email impersonators

TOB9595

Enlightened
I know, you're all here because you thought I said female impersonators.
smile.gif

There's lots of scams on the web and they're getting much harder to discover. The proliferation of web hosting adds to this concern. I can set up web sites with forms that look like the original sites..paypal, aol, your isp, etc.
Here's a link to an article in pcworld that was "illuminating"
smile.gif

email impersonators

Just a heads up!!!!
Tom

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
God, there is SO much of this stuff. Day before yesterday I got one supposedly from Verisign / Network Solutions saying it was time for me to renew one of my domain names (which isn't really due until August 2004) They were using all of the Verisign / Netsol logos, and links that LOOKED like they went to the Network Solutions, and clicking on them took you to a website that was identical to Network Solutions domain name renewal page.

The email headers even seemed to come from the right place, although it bounced around through 5 email servers first. But the initial mail server was in Korea, and the spoofed website had a IP belonging to some Korean ISP.

I'm getting tired of this having to be on guard every time I turn on the computer, checking email headers and website IPs.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your mail client: If using Outlook Express, right click on the message "title" (usually in the upper pane) go down the popup menu list and click on "Properties", then click on the "Details" tab.
That will bring up the complete header, but if you go down and click on the "Message Source" button and maximize the resultant screen you will be able to see more detail in an easier to read format.

If using "Mailwasher" (which I highly recommend as a spam fighter / filter) just right click anywhere on the message line then click on the "View complete header" in the popup menu.

Other clients probably work somewhat similarly.

Then, if you want, you can get further information on IP's, website ownership etc. at http://www.samspade.org/

alberto

Enlightened
Silviron:

You may want to check this out again. Network Solutions IS sending out renewal notices (I received mine a couple of days ago as you did). I looked at everything closely, did the renewal, and then checked my WHOIS record and found the record updated with the new expiration date.

The only thing strange about yours is that your date is in 2004, which seems a little early to me. My date was August 2003.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I renewed that particular name for 2 years last August. You can pay for several years at a time, and when I have the cash I usually try to do that.

I own or manage enough domains that I get two or three legitimate renewals some months....

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I just got a msg from Paypal saying they have a new end user agreement thing that I have to log on and agree to... sh^t, I better go double check it's legit.
frown.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have had a smidgen of trouble having to do with Ebay/Paypal (same owner).

Right now my registration to Ebay is dead. I don't know about Paypal, guess I will check later.

(Edited to add)

I REALLY don't need Ebay... it is nice... you can find almost anything on there... but I'm paying off some pretty high credit card debt because of that damn site!!!!!

When I last used it, I only bought stuff I can get a money order to pay it with....

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that new PayPal agreement is legit.

I haven't read it yet though. I'm afraid I'll just get mad.

(Although the summary I read says that it is just a simplification of the previous one.... We'll see...)

I make it a rule to NEVER click on a link on a PayPal email though, even if I'm pretty sure it is legit. I always go there to my account and log in, then search for whatever the subject of the email is through my account interface. Same deal with any financial related email. May take a few extra moments, but it is lots safer.