Inova T4 New/Old Comparison (Beamshots)

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
There's been some talk recently about Inova's move to a reflector in the T4. Some have panned the move, believing the TIROS was the reason de etre of the T4. Others have praised the move as providing a better flood. Is it possible to have your cake and eat it too? I believe Inova has done this: the new T4 appears (according to my high-tech optical sensors [read: eyes]) to have all the throw of the previous generation with TIROS, as well as a very well proportioned flood.

Why a reflector? The T in T4 stands for Tactical. Tactical in an LE setting is usually defined as house clearing or some other type of CQB. While the TIROS light threw a lot of light and was very intense, it did not illuminate an entire room as well as the new model.

Disclaimer: I do not work for a flashlight company. I Grill (Tactically).

Here's the proof, with a couple goodies thrown in:

New T4 Packaging
1NewT4Box_Light.jpg

TIROS (left) vs Reflector (right)
9TIROS_Reflector.jpg

T4 Charging Contacts
6NewT4_Charging_Port_CU.jpg

New T4 Charging Cradle
7Cradle_CU.jpg

Reflector Closeup
4Reflector_CU.jpg

Inova TIROS T4
91OldT4.jpg

Inova Reflector T4
92NewT4.jpg

New T4 (left) vs Old T4 (right)
93NewT4_OldT4.jpg

Well, what about the inevitable comparison? The Stinger LED?
94StingerLED.jpg

Stinger LED (left) vs TIROS T4 (right)
96StingerLED_OldT4.jpg

Stinger LED (left) vs New T4 (right)
95StingerLED_NewT4.jpg

Okay, so maybe one more hallway shot for a bit of comparison? How about something old turned new again? I give you the Nitrolon Surefire 9P: The new G3.

Surefire G3:
97SurefireG3.jpg

Draw your own conclusions. But by my eye and my experience, I'm going with the New (reflector) T4 for now. The Stinger LED is an awesome light. Great beam, great throw, flood, features, price-point, and a well known name. But, it's a little too-new and a little too-late in the game to be my go-to. I've had a T4 since their inception. Never had an issue. It's been dropped, beat, dunked, bounced and generally abused and never missed a step. Looking at the beam shots, it may not have the spread of the Stinger LED, but it does have everything else, plus, all the intensity and more, a cleaner beam, and a proven track record.

What do you guys think?

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the new T4 the same length as the old (TIROS) T4? If not, how long is the new T4?

Thanks.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
parnass said:
Is the new T4 the same length as the old (TIROS) T4? If not, how long is the new T4?

Thanks.

Same dimensions everywhere: height, length, width, circumference, and, of course, girth.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
Does the New T4 have a blue tint? I really like the Inova more than the Streamlight because of the lithium ion battery, but the Stinger LED looks really bright. What kind of beam does the new T4 have compared to a surefire L5 or L7? and what about that runtime

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I've opened is very white. Haven't compared it side by side with an L5 or L7.

Factory says the runtime is 2hrs.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see some comaprison between the new T4 and either the SF L5 or L6. My hearts more on the SF since I have two already.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should have been made that way the first time....maybe I wouldn't have sold my T4 if that was the case.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
coontai - there's a whole thread about that in 'General.'

Their site is ~2.5 years out of date at this point - pathetic.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
MattK said:
coontai - there's a whole thread about that in 'General.'

Their site is ~2.5 years out of date at this point - pathetic.

I know. But I just can't stand how such a high end manufacturer can go so long without updating their website in this day in age? Sorry for the thread jacking.

adnj

Enlightened
I'm trusting the opinion of a man that has .45 Auto ammo sitting on his desk! (take a look at the second pic)

TorchMan

Enlightened
Nice beamshots, worth thousands of words. The new T4 does indeed have more sidespill. I've never been bothered by my old one's narrow spill and rings. It's good to read that it has about the same throw. I wonder about runtime, and regulation. Anyone know if it moon modes or just rapidly goes at the end? I've read same runtime, but anyone confirm that?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my t4 a few years ago after seeing Inova's ad for a hundred luman rechargable flashlight. I was stupid and ordered one and put my M3 combat light on ebay before the t4 arrived. As you could guess, I was NOT happy. I gave my purple beamed t4 away and swore I would never buy a Inova t4 again.

Looks like I might have to break that promise to myself. Thanks for the beamshots! Good job Inova...Now go update your website!!!

city cop

Newly Enlightened
Nice job TacticalGrilling:goodjob:

Thats a nice improvment on a already great light.