Cree PR for XR-E qualified to 1 amp operation

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! I have been pushing 1 Amp to the Cree's already. These suckers get extremely bright!

I do know that I have compared a 4D mag with a UYAK K2 at 1.2 amps vs. a smaller light with a XR-E at 1.1. The Cree is really pouring out more light then the K2.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
Does that mean our cree lights are obselete? Did they improve the LED or did they revise their data sheet realizing that it can do 1A?

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
Cree said:
To make the XR-E LED even better, it is now qualified for extended performance in higher-power applications, such a portable lighting, where maximum light output is required," notes Norbert Hiller, Cree vice president and general manager for XLamp LEDs. "This qualification also applies to the millions of XR-E LEDs already in the field, so customers can be confident using their existing XR-E LEDs at the higher power levels."
:rock:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly not obsolete but there are some additional differences between the old and new datasheets. The new one shows the Vf vs I curve to be shifted slightly in the lower Vf direction [Good!] and the relative intensity at 1A vs 0.350A is now 220% vs the older 200% [Also Good!]
timcodes said:
Does that mean our cree lights are obselete? Did they improve the LED or did they revise their data sheet realizing that it can do 1A?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww man, does this mean that everybody who has waited for an AA cree for ages should wait for a little bit longer for a AA cree with the updated specs? :whistle:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
timcodes said:

from the pdf

"* These updates to the XLamp XR-E LED Characteristics are retroactive and apply to all XLamp XR-E LEDs produced by
Cree. The updates are a result of more extensive qualification testing and a larger production data set for determining
typical values."

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:
Aww man, does this mean that everybody who has waited for an AA cree for ages should wait for a little bit longer for a AA cree with the updated specs? :whistle:

Fenix-store is now showinf Feb5th instead of today as the arrival date. It would be FANTASTIC if turbo mode were now 1A, another 50lm never hurt anyone. :drool:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:

No, this just means that you can push them to 1A and they will happily throw more photons out :)

from the PR:

"The Cree XLamp XR-E LED is established as the industry's best-performing power LED in production. To make the XR-E LED even better, it is now qualified for extended performance in higher-power applications, such a portable lighting, where maximum light output is required," notes Norbert Hiller, Cree vice president and general manager for XLamp LEDs. "This qualification also applies to the millions of XR-E LEDs already in the field, so customers can be confident using their existing XR-E LEDs at the higher power levels."

Pablo

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
This is good news, but I measured my p1d-ce on one it draws 1.2 A on another it draws 1.1A (with higher lumens - overall output measured using my home made light box). This means, both are drawing too much for the LED unless of course their stated 1.0 A has a margin or error of 10-20%.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU said:
No, this just means that you can push them to 1A and they will happily throw more photons out :)

from the PR:

Pablo

I figured that out so much that the cree is still the same:grin2:, but how could I myself push it to 1A? Which kind of batteries? Tamper with the electrics? Please forgive my ignorance in electronics, really never got much of it even though I have studied the basic course in college lvl.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
timcodes said:
This is good news, but I measured my p1d-ce on one it draws 1.2 A on another it draws 1.1A (with higher lumens - overall output measured using my home made light box). This means, both are drawing too much for the LED unless of course their stated 1.0 A has a margin or error of 10-20%.

Hey, this might be a silly question, but did you measure this at the LED or elsewhere? The regulation circuitry is probably is 80-90% efficient.

Also, I'm surprised the P1D-CE is drawing that much and still "only" outputting around 110-135 lumens... Shouldn't it be closer to 200-250 (for a P3 bin) when drawing 1 Amp at around 3-3.5 volts?

Christexan

Enlightened
Looks like they've updated their sheets based on "real-world" experience over time, as has been covered extensively here now, these Cree's seem to "burn-in" and actually settle in a bit better in the Vf curve over time, hence better efficiency, and now that half a year has gone by, with many 1A applications without reports of much/any problems in the field (and one would assume they've had "production" models now running long-term testing in their labs), they've probably concluded that they can safely extend the originally conservative specs a bit further. Imagine a car maker building an engine, testing it some in the lab, and the material engineers say "we are 100% confident this engine can handle 6000RPM sustained"... so the initial spec will be 6k... but after 6 months of production and sample testing, at extended RPMs above 6000 (say 6200), and no red flags, they might bump the spec up to 6200. Maybe the engine/LED can run fine even higher than that, but for now, they manufacturer is expressing confidence up to that level.
Also remember that this is assuming all other parameters are within "design specs", the 1A operation still depends on proper heatsinking, etc, so if you have a .7A light that works fine, and bump it to 1A, it doesnt' mean you won't have a problem, because if you are at the limit at the 0.7A, you will still be "above spec" at 1A. A Corvette might be rated at a top-speed of 162MPH, but if you go 162MPH on Wal-Mart economy gas-miser touring tires on there, you are going to have serious problems.

Meduza

Enlightened
luminari said:
Hey, this might be a silly question, but did you measure this at the LED or elsewhere? The regulation circuitry is probably is 80-90% efficient.

Also, I'm surprised the P1D-CE is drawing that much and still "only" outputting around 110-135 lumens... Shouldn't it be closer to 200-250 (for a P3 bin) when drawing 1 Amp at around 3-3.5 volts?

If the circut is drawing 1.1A @ 3V, then it draws 3.3 Watts.
The circut is propably only about 85% effective,
so make that 0.85 * 3.3 = 2.8 Watts.
The led vF is propably around 3.6v, so 2.8 / 3.6 = 0.78 Amps
That means your XR-E in the P1D CE sees about 780ma,
According to the datasheet 780ma is about 190% relative brightness.
If your P1D CE has a P2 bin that has rated brightness ~70lm...
1.90 * 70 = 133lm

So that the P1D CE outputs about 135 lumen is
perfectly normal and exactly as it should be.

adnj

Enlightened
Christexan said:
Looks like they've updated their sheets based on "real-world" experience over time, as has been covered extensively here now, these Cree's seem to "burn-in"

I'm pretty sure that there results are based on burning alot of LEDs on a test bed under controlled parameters for more than a year.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Oops, I didn't realize the P1D-CE was only a P2 bin. Thanks for the clarification, Meduza.

EatSleepRunBike

Newly Enlightened
Meduza said:
If the circut is drawing 1.1A @ 3V, then it draws 3.3 Watts.
The circut is propably only about 85% effective,
so make that 0.85 * 3.3 = 2.8 Watts.
The led vF is propably around 3.6v, so 2.8 / 3.6 = 0.78 Amps
That means your XR-E in the P1D CE sees about 780ma,
According to the datasheet 780ma is about 190% relative brightness.
If your P1D CE has a P2 bin that has rated brightness ~70lm...
1.90 * 70 = 133lm

So that the P1D CE outputs about 135 lumen is
perfectly normal and exactly as it should be.

What Level of output(low,med,max) is that for?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured the package was robust enough. The Die is rated at 2amp, but not the package. That however has not stopped me from pushing it to 2 amps, on a big pentium heatsink for my spotlight!