Klarus        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix L0D CE – A quick first look and my impressions

Default Fenix L0D CE – A quick first look and my impressions

Received my L0D CE from the Fenix-Store today and here are my quick look impressions:

Reflector – deeper and has a smaller diameter at the front than does the L0P SE or L0D with lux emitter; surface (texture) of L0D CE reflector appears same as in previous Fenix AAA Lux-based models.

Beam – spill area is narrow than my lux-based LOD or L0P SE (not surprising based on smaller diameter of reflector); the hotspot is also slightly smaller. Beam is relatively smooth without what I would call actual rings; yet, it does not appear to me as smooth as AAA lux-based models.

Brightness – I was most interested in how the L0D CE running on a Energizer lithium primary battery would compare with an lux L0D running on a lithium ion 10440 rechargeable battery. On all settings, the lux L0D appeared brighter to me; but, I don’t have a light meter. However, when the L0D CE was run with a lithium ion 10440, it left the lux L0D way behind. This CE based light is insanely bright when running on a lithium ion rechargeable. However, on the high setting my light gets very hot in just a few seconds.

Runtimes: Unknown; I’ll rely on others here.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Fenix L0D CE – A quick first look and my impressions

Thanks for the review,
    Good to know the CE version is close to the brightness of the Lux version running lithium-ion cells. No overheating problems and considerably longer runtimes are a bonus. Have you tried it on a NiMH AAA?
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Where can you get the charger for the 10440? I notice that it is out of stock at Lighthound.

Quote Originally Posted by BentHeadTX
    Thanks for the review,
    Good to know the CE version is close to the brightness of the Lux version running lithium-ion cells. No overheating problems and considerably longer runtimes are a bonus. Have you tried it on a NiMH AAA?
    I did try a NiMH briefly -- no apparent change from using an Energizer lithium.

I did not mean to leave the impression that the L0D CE running on an Energizer primary was nearly as bright as the lux-based L0D running on a lithium ion rechargable though... I only have my eyes to go by; but, when my eyeballs can tell the lux L0D on a lithium ion is clearly brigher than the L0D CE on an Enigerizer primary, the real difference in brightness could be significant.
    Last edited by BrightGal; 01-27-2007 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Free
    Where can you get the charger for the 10440? I notice that it is out of stock at Lighthound.
    I got mine from AW. He has a battery sales thread in the Dealers' Forum and the chargers are in there too.

So what about comparing the CE to the LOP with the same battery, 2x as bright?
    Is the physical size the same?
    Mags: 2C: R/O, True Cyan, UV. 3C:Penta-XR-E Q5, Single SSC P4. Nitecore D10, Fenix LOD-CE, ArcAAA

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacHayes
    So what about comparing the CE to the LOP with the same battery, 2x as bright?
    Is the physical size the same?
    Same physical size and shape. Don't know if it's twice as bright when using liIon; but, it's clearly significantly brighter. I would say almost twice as bright by my eyes. Sorry, I don't have a light meter.

A comparison of the L0D CE on primary vs the L0D on high with both on NiMH would be greatly appreciated.

One of the things I don't like about my L0P SE is that the total beam angle is so wide that the spill is pretty dim and unusable. It sounds like I'll be happier with the L0D CE that I ordered.

Thanks for posting the first report on the L0D CE!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike abcd
    A comparison of the L0D CE on primary vs the L0D on high with both on NiMH would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike
    Mike, the L0D CE is brighter on NiMH compared to the lux-based L0D also on NiMH and this is clearly discernable with just my eyeballs. This is true for all three brightness levels and not just primary. If I had to guess, I say that Fenix only changed the emitter and reflector for the L0D CE; but, that is pure speculation on my part.

I meant comparing both with say a NiMH the cree should be 2x as bright. Any route it's brighter so that's cool Thanks.

Mike: yeah the cree should have a ton of spill since the led it'self throws more light out the front and less towards the reflector. Even un-focused the spill is bright since there is so many lumens coming out. That's one reason why I like the XRE for small EDC lights, as the spill is so strong, it's good for upclose work. The P4/luxeon puts more light into the reflector, and those are good for larger lights where you want more throw.
    Mags: 2C: R/O, True Cyan, UV. 3C:Penta-XR-E Q5, Single SSC P4. Nitecore D10, Fenix LOD-CE, ArcAAA

Quote Originally Posted by BrightGal
    Mike, the L0D CE is brighter on NiMH compared to the lux-based L0D also on NiMH and this is clearly discernable with just my eyeballs. This is true for all three brightness levels and not just primary. If I had to guess, I say that Fenix only changed the emitter and reflector for the L0D CE; but, that is pure speculation on my part.
    Thanks. I definitely expect it to be brighter but thought the Cree on primary vs the Lux on high might help in judging just how much brighter. I'd expect the Lux to win but hopefully the difference won't be huge.

Mike

Thanks. I definitely expect it to be brighter but thought the Cree on primary vs the Lux on high might help in judging just how much brighter. I'd expect the Lux to win but hopefully the difference won't be huge.

Mike
    Ah thanks, I did not read your first request correctly; my fault, it was clearly stated.

