LED tactical light with the longest throw and tightest hotspot...

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
OK, sorry. I was after a LED light with the tightest possible hotspot and best throw, comparable if not equal to the throw of a Mag. Though it helps, brightness is not really an issue. Maximum distance viewing is.

paulr

Flashaholic
Is that a trick question? Actual tactical lights tend to have wide beams (think of most Surefires). Anyway, Mr Bulk's old Space Needle II (Luxeon V in a 2C Maglite) comes to mind for a narrow beam.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
I'm guessing that, by "tactical light," he means "tactical looking," with a non-reverse tail-cap clicky and the approximate size of a MiniMag, plus-or-minus.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you define "TACTICAL" for us? The term is so abused, it's lost its meaning.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Longest, tightest throw: Last year's Inova T-series with the TIROS lenses.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question about the Inova T-series, many people on CPF say that they are real long throwers, but when comparing throw numbers on www.flashlightreviews.com with other lights, they look pretty mediocer? T3 has the highest throw nr of the T-series, 2100(45.83), which is good but not THAT good and certainly not near a Maglite 3D (6185(78,65)). Is there something with the TIROS optics that you cant see in test that only shows up in real world use?

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Lobo,
I couldn't answer that as I do not have a quantitative answer. But, subjectively, the T-Series appear to have a better long range capability with the TIROS optics than my other LED lights. Keep in mind that the 3D is an incandescent light, which, up until TIROS and Cree technology has traditionally been a better thrower.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Just posted some comparisons between Reflector and TIROS. Interesting that Inova has given us the first chance to compare the SAME light (almost: the new LED is more efficient) with two completely different optics.

New T4 vs Old T4

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
My vote would be for one of the following:
- LED Logic Striker VG;
- Night-Ops Gladius;
- Goncz E3
as they are the ones that I have used and own.

The E3 seems to flood more, the VG has a long throw, and the Gladius seems to be a faster strobe.

Why not buy, and carry, all 3? :goodjob:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gladius is an excellent tactical light - made for tactical use and is by far the longest throwing LED light I've seen. I think the Striker VG may claim more throw but it does not have a tail switch and for some situations (like gun mounting) that would not work as well. Gladius has a very tight hot spot - don't own the Striker so I can't say. This of course may all change when Surefire comes out with some of the Cree lights but as of now I don't know of any good manufacturers that have a real tactical light out yet with the new Cree or Seoul P4's.

Last edited: