SafeMode?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older computer running windows 98 and recently it has been coming up in safe mode. I restart it and hit Del then load the best settings and it comes up fine until I restart it, anyone have any ideas?
confused.gif
smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
My sister had the same problem, also running 98. I had her do a defrag and scan disk in the Safe mode, then she reloaded her Windows from the restore disk and it evidently cleaned up everything that needed to be "straightened up".

I think basically she had years of "stuff" that had trashed the registry and without "nickle & diming" it...this took care of her problem. Seemed to be too many software conflicts on her system. Maybe there's another method?

JJHitt

Enlightened
I make a point of running RegClean at least every six months. It's supposed to remove old/unused registry keys.

It's a free download from MS. And at the very least it wont brake anything even if it doesn't fix anything.

snuffy

Enlightened
Originally posted by JJHitt:
I make a point of running RegClean at least every six months. It's supposed to remove old/unused registry keys.

It's a free download from MS. And at the very least it wont brake anything even if it doesn't fix anything.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just tried to download it from the MS website and RegClean is no longer available from them. Best take good care of yours.
winkie.GIF

JJHitt

Enlightened
Sigh... I tried to locate it and got:

"The RegClean utility is no longer supported and has been removed from all Microsoft download sites."

It was NEVER "supported"... It was a use at your own risk utility that just happened to work real well.

Leave it to Mickeysoft...

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok when a run the RegClean it stops when it get to "Scanning Type Library identifyers for errors"?