The Cree on primary is not as bright as the lux on high when both are running on NiMHs. But, I would not call the lux significantly brighter; just brighter.

Many thanks! That comparison and your comments about the beam hot spot and spill help a LOT. It sounds like what I was hoping for.

I've got a P1D CE and actually like the how bright the spill is while still having good throw and hot spot size. My L0P SE seems to be an under performer and after the spill is spread over the large total beam angle, I find it pretty useless.

Mike

Flashaholic

Let's try these quick and dirty beamshots. I haven't figured out how to post/host pics with my new ISP so here they are on Flickr. If someone can embed these in this thread, feel free...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38142466@N00/

Left to right
    L0D CE High, L1Pv2.5, Arc AAAp
    all running Lithium primaries

BrightGal, I'm curious to know how hot you feel it gets on high with an Energizer lithium.

Thanks

My L0D CE only gets warm on high when running on Energizer lithium or NiMH batteries mayo. I would not fear running it continuously.

My light gets hot as hell in just a few seconds when on high and running on a lithium ion 10440 though.

Thanks BrightGal & txmatt.

From the description it seems the L0D-CE only comes with a keychain attachment. I ordered a pocket clip seperately. Did I do the right thing?

I have no intention of clipping the L0D-CE to my pocket but all the AA/AAA lights need a user supplied anti-roll device.

Flashaholic

it also comes with a pocket clip too, along with an extra o-ring.

When running 10400 li-ion, can you go to lower modes, or is it always bright/max?
    Last edited by IsaacHayes; 01-27-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txmatt
    Let's try these quick and dirty beamshots. I haven't figured out how to post/host pics with my new ISP so here they are on Flickr. If someone can embed these in this thread, feel free...

Left to right
    L0D CE High, L1Pv2.5, Arc AAAp
    all running Lithium primaries
    Nice pictures. Thanks. It looks like the L0D-CE is as bright as the L1P. Very impressive.

Flashaholic

medium mode with this light is brighter then my TNC N cell with an AAA tube that I use as a keychain light. It's slightly shorter, somewhat skinnier, and a bit lighter. My one complaint is that it's a bit to easy to turn the bezel and I fear it could turn on in my pocket if I used it as a keychain.

Plus I don't want to give my TNC light up.. it's given me years of good service and with the HA coating wearing off the knurling and all it really gives it a nice look, kind of like an exceptional finely toned XF-40 Barber Half dollar.
    Last edited by stockwiz; 01-27-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Crackup Re: Fenix L0D CE – A quick first look and my impressions

Photo compared to a Arc AAA-P, ROTFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by EngrPaul
    Photo compared to a Arc AAA-P, ROTFLMAO
    ROTFLMAO - Rolling On The Floor Laughing My @$$ Off
    I had to look that up.

Acrually the comparison gave me useful tint information. The L0D-CE does not have the angry blue common with Nichia 5mm LEDs

All brightness levels plus the strobe and SOS work fine on my L0D CE when it's running on a lithium ion rechargable. However, the high level gets very hot very fast.

My L0D CE came with a pocket clip, a small split ring, and a spare o-ring.

great news about being able to change levels with li-ion. Hopefully the same will be for the L1D-CE too.

Thanks for the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacHayes
    great news about being able to change levels with li-ion. Hopefully the same will be for the L1D-CE too.

Thanks for the answers!
    Probably not on the L1D CE and L2D CE. The L0D CE low and medium levels are different on LiOn because they're PWM and don't drive the LED continuously.

The L1D CE and L2D CE are supposed to be "regulated" on all levels. For Fenix, that has meant a boost regulator that can only raise the battery voltage. When the LED draws more current than the "regulation" level at the current battery voltage, the regulator "drops out" and the LED becomes direct driven.

Mike

Mike - Can you describe the difference between the "regulated" light and the PWM?

The "low" mode on my L2T is much dimmer when using 1.2V 2100 mAh cells as opposed to when I'm using 1.5V Alkaline/Lithium primaries. So this must be one of the "regulated" lights?

Flashaholic

Two more photos added... L0D CE on high at night at ~40 feet.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BrightGal
    My L0D CE came with a pocket clip, a small split ring, and a spare o-ring.
    Wish they would have made that clear up front. I might not have ordered one to go with mine

Flashaholic

Probably not on the L1D CE and L2D CE. The L0D CE low and medium levels are different on LiOn because they're PWM and don't drive the LED continuously.

The L1D CE and L2D CE are supposed to be "regulated" on all levels. For Fenix, that has meant a boost regulator that can only raise the battery voltage. When the LED draws more current than the "regulation" level at the current battery voltage, the regulator "drops out" and the LED becomes direct driven.

Mike
    I actually think an L1D CE will run good on a li-ion. The head of the L1D and L2D are the same if I remember correctly. The head has the same output in the first series (with the lower modes and the SOS) both with 3 Volts and with 1.5 Volts. So it will be also the same on 3.6 Volts I think.
    Rexlight 2.0, Ultrafire C3, Ultrafire WF-602D (modded with cree), Fenix E1 (modded with seoul)(EDC), Jetbeam XR-E, Nuwai 5W 4C (modded with Cree) and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast