Budget flashlight....

oBMTo

Newly Enlightened
I am currently looking to purchase one of these 3 lights:

Fenix L2T
Fenix L1T
Inova X5

I am leaning heavily towards the L2T for a couple of reasons:
1. The use of AA batteries (although the Inova X5 use of CR123A is not too big of a deal)
2. Long battery life
3. The ability to use L1T body if I need more portability.

Is there anything I am missing that I should give the Inova X5 more consideration? How does it compare in terms of brightness to the L2T? The price is very appealing though.

Also are there any other flashlights in this price range that I should consider? And where are good places to purchase them? (I know the Inova is available at Target and the L2T is available at fenix-store.com)

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! THose look like mid-range flashlights to me. Budget for me is anything from 50 cents to $20. High end for me is anything over $100. Then again I'm a poor starving college student.
cimg1828kj4.jpg

this is my budget flashlight.. as well as my sig flashlights.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to agree with carbine there, wouldn't call them budget lights, but anyway. When it comes to brightness, the x5 is much more of a flood light, the fenixes has much better throw.

But I would get neither, why not get the Fenix L1D CE or L2D CE(hard to miss the threads if you look around here), IMHO much better and more versatile lights.
L1s and L2s could also be considered if you have a strict budget, pretty much as good as LxT series but 10 USD cheaper.
Liteflux has also a really good AA model which comes with both 1aa and 2aa tubes (they are coming with a cree model soon also).
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/liteflux_lf1.htm
To sum it up, buy a light with a cree in it. :)

And welcome to the forum!

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Lobo said:
\But I would get neither, why not get the Fenix L1D CE or L2D CE(hard to miss the threads if you look around here), IMHO much better and more versatile lights.
L1s and L2s could also be considered if you have a strict budget, pretty much

Just wait a little for the 1d ce or l2d ce. They will be worth the wait and they only cost a little more.

oBMTo

Newly Enlightened
I must have missed the L1D/L2D when I was perusing for a budget (or midrange) flashlight.

Will there be any difference in brightness between the two?

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D is not for sale yet I believe. Best to look at the threads about them in the LED section here. They will have a quite different operation than the L2T and L1T, if that matters at all. Some do not like the many multifuctions, which is what will keep me from buying one most likely.

I have both the L1T and X5, and they are very different lights, both good. The X5 is pretty bulletproof, and the L1T, which is an L1T/L2T head on a one AA cell body has had a few more issues from my reading and experience. Mostly in the switch, which is where mine has had problems.

You might also wish to wait a short bit and see the new Inova lineup, I understand they are changing pretty radically from the Tiros, to a floodier beam.

Dont forget the 2 AA and 3 AA Minimags either, they are a decent light for a good price too.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there and welcome to CPF,

My advice is to look around this site for more informations. Prior to Dec 2006, my knowledge about flashlights were very very limited. When I joined CPF, the amount of knowledge I gained from it was tremendous.

My recommendation to you is look around and ask questions, many many questioned until you are sure to purchasae which lite that suits your specs. Then have a look around the B/S/T section (Buy/Sell/Trade) and most times you can actually get quality lites at a really reasonable price. I bought my L1 from a CPFer and I'm glad that I did as at the end of the day, I got what I wanted at a cheaper reasonable price.

Have fun............

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome,

I would go for your first choice: the L2T as you can always later purchase a 1-AA tube
if needed,

InfidelCastro

Banned
Seems to have fallen out of trend a long time ago now, but don't forget the River Rock 2AAA flashlight at Target. Just a .5W emitter, but puts out a solid real world 12-15 torch lumens for 5 hours on a couple of cheap AAA alkaline batteries, much longer on lithium AAA's. And keeps running alot longer at a lower level.

Only $10 and really small. Comes in black or silver and has a pocket clip. Also has a tactical style pushbutton/twisty tailcap. I can't wait for a Cree type version someday, that will be an incredible bargain.

I still carry my River Rock 2AAA around the house all the time at night. The batteries seem to last forever and this particular one is an over-achiever in the lux category.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
i liek the L2S myself best UI imho aside from that I would advise against most fenix's because of their strange UI.

Apart from the twisty digital fenix's, I can't say that there is a problem with their UI. That's what I love with the L1D/L2D, you just twist the bezel to get either high or low, you dont have to ever bother with the other levels if you don't want to(frankly, I'm getting sick of all these different lvls, just give me superbright with no consideration to batterylife and a low that runs over 10hours on 1AA)

oBMTo

Newly Enlightened
I think I am just going to wait for the L2D. Although the more time I spend without a flashlight the more time I have to ponder whether or not to splurge on a Surefire L4........