P1 fried

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I think I fried my P1 . . . I put the battery in backwards. I didnt see the smoke, but something smelled fishy :grin2:

so when the battery is installed correctly, the led lights up dimly. . .

what did I break? how can I fix it, preferably making it better than stock. . .

If I install a flupic, will that fix the problem?

again, the LED does light up very dimly, but I dont know if thats the problem or if its the circuitry that fried first. which usually is the first to go?

NAW

Enlightened
Fenix flashlghts among many other flashlights lack "reverse polarity protection". Meaning the light wont be protected when you install the batteries wrong.

Sorry, I have no idea how you can fix it.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
NAW said:
Fenix flashlghts among many other flashlights lack "reverse polarity protection". Meaning the light wont be protected when you install the batteries wrong.

Sorry, I have no idea how you can fix it.

yeah, I learned the hard way :-D but i guess its all good. I havent been here for a few months, and I'm not a fan of having to use google to search around, although i guess it does save a lot of bandwidth for the servers. also, is sasha still requiring supporter status for BST< or did that fall through? that was the time that I left CPF. . .

dyyys1

Enlightened
How long did you have it turned on? I once put the battery in backwards on my P1, but I immediately realized my mistake when the light did not turn on. It was only on for a second, and there has been no problem since then.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
it didnt turn on at all, and I immediately took it out and flipped it, but apparently the damage had been done.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Sgaterboy said:
If I install a flupic, will that fix the problem?
I've never put a flupic in a P1, but I did manage to blow up a Civictor board and put a fenix style Flupic in as a replacement, it won't run on a AA anymore, but I use 14500's anyway. Very happy with the Flupic and feel I've rescued a $100 flashlight. I took the oportunity while I had it apart to relace the Lux with a better bin. If I were you I be giving it a go. To answer you original question, the flupic should fix your problem.
Norm

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if the P1 has reverse polarity protection but it sounds like the circuit was damaged. Make sure you've got a good battery in there first and then it may be mod time if it is smoked. I think it's a difficult mod but I believe some have done it. Good luck - might also see if it can be returned.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Norm said:
I've never put a flupic in a P1, but I did manage to blow up a Civictor board and put a fenix style Flupic in as a replacement, it won't run on a AA anymore, but I use 14500's anyway. Very happy with the Flupic and feel I've rescued a $100 flashlight. I took the oportunity while I had it apart to relace the Lux with a better bin. If I were you I be giving it a go. To answer you original question, the flupic should fix your problem.
Norm

I'll do the flupic... I'm having a devil of a time finding it on the search engine... I'm trying "flupic p1 shipping" and several others but no dice... any hints on good keywords to use to find the dealer thread?

drizzle

Enlightened
dyyys1 said:
I didn't know it was possible to hurt it if it wasn't turned on.:confused:
My thoughts exactly. Maybe it was making contact when he put it in backwards but because it was backwards it didn't appear to be "on".

Before you try anything else try another battery. Maybe you have coincidently got a bad battery.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
ZTS says battery is 100%. I tried another one.

the light did not turn on when the battery was in backwards. . . I'm waiting on a reply from 4sevens right now, he's on vacation, so. . .

he'll probably show up on this thread anyways, the guy is AMAZING with customer service. even if he can't help me here (it was my fault, i guess i have to admit) I'll still never buy fenixes from another store just from my past dealings with him.

paulr

Flashaholic
I put a nimh aa into my L1p backwards and turned it on, it didn't light and I saw what happened and reversed it, seems to light fine now, I can't easily tell if it's dimmer now than before.

dyyys1

Enlightened
Is there anything else you did around the same time that could have hurt it? I'm not convinced that it was the backwards battery. As I said before, I did the same thing with my P1, except that I turned it on, and no damage occured. Have you dropped it? Gotten it wet? Try cleaning the contacts.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
nope. it was getting a LITTLE dim and I figured I'd replace the battery. it never got dropped, jostled, or bumped in any way.

I've tried another battery, its definately the light. it turns on way, way dim.

paulr

Flashaholic
Might be a blown led, hopefully replaceable without too much hassle. Good chance to upgrade to a higher bin, too.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
what would be the evidence of that? the led color still appears normal, just dim. could I do a cree?