The Pelican Warranty

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
OK, I just received my new Pelican 2410 PL in the mail today, and I've been using it a bit tonight, but I think I have a problem.....

On this light, the LED faces backwards towards a parabolic reflector (the 'recoil' principle). After about 20 minutes of constant use, I noticed the light head was warm, so I turned it off, but looking at the reflector, I notice what looks like fine linear cracks, most of the way across the reflector. I know the famous Pelican Waranty statement, 'you break it, we fix it for free', but after one day, and about half an hour of the quoted 32 hour runtime, the reflector is cracked???

Has anyone here got good things to say about Pelican customer services?

I might keep using the light, until the cracking becomes a major problem, or the reflector melts (plastic I think), but I'm not as impressed as I should be with my new Pelican light.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'd be dealing with Pelican in a different region than those of us on this side of the pond.

I'd guess the Pelican office that you would be dealing with would be their European division in Barcelona. http://www.peli.com/

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live close to the Norwegian importer of Pelican and they have always replaced whatever light I brought in with a new one.

It is easier if you can drop in, but they answer e-mails fast as well so you should be able to get it fixed quickly.

Sverre

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies folks,

The fine cracks could be as a result of the reflector backing expanding with heat, beyond the elasticity of the silver coating, maybe (I'm not the designer, just guessing).

I might see if the cracks get worse with further use, before taking any warranty action, but if the light has a runtime of 32 hours, and the output is 30 lumens (approx), then I would not have thought that it would get hot enough to cause damage. Ok, it's a plastic reflector, but what if I just left it switched on, would it melt, or catch fire??? it's a worry, but I might wait on this one, until I have a serious issue, like the reflector coating peeling or the reflector melting out of shape, so the beam is way off.