Alaskan CPFrs?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I got to meet "tibim" tonight. He lives right here in Anchorage. Nice to meet a fellow CPFr instead of merely reading posts here all the time. I feel like I know a few of you without meeting you as it is...but you know, it's that "group therapy" thing. He brought his new Tiger Light FBOP over, first time I'd seen one. Nice throw! Amazingly lightweight!

I know Daniel Ramsey lives just a little north of Anchorage, and another antique torch collector a little closer, however was just wondering if any of you other mysterious CPFrs may live in Alaska?

We may have to establish the "Aurora Borealis CPF Post"?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman -

Just going to tip toe in and tip toe out. Alaska is so big and mountainous that your meeting LedFanFromJuneau must be a bit more of a logistical issue than most intrastate CPFers might have.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oh yeah...no roads in - no roads out. I almost feel that way in Anchorage, one road south - one road north (but then the "North Escape" aka Glenn Highway breaks into two roads about 35 miles north and the "South Escape" aka Seward Highway break into two roads about 70 or so <???> miles south; I may have my miles a little off, but not by much! - Wooo Hooo!)

Although LedFan may get into Anchorage from time to time? A lot of flights get their connections here. I'd have to give him a "CPF Welcome" schedule permitting (the Alaska Railroad "owns" me!
grin.gif
).

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Former Alaskan here. I grew up in Juneau. So did Craig. I'll make it back for a visit one of these days.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well I would certainly hope you would let us (all 3 or 4 or us
grin.gif
) know prior to your visit!!

I was sure that I read Craig's Mom lived here (Anchorage or Juneau?), but didn't remember where Craig grew up.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by Masala:
former Alaskan here as well...8 years in Homer ALaska!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">--------------------
Ahhhhh, now there's a beautiful place!!
p1822b.jpg

"HALIBUT CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!"

Homer_halibut.jpg

What did you do while in Homer?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sigman,

I don't live in Alaska but end up there every summer. As a matter of fact, I just got back from Anchorage last thursday.

Next time, I'll drop you a line and see if we can get together.

Tom

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another former Alaskan. Born and raised there. Lived about 1/2 way between Palmer and Wasilla. In Idaho now.

-Darin

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
evan9162 - When did you "head out"? If it's been a few years...that area up around Wasilla & Palmer sure has changed in the last 10 years or so!

bushcamp - Did you tell me this before? It's ringing the ole' bell...What do you do up around Tok? Remember those bad fires that were up that way? Good hunting there too!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sigman:
evan9162 - When did you "head out"? If it's been a few years...that area up around Wasilla & Palmer sure has changed in the last 10 years or so!

bushcamp - Did you tell me this before? It's ringing the ole' bell...What do you do up around Tok? Remember those bad fires that were up that way? Good hunting there too!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">96, when I graduated from HS. The Parks highway runs in front of my house - the rebuilding project starting at the Parks/Glenn intersection is the most apparent change - an entire overpass for Trunk road!
shocked.gif

I only get home once a year at christmas - about the worst possible time to visit too!

-Darin

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Born & raised in Juneau here. Moved to Seattle in 1985, but I lived in Alaska prior to that.
grin.gif

I remember when they towed away the old Juneau-Douglas bridge and opened that hideous asphalt thing (aka. the "new" JD bridge) in its place.
tongue.gif

Funny this topic shows up now - just tonight I got an email from somebody in Alaska I haven't seen or heard from since the mid 1970s!
shocked.gif

Seems he stumbled across my insulator site while looking for pictures of the old JD bridge.
blush.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Craig, how long you been collecting insulators? There's fellow up here that owns "Superior Fireplaces" (or something like that)...he travels around the world collecting them. Had the opportunity to purchase a fireplace from him and when I saw what he had in his office....can't describe it - insulators from the floor to the ceiling, wall to wall!!! I've got to go find your insulator site now!

Never been to Juneau...some call it "Little Switzerland"!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Sigman:
Craig, how long you been collecting insulators? ... I've got to go find your insulator site now!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Sigman!

I was collecting insulators up in Juneau around age 6 or 7; I found most of them up by the substation at the Treadwell mines at the base of Mt. Roberts, but I ended up losing most of them when I moved to Seattle in the mid-1980s.
frown.gif
So I started collecting them again when I got my own place here in Seattle.

My insulator website is right here if you're interested in those things.
smile.gif

If you click on "The Stories" it says how I got started collecting them.
grin.gif

BKO

Newly Enlightened
Fairbanks,checking in, (for the past 8 years).
Been in Anchorage for the previous 7 years,with a short stint in Ketchikan.

Regards,Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hello Bill, glad ya posted! I work for the Alaska Railroad Signal Dept., used to make it up there quite alot, but it's tapered off since we hired a couple other techs.

Aircraft Mech eh? I used to do avionics for Uncle Sam's planes (21 years worth!)...

This is looking better, maybe someday (and who has time? I guess it's one of those, you just have to make time things...) we could indeed have that "Aurora Borealis CPF G.T."!