How do you disassemble a Vinet?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flushed with success at modding a couple of lights with a P4 emitter, I'd like to try it on my Fifthunit Vinet, but I don't know the best way to get it apart. Has anybody else done it, and could you pass along a couple of tips?

I'm able to unscrew the ring which holds the lens in -- the ring is about the last 1/2" of the light. Once that's off I don't see anything obvious holding the reflector in, but I'm not able to pry it out with an X-Acto knife under the rim.

It looks like the remaining part of the body is two pieces, with the joint being about 1/8" forward of the knurling. But it doesn't unscrew with quite a bit of force.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is one of the nicest little lights I've got. It should be pretty awesome with a P4.

c_c

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a soft optic/lens cleaner cloth and pressed with my finger against the inside of the reflector. Then I turned the flashlight while keeping light pressure on the reflector, causing my finger to apply pressure around the inside of the reflector. It skewed and became loose to remove.

The flashlight is accessable through the lens. I could not remove the head from the tailcap.

If I remember correctly the pill unscrews. But I did a lot of flashlights that day, I could be thinking of another. :grin2:

It IS pretty awesome with a P4. :rock:

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I won't be of much help....mine is the same way. I agree with you about it being a nice light. I absolutely LOVE mine! What a little pocket rocket. It barely weighs more than my Lumapower LM301 AA light, but has more power than my XTAR and Coast Lenser focusable (Hokus Focus). Lights up a room better than both of them and has great throw too. A little too fat for pants pocket carry, unless they're cargo pants, but definitely will be my EDC when I'm wearing a windbreaker or jacket. The Hemse incandescent rocks too, what a powerhouse! Very small too..unbelievable! Ok, I sound like a Dealextreme salesperson now. :laughing:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head of the Vinet unscrews from the body, but it is glued on so it takes alot of force to break it loose. If you can find a way to grip the body and the head safely then just twist it loose.

rolling

Enlightened
I bought my Vinet at ebay. I unscrewed the head(no glue) soldered out the Luxeon III, soldered on an SSC P4 U-Bin(thermal adhesive under the slug). Screwed the head back on and it was done. Throws the light now a lot further in a much narrow beam because of the different view angel of the P4.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm able to unscrew the ring which holds the lens in -- the ring is about the last 1/2" of the light. Once that's off I don't see anything obvious holding the reflector in, but I'm not able to pry it out with an X-Acto knife under the rim.
I was able to pry out the reflector using a 1.4mm flat-head electronics screwdriver wedged in between the old emitter dome, and the reflector.

I didn't have any Seoul stars, so I swapped in a Cree -- stock reflector didn't work, so I put my least scratched up "Elly" reflector in instead. This is now one of my brightest LED lights, and still has reasonable throw.

Also, the switch on mine was jamming up, I was about ready to throw the stupid tailcap away as it was stuck on. I took the tailcap apart as well, and dribbled a tiny bit of WD-40 into the switch it in a last ditch attempt to get it to work -- completely fixed the problem.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't able to get the head off, which is why I asked the question -- mine is really glued on. But I used EngrPaul's method successfully. Putting in a Seoul P4 and sanding the reflector a little resulted in 89% more total light and 78% more lux at one meter. I probably could have squeezed the lux improvement a little closer to the 89% lumen improvement figure by more work on the reflector, but it wasn't worth it. It's a very nice little light.

c_c

rolling

Enlightened
Does anyone know where i can buy replacement parts for this light? I scratched my lens(26.2x1.5mm), i would like a aluminium reflector like the first series has. I also would like a different tailcap that switches high-low-off(to read housenumbers on my part-time job) instead of high-off-low-off ,momentary would be nice too.

Last edited:

henry33

Newly Enlightened
You might just want to buy another one. I got mine a few months ago and it had the high-low-off switch. You may want to double check before ordering though because the price came down after I got mine when it turned into dealextreme.

I really love mine. I'm in real estate and I kinda blow other agents away with the light. Even surprised a few home inspectors when they pulled out their big old maglights. I've also go the Kenbar, Lill, Blimp, and Rebus plus a few other cheap LED lights. I also have a Fenix L2T, just not ready for the Cree version yet. The nice thing is that I think I'm going to give away the ones I don't like to clients as closing gifts. Still trying to

rolling

Enlightened
the vinet is driven just by a resistor and the battery. "-Regulation Circuit: 3.7V 700mA, DC-DC regulated output" for the spartanian.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need to revisit this topic. The new VINETs won't respond to the old technique I suggested.

luminata

Enlightened
the Spartanians have a plastic smooth reflector. I cant decide if I can get used to the Edison led yet. I have a feeling they glue the heads on these also like the Vinet also . Any one know of a reflector metal OP that will work in place of the smooth plastic ?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just completely destroyed a VINET taking it apart. I gave up on all non-destructive methods. Everything from strap wrenches to vice-grips on hard rubber to compressed air from inside the tube.

My goal at this point was to find out how to safely take it apart next time by investigating the innards.

There is so much hard brittle chalky threadlock holding the head on I had to move on from strap wrenches to vice grips before I could free it.

Another thing that happened is a screw head broke off of a star hold-down fastener.

Evidently there is no use trying to accessing the emitter from the bottom.

Once inside, I pushed out the reflector. It turns out it has a lip at the top that shoves into a step on the head. It seems to me the only thing you can wish for is a reflector that doesn't fit too tightly into the head.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
How NOT to disassemble a VINET :toilet: :broke: :mecry:

About the only thing salvageable is the reflector, which I will need for the next one in case I have to break the reflector to get it out.

IF ANYONE FEELS BAD FOR ME AND/OR APPRECIATES THIS INFORMATION, PLEASE PAYPAL ME A COUPLE BUCKS. :buddies:

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, I wonder if you could drill a couple of tiny holes, possibly angled, in the top of the reflector and use those to twist and/or pry it out? It looks like it's being held in only by friction.

Or maybe stick a couple of dental picks into the reflector itself on opposite sides near the top and use those to pry. That might be a little unsightly, but shouldn't affect the beam much.

The modified Vinet is a great little light.

c_c

Latest posts