Car crash... Feeling Lucky?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am! It could have been worse.

crash.jpg

This happened less than 3 hours ago - 5-5:30 PM EST as I was traveling to the gym to work out. Needless to say I didn't make it to the gym. I was stopped in a line of traffic when I heard and felt - SCREECH - BANG!

The car is (was) a 1993 Saturn SL1 - that's right, 10 years old - one owner - me. Almost feels like losing an old friend.

I'm pretty sure the insurance company will total it due to it's age and value... Luckily I seem to be OK - we'll see how I am in the morning...

The 18 yr old driver who hit my car was driving a "lifted" (jacked up suspension) Chevy 1500 full size pickup truck. My car was drivable - at least enough to get home - his wasn't. Tore up the front suspension and the front wheels were pointing in different directions... Had to be towed away. At least he had the presence of mind to turn the wheel before impact otherwise I'd probably be in the hospital - he was moving at a pretty good clip.

What a fun night!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to know you are ok. I can't imagine a world without thelightsite. GBU

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those plastic panels on the Saturn are easily replaced but the concealed damage is probably more extensive.

All of the wrecks that I've had involving "totals" were settled with me getting a settlement from the insurance company AND being allowed to keep the "total". I've fixed them and kept on driving for many months.

Marty

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's always wired to see damaged Saturns since (As demonstrated here) they don't bend they break. It's just wrong I tell you (To see a car with half a body panel missing, not the plastic panels which are great)

Monsters_Inc

Banned
How much is fair market value for a 93 Saturn (pre-wreck)?

"My car was drivable... his wasn't."
grin.gif

Hope you're not too shaken up by it all.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
glad to hear you're ok.

look on the bright side...you can get rid of that saturn!

bewshy

Newly Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong but my fiancees aunt has a saturn (within past 5 years) and aren't only the door panels and bumpers plastic.

Good to see your ok.

Yesterday here in Southern California (LA / OC area) we had about 1500 car accidents by 5-6pm.

eb

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with Saturn. I have one now. Dead reliable mechanically, but totally unexciting.

I live in a tough part of town and I know that my Saturn will never, ever be broken into. Just this morning I heard one of my neighbors complaining that the stereo in his Infinity was missing when he got into his SUV to go to work.

Oh well!

Marty

Greta

Flashaholic
Doug... hard to say if the insurance company will total or not. We just lost our 92 Saturn SL1 in December of 2001. One of Sheriff Joe's posse members hit my daughter one night in Phoenix. It had 116,000 miles on it. The entire front passenger quarter panel was taken out and the alignment was beyond repair. She was able to drive it away but had to get the tire pulled out in order to drive it 'til the insurance company took it for salvage. We still got $5,200 for it. We put that down on a 2002 Saturn VUE for her. She loves it!
icon14.gif

The moral of this story and yours too... you walked (drove) away and so did she. From a totalled vehicle. But the other guys didn't...
wink.gif

Buy Saturn!
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I believe all the body panels on Saturns, with possibly the exception of the hood and trunk lid, and probably the roof, are plastic. Look at the photo, that was not a door, but it sure didn't break the way metal would have.

My brother-in-laws sister had a Saturn stolen actually! It's old (Like 93). Insurance guy said (I haven't had time to look into it yet) that the older Saturns can be started with any double-cut Ford key so they're popular targets.
icon3.gif

Nothing wrong with "old" cars made in the 90s though IIHO. Heck the newest car around here is a 96! (That's 7 years old)

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are lucky that the fuel tank did not rapture. By the pics, it came pretty close...

Sorry for your car, glad that you are OK.

Do you guys want to see a pic of a bad one? Say 65mph+75mph head on?

Saaby

Flashaholic
iddibhai--

Doesn't it just kill you when somebody talks about how crapily cars are built today because they crumple up like tin cans in crashes unlike the cars of the 60s?

I'd rather my car crumple than me crumple!

iddibhai

Enlightened
heck yea! you'd be surprised how many people will use that line of reasoning, and adamantly at that.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
PICTURES ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT OF PA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH. DO NOT COPY, REPRODUCE, ETC...

fca48ade.jpg

fca48ac9.jpg

fd262192.jpg

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you are OK!

Back in '68 I was driving a fairly new Volkswagen fastback, a loaner while my car was in the shop.... I sneezed, hit a parked 63 Ford Galaxy at about 35 miles an hour, maybe slower...

It broke the taillight on the Ford.
That's all; Not a dent, not a chip of paint.
LITERALLY ripped the VW in half. The passenger side just wasn't there any more. Engine/transaxle and half the body laying behind the Galaxy, me and the other half of the car was in the ditch 20 feet away.

Not a scratch on me. Thank God I didn't have anyone in the car with me though.
-------------------------------------------------
Thanksgiving day 1990: Rolled and "flipped endo" a Suzuki Samurai at 70 MPH (hit the ONLY patch of ice on the road.). Broke the driver's side rear window, crunched in the corner of the roof by the rear rear door. Suzuk rolled back onto the wheels and I drove away.

Had a 70 pound rock drill and drill steels in the back. Lucky I didn't have that smash in my head or impale me.

Just goes to show you that God protects fools and drunkards. (And, no, I don't imbibe.)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, i've never seen a car attempt to use stilts before...

some of those crashes look like they might have been fairly bad!
shocked.gif