Frys trip...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Was in Frys today.

All those cool lights like X5, X1 Reflector, X0 reflector and NOT ENOUGH MONEY for any one of them.

I went specifically for a lamp module for a Pelican MightyLite 2AA. The one I already had has a REALLY nice beam. The new one ain't even in the same ballpark!

Man that place is like a toy store for a light/electronics nut!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their CS is some of the worst I've ever seen, but they have good prices and selection, so I go there anyway. You know how they ask you at the register if you found everything you were looking for? I recently told them I most definitely HADN'T, and I described my situation. The lady said "Oh, that's too bad." No joke.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
*LOL*

Frys tends to engender a love/hate relationship. I seldom spend less than 100 dollars when I visit a Frys. Even when I go there just to return a part, I spend 100 bucks.

I'll be running to Frys tomorrow to play. There goes another 100.

Daniel

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is nice to have a coffee shop inside the store so if your spouse gets tired of browsing he/she can sip coffee or soda pop while waiting for you.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The first time I walked into a Fry's I was floored. I'd never been in a store before where you could buy food, books, CDs, lights, an oscilloscope and a washing machine under the same roof! I think it was the test equipment that blew me away. When I think about it, there are very few stores where I can walk in and purchase big-name test gear right off the shelf from local stock.

It's pretty hard for me to pass through a Fry's without buying something. I think they should sell blindfolds also! :laughing:

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really have to go in knowing exactly what you want. As a previous poster mentioned, the help is almost useless.

The stores in Calif. all have a motif. For instance, the one next to the Burbank airport has a space alien decor with flying saucers.

The one in Woodland Hills has an Alice in Wonderland theme thru out.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one in Sunnyvale has an electronics motif, and some other one a few cities away has an Egyptian motif.

Knowing exactly what you want to buy beforehand is an excellent strategy, Marty, and one I try to adhere to. Also, walk really fast through the aisles to minimize temptation duration.

The positive part of the abysmal "service" is the great stories you get out of it. I have several entertaining anecdotes that span my years of being a Fry's customer.

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
The one in Wilsonville, OR has a "we paid Tandy too much for this building, so we're not spending a dime on redecorating" motif!

-=[ Grant ]=-

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
North Houston (I-45N at West Rd.) is in an "Oil Pumping" motif.

South Houston (I-45S at Clear Lake Blvd.) is "Space Camp"

I can't really recall a particular motif for (59S at Beltway 8)....

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a 3rd Fry's in Houston off of 59?
I somehow missed it.
I had been in that part of town many times and never knew it. :p

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
Marty Weiner said:
As a previous poster mentioned, the help is almost useless.
No. They ARE useless! Even the guys that are suppose to know what you are asking them. I asked them for a RCR123 and a charger and 3 of them! really 3 of them did not know what I was talking about. (I was in the right area. Batteries.) And I went over to camera area and they had no idea either. Just useless folks with white shirt and little clip on ties.
[/end rant]
Still like going there for browsing and getting stuff I don't need like flashlights and crap!:grin2::grin2::grin2:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The one in Fremont, Ca has a World Expo motif. There's a huge tesla coil in the middle of the floor. Hmmmm. I don;t remember seeing the tesla coil last tiem I was there. Was it removed?

The Brokaw road in San Jose, Ca has a south-american early civilization motif. Fake rock pilars and such.

The Concord, Ca store is pretty non-descript. It looks like the furniture store it used to be.

The old Sunnyvale, CA store was only 3 blocks from where I was raised. I used to play in an orchard there 45 years ago.

Daniel

drizzle

Enlightened
Man you guys are going to get me to part with more of my money. I visited the one in Renton (suburb of Seattle) very briefly when it opened but I couldn't stay long. All I looked at were the plasma and lcd tv's because that's what my friend was interested in. I just know that if I go there with enough time to look around I will spend way too much money.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
PhotonWrangler said:
The first time I walked into a Fry's I was floored. I'd never been in a store before where you could buy food, books, CDs, lights, an oscilloscope and a washing machine under the same roof!

Did you buy all of those? Man, you were on a roll
lolsign.gif

Kees