Luxeon III TV1J to Cree XR-E MagLite LED swap! (LOT of pictures!)

Bandgap

Enlightened
Re: Luxeon III TV1J to Cree XR-E MagLite LED swap!

Nice method of raising the Cree at the same time as side-stepping the bottom contact 'problem'.

Steve

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah! :) Pre-1996 canadian pennies are made copper at 98%. I cut one the same exact dimension as the square under the Cree LED. I wanted to glue it there first but I had a comment from someone on #cpf who recommended me to solder it there for better thermal transfer. I then glued the entire unit on the heatsink. Quick, easy and really clean solution so solve thermal issues and short issues! :)

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you guys prefer pictures inside the post or it's OK like this?

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice if they're inside the thread, so you don't have to open all those different pages, but just scroll 1 page. Do resize them.

Nice mod. You said you "glued" them ? With AA-epoxy, right ?

Nice mod btw !

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the penny enough to raise it into focus? I know a stock o-sink isn't high enough.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Is the penny enough to raise it into focus? I know a stock o-sink isn't high enough.

Someone made a XR-E MagLite with the stock XR-E and by cutting enough the reflector the focus was right. I didn't want to push luck so I decided to use the coin to raise it. The focus is good and I can get a donut on each sides of the best focus point!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Since you get a donut on both sides, you know you've got it raised enough. Good to know all it takes is a penny to raise it enough! Thanks!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Cool! Since you get a donut on both sides, you know you've got it raised enough. Good to know all it takes is a penny to raise it enough! Thanks!

But be careful! I've heard that post 1942 american pennies are not of copper anymore! Here in Canada, pre 1996 pennies are made of copper and are still widely availables.