A couple of quick passport application questions

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am applying for a US passport for the first time and have a couple of questions. It asks for two photos. It doesn't really say but can they be identical or do they have to be different? Also it asks for a birth certificate. Is this something you just have to present at the place of application for proof of identity or will it be physically submitted during the application process and you will have to give it up. Anything else I should know? Thanks.

P.S. Also, it says the photos have to withstand a 225 degree heat mounting process. Do you think a print from an inkjet (Canon glossy photo plus) will take that ok?

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did my passport.

They require 2 pictures. I don't think they have to be the same. I had my pictures taken at Costco. I'm not sure if an inkjet picture works.

You have to send your birth certificate with your application. You birth certificate will be sent back when you receive your passport.

It took me a total of 5 weeks to receive my passsort.

You can go to, http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I filled my passport online in the PFD form then printed it out.

You can also search the nearest location, zip code for turining in your application. I took mine to a post office which was 5 miles away. It took me about 5 minutes to do everything. Cost is $97.00. But i paid for certified mail which brought my total to $103.00.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pictures have to be identical (i.e. 2 prints of the same picture). It has to meet their dimensional requirements for overall size and face size. Your birth certificate must be physically submitted with your application, but it will be returned to you along with your passport.

As for the photos, just have them taken at one of the many places that takes passport/visa photos, including some Costco stores as ernsanada mentioned. It's much less of a hassle than trying to submit a snapshot that might be rejected. They'll have the background correct, and it will be on acceptable paper for the heat bonding to the passport.

Also reminds me that I'd better go check the expiration date on mine. :)

geepondy said:
I am applying for a US passport for the first time and have a couple of questions. It asks for two photos. It doesn't really say but can they be identical or do they have to be different? Also it asks for a birth certificate. Is this something you just have to present at the place of application for proof of identity or will it be physically submitted during the application process and you will have to give it up. Anything else I should know? Thanks.

P.S. Also, it says the photos have to withstand a 225 degree heat mounting process. Do you think a print from an inkjet (Canon glossy photo plus) will take that ok?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco charges $4.99 for 2 passport photo's.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, with a real camera :) Generally it is only at the Costco's that have on-site photo processing (no relationship though) as the passport picture is probably done on a Polaroid passport camera (yeah, they made one specifically to take passport/visa pictures.)

geepondy said:
Costco will physically take the picture for you?

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Mailing in your birth certificate with an application sounds like an accident waiting to happen. If it gets lost you will have a lot of fun getting it replaced since you can no longer prove who you are.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
Lightmeup said:
Mailing in your birth certificate with an application sounds like an accident waiting to happen. If it gets lost you will have a lot of fun getting it replaced since you can no longer prove who you are.
You can get a new certified copy of your birth record at the county court house in the county that you were born in. I actually did that when I got my passport. I sent the copy in. I also got the copy back. You just need your driver's license and SS card and the knowledge of the full name, birthdate, and birth place of your parents. And the fee of course. I paid $25 I think, but I'm sure it's different in different counties. Sorry, I don't know the process if you live far away and try to do it by mail.

Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
birth cirtificate must be certified which means it has the physical raised stamp on it from the hospital. It can take quite a while to get one of these if you dont have it so get ahold of the place you were born and get the process rolling. they charge a little money for these.

The pictures have to be identical and they have to very specifically meet the requirements of how big your head needs to be in them, size and how much of the rest of your they show. It's much better to pay the 5 bucks to get them done. The camera place in the mall here does it, walgreens, CVS and the post office all take them for a couple of bucks with a poloroid like camera which spits out 2 copys with one shot. Just let them do it because if the pictures are wrong, or if the birth certificate is not stamped and the post office guy doesn't notice when he sends it out for you then it will take weeks to come back to tell you that it was wrong and you need to start all over again. So just get it all done right the first time.