also, there are plenty of ballasts that can dim HID bulbs for fixed applications, just none that I know of that can fit in a flashlight. The extended life of the LEDs will be an advantage though once they get ones that can run at that kind of output, but I suspect that is still a long way away.

Last edited:

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
30x30 mm - that's a honkin' big LED die. My retinas are quivering at the very thought. About 6000 lumens, eh? How does that compare to a 100 watt incandescent bulb?

{ EDIT - OK, so HID would still be better for efficiency, but this thing would allow one to make a torch to be feared }