Dorcy 3D 1Watt LED on sale at lowes!!!!!!!!

cutlerylover

Banned
Hey guys...I just got back from lowes and I picked up a dorcy 3D 1Watt LED light for $6.99! It was the last one on sale from $27.99...I love this light and for the price I can't complain! Anyone else have this light? If so how do you like yours?

IMGP6447.jpg

IMGP6445.jpg

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the cheapest ticket to ride with a Seoul Semiconductor P4 led mod. :wow:

#1 Remove stock Luxeon1 led from it's star by desoldering it's leads, lift them up, and pop the sucker off with a small screwdriver.

#2 Clean the Luxeon1 star of any leftover adhesive with a sharpened small screwdriver.

#3 Install a SSC P4 onto the Luxeon1 star and "bullseye" it onto there with some heatsink grease, or permanantly stick it on with Arctic Alumina adhesive.
The notched secondary lead on a SSC P4 is it's (-) side.

#4 Solder it's leads onto the Luxeon1 star's lead pads.

#5 Enjoy a significant improvement at a low price in a decent light. :rock:

Edit:
As if I don't have enough lights already, but I think i'll go get a couple of these Dorcy's if I can find them.
I already have the SSC P4 leds on hand now. ;)

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was the flashlight that caused a bit of a CPF sensation/rush when they went on clearance at Target (in April last year) - my comparison review -

Dorcy 1watt 3D - huh? WoW!

It's a really good thrower - check out the outdoors beamshots in Post #6
in this thread -

"Practical" Beamshots? pt.2 (outdoors)

where there are lots of other lights one can compare to directly -
I thought it out-threw the fabulous SureFire 9P (xenon 3x CR123)
(see post #12 for directly comparable color removed/desaturated shots)

See also Post #29 in the thread

"Practical" Beamshots?

for stairway shots showing more in terms of overall brightness and distribution of light. (color removed/desaturated shots in Post #30 )

Don't miss it at this price!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grab all you can find at that price. I had one but the battery rattle got to me after a bit. (Easy fix, I know but...) I ended up giving it to a bro-in-law, but it's a great light nonetheless.
I also had a 4D MagLED that I sold recently as I have a 2D and I'm finding I just prefer that size alot more.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks guys for the replies, and the good links, I tried a search for this light but somehow missed that one, Thanks! If I can get a hold of a cree soon I will try to mod this guy! I would have bought a few more for friends if they had them, but like I said there was just 1 left on the shelf...I was lookign at the maglites and the yellow sale sticker caught my eye...I saw the price tag and saw Dorcy (I love all my dorcy lights) So I had to buy it!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
cutlerylover said:
Thanks guys for the replies, and the good links, I tried a search for this light but somehow missed that one, Thanks! If I can get a hold of a cree soon I will try to mod this guy! I would have bought a few more for friends if they had them, but like I said there was just 1 left on the shelf...I was lookign at the maglites and the yellow sale sticker caught my eye...I saw the price tag and saw Dorcy (I love all my dorcy lights) So I had to buy it!

I'm about to love Dorcy a whole lot more if these multicell drop-in LEDs they're introducing is anything worth writing home about.

Illum

Flashaholic
cutlerylover said:
Anyone else have this light? If so how do you like yours?

its one bright dot far in the distance:candle:....marginal spill, okay water resistance, pretty weatherproof:huh:, small heatsink for the light, horrible tint:mad:, led off center...:ohgeez:
the battery compartment smells like green eggs and expired ham....:thumbsdow:whistle:

But I like mine, I dunno why, but I like it

Walt175

Enlightened
I think I bought the last one in NJ at target last year. I think I'm going to Lowes tomorrow! This is a great light, and this is an unbeatable price!

cutlerylover

Banned
Since it was on sale/clearance I don't think that my lowes will have anymore anytime soon...Maybe they just stopped makign this model and they were selling the old stock? This was the 1st I heard of it...for the price I would have purchased all of them if they had more! Solid aluminum body with rubber grips...Mine is kind of a dark grey color and the grips are black...The hot spot is not centered but its not off too bad, just a tiny bit...but it has great throw, and once again for $6.99 its the best bargain I got on a light yet!

Hellbore

Enlightened
Anyone know what the driver circuitry is like? Does it just use a resistor, or what? How does the driver compare to a MagLED?

cutlerylover

Banned
More pics...1st pic is of the LED, the second pic is a beamshot with no reflector/head on at 6" from the wall...the next picture is also at 6" but with the reflector...and the last pic is just the beam on an angle...

IMGP6461.jpg

IMGP6464.jpg

IMGP6465.jpg

IMGP6466.jpg

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonShock said:
Yep, resistor only.
Oftentimes I prefer direct-drive flashlights for modding purposes. If using rechargeable batteries, you tend to get a "flatter" discharge curve anyway (due to less battery internal resistance), and you can easily control your brightness by selecting a different resistor, or even throwing in a multi-level switch with different resistances.

I recently modified an old sub-1W direct-drive 3AAA flashlight to run a Cree LED, and pulled out the resistor. I now use it to run down "dead" AAAs that have too little charge to run anything else, but still light up that cree FAR brighter than the stock flashlight did on fresh batteries.

Last edited:

Hellbore

Enlightened
I see, not bad then. Is the heatsinking on this light decent?

If so, it might be worth looking into. I like my Magled 3D but I have to confess it has atrocious heatsinking. Maybe if this Dorcy light has good heatsinking it could be used to drive a Cree harder, more to its limits...say 1000 mA maybe, since Cree just announced their LED's are rated for that current level :D

fishx65

Enlightened
Try turning the reflecter to center the Led on these. It worked on all three of mine. If the hotspot remains just as tight with a Cree mod on this light we may have a new throw champion! I hope someone does it soon!